Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Greystones anyone moving there?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Hey Lastsaturday,
    That's a real bummer. We were told by the builders that we'd be in by the end of the summer. Heard nothing from them until the very end of November, saying that the house was ready to snag and that they would be ready to close before Christamas. I told them to take a hike. I said they were already three months over their estimated finish date, and I was arsed if I was going to be pushed into something before Christmas. I should add that this conversation took place in their offices. Giving them the third degree over the phone doesn't really work.
    Don't know what you're gonna do...but best of luck with whatever happens.

One other issue I had was that apparently the wiring for the alarm system is substandard in Charlesland....meaning there isn't enough wire. The TWO quotes I got both outlined a 150 Euro supplement for extra wiring. This is surely something we should be reclaiming from the developers. Whaddya think???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Sharonh

Terri.D wrote:
    hey all,
    congrats to all the newcomers! Just wondering am i the only one with a kid? I live in the court and apart from the 8yrold and 12yrold across the road from me there doesn't seem to be any other kids in charlesland court. I have a 6yr old boy who is getting a bit bored with going up and down the street on his scooter he keeps asking me where all the other kids are and well 'where are all the other kids?' I have seen some older kids, a few babies and some little girls but what little boy wants to play with little girls?

Hi I'm a single parent living in the Grove, any others out there?! My son is 4.5 yrs and also looking for new friends.. he's also been up and down the Grove on his scooter watching out for other children his age to no avail so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Perty

SJ wrote:
    So judging from some of the comments above breretons sound a bit dodgy :confused: - we got a quote for just over eur1000for 2 bed townhouse - carpeting stairs , landing and 2 bedrooms. we are not moving in till early 06 but just wanted to getan idea of cost. Does this seem reasonable compared to what other 2 bedders have paid?? or has anyone found bargaintown to be better? We are not too fussed on carpet quality as long as it lasts around 5 or so yrs..

we were out there last weekend and got into our house ;) (doors were all open!) they still have some way to go on the inside but they are really flying up!! very exciting...!!:D

ps - posted my support on the other thread!!! Gooo Charlesland!!! :)

Hi SJ,

Myself and my boyfriend have also bought a two-bed townhouse and went into Breretons over the weekend to get a quote for carpets for the stairs and upstairs. He gave us a quote of €1,397 which seems to be excessive for such a small area. My bofriend went in a few weeks ago and they quoted nearly €300 cheaper. I reckon they're taking all the young couples for a ride!! They know we have the vouchers and that most of us probably haven't got a clue when it comes to buying carpets etc. We are hoping to move in around the third week in Jan and he didn't even go out of his way to tell us if they are having a sale in January where we could buy the carpet at a cheaper price. I'm sure they couldn't afford not to have a sale with all the competition from carpet showrooms in Bray and other local areas.

Does anyone know if the voucher is restricted to Breretons or Bargaintown or would there be a bit of leeway? I don't see what difference it would make to the builder?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Perty wrote:
    Hi SJ,

Myself and my boyfriend have also bought a two-bed townhouse and went into Breretons over the weekend to get a quote for carpets for the stairs and upstairs. He gave us a quote of €1,397 which seems to be excessive for such a small area. My bofriend went in a few weeks ago and they quoted nearly €300 cheaper. I reckon they're taking all the young couples for a ride!! They know we have the vouchers and that most of us probably haven't got a clue when it comes to buying carpets etc. We are hoping to move in around the third week in Jan and he didn't even go out of his way to tell us if they are having a sale in January where we could buy the carpet at a cheaper price. I'm sure they couldn't afford not to have a sale with all the competition from carpet showrooms in Bray and other local areas.

I think the problem is that they know that the chances are that you will buy your carpets there, as you have the voucher - rather than buying furniture in Bargaintown (which we didn't find great), and carpets elsewhere. Their prices do seem very high - for instance, I think they were looking for €45 a square yard for semi-solid wooden flooring and €17 to fit it. From what we can see, that is very over the odds.

If you add to the fact that they are simply do not act like a professional outfit, it leaves us pretty high and dry. What someone should try is going in with the exact measurements and ask for a quote and do not say you are in Charlesland until after you get a price.
    Perty wrote:
    Does anyone know if the voucher is restricted to Breretons or Bargaintown or would there be a bit of leeway? I don't see what difference it would make to the builder?

I would imagine that Breretons and Bargaintown gave the builders a good discount so when you get a €1000 voucher, the builders only paid (figure pulled from the air) €900. If you wanted a voucher for another shop, the builders would have to pay full whack, so they are very unlikely to budge on that.

Alright folks,

Looks like we are not going to get anywhere with a dedicated forum on boards.ie for Charlesland / Greystones.

I can set up a forum on another site pretty quickly, but I only really want to do this if the interest is there. Please post a reply here if you think this is a good idea, or alternatively if you think using this one thread is OK.

Thanks,

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ccfcexile

eoin_s wrote:
    Alright folks,

Looks like we are not going to get anywhere with a dedicated forum on boards.ie for Charlesland / Greystones.

I can set up a forum on another site pretty quickly, but I only really want to do this if the interest is there. Please post a reply here if you think this is a good idea, or alternatively if you think using this one thread is OK.

Thanks,

Eoin

go fot it eoin i think it will probably be a case of setting it up and people coming to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

eoin_s wrote:
    Alright folks,

Thanks,

Eoin

I'd say leave it be.
    As long as there is no limit I think there is an advantage to having a long thread. I personally found it very handy to review the previous comments and any newcomers to the forum and to Charlesland may also find a use for the older stuff.

Ru wrote:
    I'd say leave it be.
    As long as there is no limit I think there is an advantage to having a long thread. I personally found it very handy to review the previous comments and any newcomers to the forum and to Charlesland may also find a use for the older stuff.

There's certainly no limit to the amount of posts in a thread - this is a baby one compared to some of them! The only real problem is that the same stuff gets asked over and over again, because the thread is just way too big to navigate easily - even with the search functionality.

Hey Lastsaturday,
    That's a real bummer. We were told by the builders that we'd be in by the end of the summer. Heard nothing from them until the very end of November, saying that the house was ready to snag and that they would be ready to close before Christamas. I told them to take a hike. I said they were already three months over their estimated finish date, and I was arsed if I was going to be pushed into something before Christmas. I should add that this conversation took place in their offices. Giving them the third degree over the phone doesn't really work.
    Don't know what you're gonna do...but best of luck with whatever happens.

One other issue I had was that apparently the wiring for the alarm system is substandard in Charlesland....meaning there isn't enough wire. The TWO quotes I got both outlined a 150 Euro supplement for extra wiring. This is surely something we should be reclaiming from the developers. Whaddya think???

I found the same problem when I moved in to the Grove, also the wiring is not only too short in some places but miles away from the window frames! I thought about getting a wireless alarm but apparently the boxes that sit on your frames (bang in the middle so you can't hide them) are twice the size of the wired type. Hence, I have no alarm to date. Anyone got any advise on this?

loyatemu wrote:
    I'm guessing this is the land to the south of Ch Grove (where the old farmhouse and barns are)

http://www.unison.ie/bray_people/stories.php3?ca=34&si=1507599&issue_id=13283

Swimming pool and new Garda Station could be part of package

Developers offer deal for rezoning

GREYSTONES councillors have been handed a golden opportunity to make up a 'wish list' for the town, to be funded by developers in return for zoning more land for houses at Charlesland.

Developers Séan Mulryan, Peter Halpenny and Séan Dunne told councillors at a meeting at Druids Glen this week that they want a 20-acre site near the Superquinn store in Charlesland to be re-zoned from commercial to residential use, to pave the way for a further 250 family homes.

The developers, who were the principals in the Zapi company which already built 1,400 houses at Charlesland, have told councillors they will stump up funding for a number of community projects in return.

A Primary School would be good.. the current ones are all too far away and the best ones are over subscribed. Delgany National has a waiting list of over 100 for the Junior Infants class of 28 for 2006! Gone are days children could walk to school. There are 3 creches that I know if in Charleland alone and no provision for a school.
    Sorry rant over, I'm having real probs getting my son a place for Sept 2006. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bláth

Hi there

I have almost 20 kg of adhesive left over from tiling if anyone wants it. It's for marble or polished porcelein floor tiles but I'm sure you can use it for any tiles???? It is the adhesive that dries white. If anyone wants it, just PM me.

Merry Christmas to all of you and see you on the 14th - maybe we should consider the new bar script instead of the Wicklow arms?

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sopranosfan

Can someone give me any more details re the feeder bus to Greystones Dart Station? - ie where it currently goes from? how long does it take? is it free? Does anyone know if there are plans to extend it up as far as Eden Gate development?

many thanks

Can someone give me any more details re the feeder bus to Greystones Dart Station? - ie where it currently goes from? how long does it take? is it free? Does anyone know if there are plans to extend it up as far as Eden Gate development?

many thanks

Hi,

As far as I know, the feeder bus is paid by the management fee from the Charlesland residents, so I can't see it going up to Delgany. I think the times are listed somewhere on this thread.

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Im buying a two bed hopefully end of Jan:D and Im looking to get an alarm fitted asap. Can anyone give me an idea of how much they paid for it to be fitted?? and any company recommendations

anniec wrote:
    Im buying a two bed hopefully end of Jan:D and Im looking to get an alarm fitted asap. Can anyone give me an idea of how much they paid for it to be fitted?? and any company recommendations

We would recommend Lara Alarms, we paid about €500 for a 2 bed apartment. Their number is somewhere on this thread

Folks,

Cloud has kindly set up a forum specifically for Charlesland / Greystones to see how we get on. Given the size of this thread, I'm going to close this thread and you can open new threads for specific topics.

The link for the forum is:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=625

Eoin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement