Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Info on VW Golf MK4

Options
  • 28-04-2005 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Am looking to change my Focus to a Golf, I know the golf 1.4 is not an option because its just too underpowered and a GTI is just not insurance friendly.

So its either the 1.6 petrol or the 1.9 TDI
    Trouble is the TDI seems to have different Horsepower,
    From what I gather the comfortline is 90HP and the highline is 110HP is this correct?
    What HP has the 1.6 got I cant seem to find that anywhere?
    And finally anything to look out for when buying one?

thanks a lot for any info ya can give me

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

The horsepower of the 1.6 is 105 BHP, the standard TDi is 90 BHP, the TDi (red i) is 110 BHP and the TDi is 130 BHP, and the GT TDi is 150 BHP, hope this helps

TL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

draffodx wrote:
    Am looking to change my Focus to a Golf, I know the golf 1.4 is not an option because its just too underpowered and a GTI is just not insurance friendly.

So its either the 1.6 petrol or the 1.9 TDI
    Trouble is the TDI seems to have different Horsepower,
    From what I gather the comfortline is 90HP and the highline is 110HP is this correct?
    What HP has the 1.6 got I cant seem to find that anywhere?
    And finally anything to look out for when buying one?

thanks a lot for any info ya can give me

D.

Whats the spec of your Focus. Might know an interested party :)
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

03 D 1.4l SE 3 Door
    Alloys, fog lights, 18k miles
    Rear Zetec spolier, Cd player

Just waiting to see how much the insurance is on a TDI (red I) if its within reason then i think i'll go ahead and change.

is 110hp enough power for a golf, would it be better than a 1.4 focus?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One of the main strong points of the Golf range is the diesel engines. The 110bhp version is very nippy and has plenty of poke and good economy. Make sure it is at least the Comfortline model though as the base Golf really is basic without even electric windows.

Take the car for a test drive before making up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Had a 1.4 99 Golf.

No power, and used a lot of oil. had to add about a pint for every 1,000 miles.

Would recommend the 1.6 or one of the diesel models

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

I'm driving a 99 Golf 1.6. Great acceleration for overtaking but she absolutely drinks petrol. Also as I found out recently thanks to advice received from another Boards user "Gegerty" they have problems with the Throttle body.

She's comfortline with velour upholstery, all electrics, armrest and lumbar support. Very comfortable seats.

Had I my choice again I'd defo have gone for the Tdi purely for economy reasons. Fuel economy is quite poor for the 1.6petrol.

Advertisement