Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Greystones anyone moving there?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

Hey MP, congratulations btw. somebody was asking about this earlier on in the thread. I heard it'll be sometime next year. What about getting the train?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

:) hi folks - wowser lots of chat on the thread since I last visited! Re the important topic of a nite out- I think it's a great idea - Wicklow arms or the burnaby or somewhere would be good craic alright! Maybe some time before Christmas? Even tho we're not actually moving in till next year i'd still be on for it - plus I know a few people who live there already but haven't really met that many of their neighbours properly so i'm sure they'd love to come along too!

Cool! Oh and yeh i totally will be on to mr superquinn about hosting a party for us when we move in!! :D yaaaay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sunuru

Toto_02 wrote:
    Sorry to burst your bubble, Charlesland is the same as any other big development except further from town.
    People leave here early in the morning and get home late, and its not a particularly friendly place.
    We have been here since december 2004 and I cant honestly say I have made any friends here. The neighbours talk to you as in hello and goodbye but no one actaully wants to get to know you, and before you start thinking I am some kind of freak...I am not I have lived in lots of places in Ireland and abroad and never found such disinterest.
    Infact until I found this site a week ago, I wasn't sure if teh people I pass daily even had voices or minds, because they never really talk.
    We left a very friendly city neighborhood, and maybe expected to be as lucky again.
    Never mind, I just think its a pity.
    December 04? Hmmm.... Same as us then... Am I one of those neighbours you talk about.... Oooooops... sorry if I am... I do say hi to all my neighbours though it is true that people dont stop and talk about the weather and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 King_Carlos

Hi All,
    The GF and myself are moving into Charlesland Park in 2 months ( so they say but i'd say 5 months)
    We were wondering if that Brereton Carpets place was any good for wooden floors, including price and fittings aswell as their carpets?
    They dont really have much of a decent Web site, so i'll need to make the trip some weekend so any advice would be great.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi All,
    The GF and myself are moving into Charlesland Park in 2 months ( so they say but i'd say 5 months)
    We were wondering if that Brereton Carpets place was any good for wooden floors, including price and fittings aswell as their carpets?
    They dont really have much of a decent Web site, so i'll need to make the trip some weekend so any advice would be great.

Cheers

Their selection of carpets was pretty good, but the wooden flooring section wasn't great. For semi-solid wood you are looking at E40 + per square yard, and another 17 to fit it - not worth it at all. I would recommend going to somewhere like Mulveys in Ranelagh and getting a different fitter to do it (or do it yourself).

Eoin

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Cheers

We're getting wooden floors from a shop in Shankill, sorry cant remember the name. It's in the Shankill centre. It's a small place, but some of the floors they have are really nice. They fitted out my folks gaff, and I have to say they did a very good job. They do carpets as well.

Does anyone know what the meteor coverage is like in Charlesland or Greystones in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Meteor works just fine in Greystones. I would 'expect' it to be the same in Charlesland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

Maybe you guys can advise.....

We have a close date of November 05 for our apartment. So thats anything between 3 and 7 weeks from now. At what stage should we expect to hear something from the builders/estate agent? So far there has been no contact bar one letter from Hooke and Mac letter telling us the apt will be ready in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

:) Just found this thread am moving into 3 bed duplex(C.Court) in a few weeks. Had a letter from builders advising we can snag from 7/10 & completion 2 weeks later.

• Advertisement

you'll get a letter closer to the date stating the house is ready to snag

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

Sunuru wrote:
    December 04? Hmmm.... Same as us then... Am I one of those neighbours you talk about.... Oooooops... sorry if I am... I do say hi to all my neighbours though it is true that people dont stop and talk about the weather and stuff.

Sorry, didn't mean to be that down on C'land, I am sure all new developemnts out of town are similiar.
    A night out in Wicklow Arms sounds cool!
    Seriously, someone shud get on to Superquinn, afterall there would have nothing without us!! Mite try calling them myself.

Bye the way, the Indian over the Wicklow Arms is really excellent, a bit pricey to eat in, but the take out is very reasonable. Better than the Indian in G'stones who charge extra to deliver to C'land than other parts of town!! Cheeky I think considering the amount of potential business they will get from us, they shud be trying to encourage us not pissing us off :D

It is quite similar in other new developments... Unfortunately.... like break ins. We have been living here now for nearly a year and never had a problem, however we did hear about a couple of sheds nearby being broken into but recently I heard about a house/apartment... Not to scare people or anything but just letting people know, so if you are one of those lucky ones who have an alarm....use it, particularly overnight!... and I guess, encouraging those who are waiting for their house to be finished... get one. As I said though.. I wouldnt like to scare people, we have found the place extremely safe and quiet so far and have never had a problem whatsoever!!!!
    Has anyone tried the capuccino croisants from Superquinn? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
    Cant wait for Saturday...I love them!!!

Anyone know what council tax rates are down in Greystones?

ps Cheers for the advice re the burglar alarm Sunuru.....

ps Cheers for the advice re the burglar alarm Sunuru.....
    Council Tax? What? WHere? Are you joking me? Gosh! I hope there is not such a thing and if there is... I wonder if we pay that already through the Management fees, otherwise... I think I'll have a heart attack: bin collections, management fees, motor tax, tv licence, tax here tax there.... Is there anything we dont get taxed for? :mad:
    Sorry for the ranting... and... as far as I am aware... We pay them through the management fees (I could be totally wrong though so you can phone Wicklow County Council Offices and ask Tel. 040467324).
    Oh and by the way... I heard about more apartments being broken into in the last while (I hope Im not bursting anyone's bubble, if I am.... sorry :o )

I did a bit of research... I live on the other side so Im not sure if it applies to the park but... Council does not take responsibility for this area until much further on (if ever). As a private estate, we pay management fees which includes the upkeep of the place (well done guys, good job there so far!) and insurance (say if someone visiting the estate breaks a leg due to works on the paths or something... they claim from management company and not the council... not that im suggesting anyone is gonna do it...). Over here in the 'woods', we have already received letters from our management company advising neighbours to take down their over sized tv aerials and discs and giving out about bad parking (I must agree with them on that one). Soooo... I hope that answers your question Newcomeramy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macey

Hi newcomeramy, Im in the park also and was advised by Hooke&McDonald Nov05.
    Spoke to the builders a few weeks ago though and they said christmas at least! I wouldnt be surprised if it will be end of Jan/Feb06 as they are way behind schedule, if you don't mind waiting that is.

macey wrote:
    Hi newcomeramy, Im in the park also and was advised by Hooke&McDonald Nov05.
    Spoke to the builders a few weeks ago though and they said christmas at least! I wouldnt be surprised if it will be end of Jan/Feb06 as they are way behind schedule, if you don't mind waiting that is.

I didn't realise they were well behind schedule, we were told end of the summer and the place was ready to snag by the end of September, so that's not too far off...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

No such thing as council tax here - although I had to pay it through the nose when we lived in london :mad: . Waste collection and property manement are all you have to pay.
    Does anyone have a list of what times the bus arrives / departs from Superquinn in the morning and evening?
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macey

eoin_s wrote:
    I didn't realise they were well behind schedule, we were told end of the summer and the place was ready to snag by the end of September, so that's not too far off...

I think it varies to be honest, i know of a couple in the grove who were told March and only moved in last month. Was down at the park two weeks ago and they hadn't even put the roof on the adjoining block (im in a duplex) so Im sceptical about it being ready by the end of the year. The longer the better I say, its a killer saving for this house lark!!

Oh dear i hope we aren't delayed for 6 months! Our rental contract is up in December. Had a look at our apartment on saturday but it didn't look anywhere near complete. No roads outside of it and the facing apartments/duplexes weren't finished.
    Any updates from anyone would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

daveco23 wrote:
    No such thing as council tax here - although I had to pay it through the nose when we lived in london :mad: . Waste collection and property manement are all you have to pay.
    Does anyone have a list of what times the bus arrives / departs from Superquinn in the morning and evening?
    Cheers.

The bus times are:

Morning:

Evening: (not sure on the exact times but if you check the dart timetable it follows that)
    Starts 1645
    Ends 1910

Good to see a thread on charlesland. Keep it going.
    A night out would be a good idea - lets make a date\time - anyone?
    Any update on that N11 connection road? Looks like some of it is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

N11 link road will only connect to one side of the N11 in the short term - the southbound lane only. So if you want to go north (towards Dublin and the M50) you will have to go down to the Newtown junction and turn around there. Eventually there'll be a flyover but the illegal dumping thing has delayed it by a couple of years.

BTW - I live in Charlesland, but I previously lived in Greystones village for 20 years and I like the place. Its not Greystones as I knew it when I was a kid, but development is inevitable. For a very large estate Charlesland is well laid out, it has good amenities, & the shuttle bus is very useful. If they ever open the pub (actually quite a large premises I believe) I won't need to go into the village at all.

As for Eden Gate - describing it as Delgany is a bit of a liberty from the developers. Charlesland may be a bit outside Greystones but Greystones is pretty sprawling at this stage and they'll join up when the business park is built. Eden Gate is about 2 miles from Delgany, which is a small village and there's mostly countryside between them. The houses in EG do look nice - more upmarket than Charlesland. Silly name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Does anyone know who is actually paying for the shuttle bus service? Is it the developers or the management company?

Ta for the N11 connection update.

I was recently up in Eden gate and it is very upper class!
    They even had golf carts bringing you from apartments to houses - it was only about 40 meters walk. Madness but fun nonetheless.

The houses are nice but my god the prices are something else.

3 Bedroom Terraced House starts at 470K (smaller than my 2 bedroom terraced house in charlesand wood! Only 72 Sq mt)
    4 Bedroom Semi Detahced is around 650K
    and the best is
    5 Bedroom detached House from 1 to 1.1 million!!! and it was even that nice. Garden was very small.

I wouldn't buy a house for that much that far away from dublin. You'd get a better house in dublin for that.

My 2 cents anway.

loyatemu wrote:
    Does anyone know who is actually paying for the shuttle bus service? Is it the developers or the management company?

The developers are paying for it so I dont think it'll last too much longer.
    They initially wanted to charge people 50 cent to use the service but that would require a license and a longer wait till the service started. So its free now.

I noticed there's a dublin bus from charlesland to bray station but I dont think it's any use for catching the dart because of the time it departs at. Its a start anyway - at least dublin bus know about us! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jose90

Just to let you know, about a month ago, on our first night in our new house in charlesland court we left a window open (ensuite) to let some air in as the house was very warm and we had an attempted breakin in the wee hours of the night. They didn't get in or get anything as we woke. The cops came very quickly. So just watch your open windows, there are/was people out there willing to take the opportunity.
    I thought you are better off knowing than not knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 elephant

Hi all,

Slightly concerned with all this news of break-ins, sure they are probably thinking new houses new stuff.. i tells ye I will be right after them if they try anything on me.!!

What is the story with the new road and where does it link into Charlesland, is it coming to that new roundaabout at the top of the kilcoole road and back in to charlesland or have I got this wrong?

BTW does anyone know how long it takes to get from Charlesland onto the M50, I am thinking it is going to take a good while.

Defo on for a meet up maybe in the new year? when most people are settled and have something to talk about? Stupid question is there an AGM, should we start one!!! JUST AN IDEA :D:D power to the people ( loser I am )

Any other news anyone, we have a month left.. tick tock

It takes about 15mins to get to the M50 with no traffic - I'd say in rush hour 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

With little traffic I can do it in 10 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

:rolleyes: what about Sat 15th Jan 06 for the Newcomers piss up!
    It'll be well after the silly season and we'll have all seen plenty of our own mates and happy to make a new batch for the new year in Charlesland!! :D

Or is that miles away?? :confused: ... Hmmm I know it seems yonks but November and all the festive stuff that comes with it is fast approaching! :eek: so January might be a good time. although not much use to those who live there already! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement