Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vinyl to CD or MP3 or .wav?

• 28-04-2005 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I have a stack of ole LPs (Long Playing Records for the youngsters).
    Anyone know of anyone in Dublin who will copy these to digital (.wav or anything that I can play in a CD drive or MP player)?

I know how to do it (roughly) except my turntable is possibly dead and I aint buying a new one.

As a side issue these include "Louis the First" (Louis Stewart trio album that I cannot find ANYWHERE on CD and I now want to hear again); a related question would be: does anyone know where to find that?

Des

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

There are people that offer to do it, but it's expensive, as they have to be recorded in realtime, post processed a bit then encoded.
    It'd be cheaper to buy a budget standalone turntable and do it yourself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

echomadman wrote:
    There are people that offer to do it, but it's expensive, as they have to be recorded in realtime, post processed a bit then encoded.
    It'd be cheaper to buy a budget standalone turntable and do it yourself tbh.

Ok thanks for the info echo!!!!

Have you any idea how much would it cost to do an album??

If I did get a turntable (it occurs to me I can probably borrow one),
    do I connect the output to a line-in socket on a PC? Do you know what software to then use???

Sorry for asking all this on a jazz newsgroup; by an amazing co-incidence, these are all jazz records.

Des

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

I saw this on the net. I don't know if it's any good, but it might be some use...

http://www.polderbits.com/lp-to-cd.html?ref=adword1

Otherwise try Googling "LP to MP3" and see what you find.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you decide to do it yourself, Audiograbber or LP Ripper might help you. Both are free and it should be easy enough to find them on the net.

Alternatively, Tower Records (in Easons in O'Connell Street anyway) offer a service to convert LPs. They had a sign up and I think it was €75, but no idea for how many.

zaph wrote:
    If you decide to do it yourself, Audiograbber or LP Ripper might help you. Both are free and it should be easy enough to find them on the net.

Alternatively, Tower Records (in Easons in O'Connell Street anyway) offer a service to convert LPs. They had a sign up and I think it was €75, but no idea for how many.

KEWL!!!!

Thanks for that. I tried to google up such a service and drew a blank.
    If that is the cost for one LP, it is clearly not worth it; if it is for multiple albums, It is worth it to me. Some of these are gems.

Des

• Advertisement

I saw this on the net. I don't know if it's any good, but it might be some use...

http://www.polderbits.com/lp-to-cd.html?ref=adword1

Otherwise try Googling "LP to MP3" and see what you find.

That is a good place to start!
    Thanks!

Des

Advertisement