Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Greystones anyone moving there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Terri.D wrote:
    hey all,
    congrats to all the newcomers! Just wondering am i the only one with a kid? I live in the court and apart from the 8yrold and 12yrold across the road from me there doesn't seem to be any other kids in charlesland court. I have a 6yr old boy who is getting a bit bored with going up and down the street on his scooter he keeps asking me where all the other kids are and well 'where are all the other kids?' I have seen some older kids, a few babies and some little girls but what little boy wants to play with little girls?

there's a few kids who play football on our green in Charlesland Grove (opposite Charlesland Grove montessori). I'd say they're between 6 and 10 years old.

Most people in Charlesland are either singles, or young couples with no kids, or very young kids. Inevitable in a new estate, particularly one with so many 2 beds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

loyatemu wrote:
    there's a few kids who play football on our green in Charlesland Grove (opposite Charlesland Grove montessori). I'd say they're between 6 and 10 years old.

Most people in Charlesland are either singles, or young couples with no kids, or very young kids. Inevitable in a new estate, particularly one with so many 2 beds.

My future sister in law (she'll be in grove next week) has two small girls, and her neighbour has a little boy about 6 or 7. But there are still plenty of empty houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

dublingirl wrote:
    A friend directed me to this thread. Have bought in the Park and am awaiting notification to go and snag - have to say am a bit concerned re the break-ins as will be there by myself - great about the drinks night in January though - very good idea. Anybody else in the Park got their notification yet to snag?

I moved into Seabourne by myself in May and I have to say I feel perfectly safe. In the apartments there's always people around. I even got stuck walking back from the dart later than I would usually like to and the police stopped and offered me a lift home. I'd say once everyone moves in they'll all be looking out for each other. Good luck with your snag!

As you all know, NTL is our only option for television as we are bound by contract NOT to install satellite dishes.
    However I know a guy from Eden Gate and they all use a company called Broadworks.
    Now I don’t know about ye lot, but I personally would prefer to use a different company than NTL. I rang Broadworks today and they were not aware of any demand in Charlsland. They are €20 per month but it’s only €80 to get connected and that covers up to 3 extra connections. I’ve seen the picture and E4, Channel 4 and Discovery are perfect. These are notoriously poor with NTL's basic service. If you’re like myself and just want the basic TV pack and not the full digital (they have digital too) give them a call. It won’t hurt and maybe if demand gets high enough they may get access to Charlsland and we’ll actually be allowed to choose our services, now that would be something!
    It won’t happen immediately but if they get enough interest it might happen in the future........

See www.broadworks.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

FYI - I checked with that Broadworks place and received this response:

Many thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately Broadworks are unable to service
    your area. We do look after other developments for Durkan Homes but as far
    as I am aware Durkans Homes have the contract with NTL for your development.
    In order for Broadworks to service your home we would need to have the
    contract with the developers in the very initial stages and then install all
    of our network in the development before the homes are built. So this means
    that if our network is not in place we can not service your area.

If you talk to your developers and express your feelings about being limited
    to one provider they might be able to arrange something for you, maybe it
    might be worth giving it a shot.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to call me on 01

Thanks again for your enquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublingirl

wingding wrote:
    Good luck with your snag!

Thanks for that - looks like it will be a while longer before I get to snag. Managed to get in to the apartment on Saturday (no hall door hung) so had a good look around and there is quite a bit of work to be done yet. I'd say I'd be lucky to snag before Christmas - kinda suits me anyway :) Mind you didn't like the look of the hole they had dug in kitchen floor hmmmm...

Ru wrote:
    I’ve seen the picture and E4, Channel 4 and Discovery are perfect. These are notoriously poor with NTL's basic service.

NTL's service in Charlesland is all digital so the picture quality is the same on all channels, and its pretty good. They do charge you through the nose for extra connections though (because you need an extra decoder for each room).

re: the ban on satellite dishes - there are loads of houses with dishes already up. The management company is supposed to work on behalf of the residents so if enough residents object to the ban it could be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Folks,

Our tiles have been done, and we have been left with a full bag of wall and floor tiling adhesive. It's gonna be thrown out in the next day or two, unless anyone wants to take it away?

PM me if you want it.

Eoin

loyatemu wrote:
    NTL's service in Charlesland is all digital so the picture quality is the same on all channels, and its pretty good. They do charge you through the nose for extra connections though (because you need an extra decoder for each room).

re: the ban on satellite dishes - there are loads of houses with dishes already up. The management company is supposed to work on behalf of the residents so if enough residents object to the ban it could be removed.

The first letter we received when we moved in was a letter from the Management Company insisting that we remove our (imaginary) satellite dish. I rang them to point out their error and apparently only 2 letters were to be sent out, 200 were actually sent!!!
    There are a lot more than 2 dishes around!
    I wanted to get an Irishbroadband antenna put up on the house, so I rang the Management Company to see how serious they are and they strictly stand by the ban. When it boils down to it, if one person objects to your satellite dish or antenna you are bound by contract to take it down.
    Personally I wouldn’t mind testing them on it but if you have one installed, you pay for it. If you are forced to take it down by legal order you pay for it to be removed. On top of this (and I’ve checked) you still have to pay for your 12 months sky/Irishbroadband as, and I quote “If you are forced to have it removed it is of no fault to our service, you will still have to pay for your 12 month contract”
    TV isn’t that important to me, but having a choice is, and after paying huge money for a home and to be dictated to by someone I’m paying to cut the grass….. well it sounds a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Just been reading through this thread...it's huge. Last time I had a look there were only about 8 pages.
    Were moving into the last block of Duplexes in C'land Court. Hope to be in before Christmas...snag is done at this stage so it's just down to the final inspection and the paperwork now.
    Just to let you all know, we got hold of someone to put in a basic furniture package.(incl beds, table, chairs, sofa carpets and flooring etc.) I know there are a few people doing this kind of thing at the moment, but this girl really got things done fast and came in a couple of ks below all the others.
    If any of you are interested, I recommend you contact her.
    Her names Cliona, get her on: 086 8324103.

I hear the empty boozer is gonna stay empty until someone with money to burn comes up with the readies for the rip off lease.
    Any truth in the rumour that someones throwing a Christmas party with free food and drink in C'land court on 21 Dec(Ha! Ha!).

• Advertisement

Just been reading through this thread...it's huge. Last time I had a look there were only about 8 pages.

Hmmm, maybe we can propose a Charleland / Greystones forum under the "East" one if we get enough support from the posters here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Folks,

We are buying a two bed townhouse with front kitchen and we have been getting prices on laminate flooring for the downstairs of the house however we have been given a price of approx 2200!!!:eek:

Has anyone had any success getting cheaper wooden laminate anywhere else???

Just to let you know I would not be in a position to do it myself!!!!:D :

Your help would be much appreciated!!!:)

anniec wrote:
    Folks,

We are buying a two bed townhouse with front kitchen and we have been getting prices on laminate flooring for the downstairs of the house however we have been given a price of approx 2200!!!:eek:

Has anyone had any success getting cheaper wooden laminate anywhere else???

Just to let you know I would not be in a position to do it myself!!!!:D :

Your help would be much appreciated!!!:)

Hi anniec,

That seems pretty expensive for laminate - we put it in our place, and it cost roughly 1000, though that was without labour as my friends and I did it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Hi Anniec
    Eoin_s is dead right. That price seems like a complete rip off. Putting down laminate flooring yourself is not brain surgery. It's quite easy, just takes a bit of time. Even if you're getting someone to fit it, you shouldn't be paying as much as 2200.
    Have you tried asking one of the guys on-site if he's be prepared to do a nixer??

Have you tried asking one of the guys on-site if he's be prepared to do a nixer??

Good idea, they know the houses well, and are always on site. We got our tiles done by Durkans' tiler and we were very happy.

anniec, do you have a figure for the amount of square yards/metres you need done?
    Nice laminate flooring should cost no more than €25 per square yard, and this would get you the nicest type of laminate flooring that has a grain that you can feel, rather than just printed on. The beading and underlay was about another hundred.

The figure you got is a rip-off. Even if you were getting a large area of 50 square yards done, that would still work out at over €40 per square yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

re: flooring - we found solid oak floor boards in Brooks in Sandyford Ind. Est. for €35per sq. yd. AND we were told that they'd be going on sale in Jan for prob. €30. We've bought a 2bed in C'land Park (back kitchen) and to do the whole ground floor with all the bits included would cost approx. €1700 (we've got to install it ourselves though). But this is by far the cheapest we've found.
    HTH
    Anyone else think that Brereton's in Greystones makes up prices as soon as they hear you're moving into C'land (and therefore going to use a voucher?). We've gone in twice now and have received different quotes...

ryecatcher wrote:
    Anyone else think that Brereton's in Greystones makes up prices as soon as they hear you're moving into C'land (and therefore going to use a voucher?). We've gone in twice now and have received different quotes...

Ru, me and our respective partners are undecided about the whole thing actually. We have come up with two possibilities:

1) They are cunning people who know loads of people are moving into the estate and are most likely to use the voucher there, rather than Bargaintown. They then change the prices to suit the voucher.

2) They are the most hopelessly inept shaved monkeys that have ever worked in retail before, and need a cheat sheet to remind them to breath.

We are leaning towards #2

Hey people,

As this thread has gotten absolutely huge (18 pages now!), I have put a request in for a specific forum for Charlesland, or at least a Greystones one.

It is hard enough to get a new forum created, but even harder if there is no support for it, so can you please go to this thread, and add your support?

Thanks,

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ccfcexile

does anyone know if anything about the local soccer and gaa clubs ?? how to join etc some of the locals seem pretty clicky

ryecatcher wrote:

I don't have the tie or patience to write about my experiences with them but I would bet money that they are cunning gits who are using incompetence to cover their blatant overcharging. If anyone else has used them for blinds I’d love to hear what they paid....if i see huge differences I’ll happily bring it up with the owner.
    We got the Golden Oak 50mm on all windows, and the 25mm on the double doors at the back. We chose not to have blinds put on the front door. We were originally quoted €1055.
    Someone else in the company then quoted us €945.
    We have not paid anything as they forgot parts and we have not heard from them in nearly 2 weeks as to when they will complete the job.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    Hey people,

As this thread has gotten absolutely huge (18 pages now!), I have put a request in for a specific forum for Charlesland, or at least a Greystones one.

It is hard enough to get a new forum created, but even harder if there is no support for it, so can you please go to this thread, and add your support?

Thanks,

Eoin

Hi folks, any chance of clicking on the link above and adding your support for a dedicated Charlesland or Greystones or Wicklow forum? This thread is just getting waaay too big!

Eoin

(thanks ccfcexile!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

So judging from some of the comments above breretons sound a bit dodgy :confused: - we got a quote for just over eur1000for 2 bed townhouse - carpeting stairs , landing and 2 bedrooms. we are not moving in till early 06 but just wanted to getan idea of cost. Does this seem reasonable compared to what other 2 bedders have paid?? or has anyone found bargaintown to be better? We are not too fussed on carpet quality as long as it lasts around 5 or so yrs..

we were out there last weekend and got into our house ;) (doors were all open!) they still have some way to go on the inside but they are really flying up!! very exciting...!!:D

ps - posted my support on the other thread!!! Gooo Charlesland!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

Hi Folks,

i'm just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this: -

we were given our snag/completion letter on the 28 Nov 2005, saying we must snag on the 11th and to close on the 24th Dec.

"..failure to complete snagging is not an excuse for not closing the deal" is an exerpt from the letter.

We duly handed in our notice for our current home to be out on the 1st weekend in Jan.

Now we've been told there is a gas leak in the house and they need to dig up the kitchen to replace the pipework and the house won't be ready for snagging until mid Jan!!!

we've given our notice, and our landlord has found someone else for January so we're going to be left homeless for 2 to 4 weeks (with all our furniture)!!

is there some way we can get the developers to provide accomodation whilst they finish repairing our house? surely there must be some recourse for issuing a declaration the sale had to be closed on the 24th Dec and they'r the ones breaking the contract???

thanks in advance,

Last..

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Zub

we were given our snag/completion letter on the 28 Nov 2005, saying we must snag on the 11th and to close on the 24th Dec.

hi Lastsaturday,

I do not want to scare you but we've got same letter in October saying that our sang is on 10 Oct and we must be in before 28 October. actually we moved in on 8 December. This is about court.

i dont think it is really fair for the developers to have us over a barrel like this. we were originally told that we would be in by the end of Sept, too.

What really annoys me is the fact that in the 19 months we've been waiting, the field across the green has turned into a lovely estate, with people moved in, kids palying on the street, etc. How can it possibly take so long to build a bloody house??? there should be some sort of contract violation clause that holds the developers accountable for not completing on time...

i don't know what we're going to do with our furniture, or where we're going to live, in January.. my folks live in waterford, so i won't be staying there..

How can it possibly take so long to build a bloody house??? there should be some sort of contract violation clause that holds the developers accountable for not completing on time...

There actually is such a clause as far as I know, but it gives them a couple of years or something like that to finish building...

Hi eoin_s,

yeah i know what you mean about the contract. i've read thru that and they give themselves 18 months to complete the dwelling..

But, surely if they deliver notice that the sale must be concluded within a certain timeframe, doesn't that negate the contract, and therefore exposing themselves for not compying with the notice they themselves served? (gawd, i sound like a lawyer here..)

i just dont see why i should have to pay for temporary accomodation, because they jumped the gun... i'll speak to my solicitor regarding this too, i think.

Hi eoin_s,

yeah i know what you mean about the contract. i've read thru that and they give themselves 18 months to complete the dwelling..

But, surely if they deliver notice that the sale must be concluded within a certain timeframe, doesn't that negate the contract, and therefore exposing themselves for not compying with the notice they themselves served? (gawd, i sound like a lawyer here..)

i just dont see why i should have to pay for temporary accomodation, because they jumped the gun... i'll speak to my solicitor regarding this too, i think.

I would definitely talk to the solicitor - and legal advice you would get online would have to be taken with a pinch of salt at the best of times! The one thing I have noticed is that builds never leave themselves vulnerable to any problems that may arise, but if you make enough noise through your solicitor, then they are sure to listen.

I hope you get everything sorted out, let us know how you get on.

Eoin

many removals companys will store your furniture for a period and a short-term lease should be easy enough to find. You could try to get compensation off the builders for the extra expense incurred.

• Advertisement

cheers folks,

i hope the builders finish before tomorrow, so we can at least close the deal and deliver our furniture to the house whilst we snag, etc..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement