Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Grove?

Options
  • 28-04-2005 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

anyone remember this thing that was on in St.Pauls raheny? my mam and dad went to it, why'd they close it down?!?!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Pearl666 wrote:
    anyone remember this thing that was on in St.Pauls raheny? my mam and dad went to it, why'd they close it down?!?!?!

People stopped going. It was on for something like 35 years. There are also re-union nights around every now and then most recently Easter.

www.thegrovesocialclub.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

People stopped going. It was on for something like 35 years. There are also re-union nights around every now and then most recently Easter.

www.thegrovesocialclub.com/

Didn't they turn it into Club G? It was a haven for scumbags and such. I reckon if they had kept it as the grove it would still be running today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I used to go there towards the end of it's run.

It was one of the few places that you could go at the time that didn't play dance music.

It's pretty famous... people from all over the world have heard of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

it was probably one of the best known teen discos of its time. i went for years and had a ball at it. underage drinking, class music (back when the sisters of mercy were class u trust!), slow sets! where wud u get the like of it....
    when the musical tide changed in favour of dance and techno some knob decided to change the groves position of playing class alternative music to playing this dance muck. it simply alientated everyone who went there and destoyed everything the grove once stood for. chavs, toerags and scumbags started invading the place to listen to 2 unlimited and it gradually faded away...

i totally agree, there is enough interest today again in good rock music to have the grove still going strong. pity it didnt weather the dance storm thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

dent wrote:
    Didn't they turn it into Club G? It was a haven for scumbags and such. I reckon if they had kept it as the grove it would still be running today.

Yeah I think I remember it being Club G briefly but I was well and truely gone by then. I think it needed to change as people stopped going I remember hearing they started having live bands at the start but it didn't help. The alternative scene in Dublin seem pretty small compared to the 80s and early 90's. I could be too old to notice it now.
    Anyway the great man has a different theory

http://www.thegrovesocialclub.com/interview.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 justchill129

Is there anywhere like The Grove being run today in Ireland at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Is there anywhere like The Grove being run today in Ireland at all?

Fibbers or the Gypsy rose would probably be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

chopper6 wrote: »
    Fibbers or the Gypsy rose would probably be your best bet.

the grove was an underage disco that played rock music, the only similarity to either of the places mentioned is the music.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Zombie Thread Closed

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussion

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement