Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From all at LFC to Chelsea

• 28-04-2005 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Have you ever entered an empty stadium? Try it. Stand in the middle of the field and listen. There is nothing less empty than an empty stadium. There is nothing less mute than stands bereft of people.

At Wembley, shouts from the '66 World Cup which England won still resound, and if you listen very closely you can hear groans from 1953 when England fell to the Hungarians. Montevideo's Centenario Stadium sighs with nostalgia for the glory days of Uruguayan football. Maracana is still crying over Brazil's 1950 World Cup defeat.

At Bombonera in Buenos Aires, drums boom from half a century ago. From the depths of Azteca Stadium, you can hear the ceremonial chants of the ancient Mexican ball game. The concrete terraces of the Nou Camp in Barcelona speak Catalan, and the stands of San Mames in Bilbao talk in Euskera.

In Milan, the ghost of Giuseppe Meazza scores goals that shake the stadium bearing his name. The final of the '74 World Cup, won by Germany, is played day after day and night after night at Munich's Olympic Stadium.

The stadium of King Fahd in Saudi Arabia has marble and gold boxes and carpeted stands, but it has no memory or much of anything to say.

Eduardo Galeano, Football in Sun and Shadow, 1995

Next Monday evening Chelsea will train in an empty stadium. The loudest empty stadium in the world. It'll whisper to them of Liverpool's four glorious European Cup victories. Kopites now long departed will take up their specs again and invoke visions in the Chelsea minds of St Etienne, Inter Milan, Auxerre, Roma, Barcelona and Juventus.

The stands will echo to songs of triumph and glory, of the dignity of Elisha Scott and Billy Liddell, the heart of Ian St John and Emlyn Hughes, the strength of Tommy Smith and Graeme Souness, and the brilliance of John Barnes and Kenny Dalglish.

And when the Chelsea players look around, nervously, to see where these evocations are coming from they'll see no one there. They'll return to their hotel and
    struggle to sleep as their minds are filled with thoughts of Reds coming up that hill once more, victorious and glorious.

And on Tuesday evening it is up to us, today's fans, to do our footballing ancestors proud at Anfield. Tuesday night is a chance for Glory, both on and off the pitch.

Do your best Reds, for there's nothing more you can do, and Rafa's team will have the chance to emulate the great teams of yore in Istanbul.

This can and will be OUR year.

© Rushian 2005

Copied from a Kop forum

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

All very true....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

feck hadn't realised that ghosts play such an important part in football, I'm certain that Makalele, Cech, Robben, Drogba, Carvalho, Gallas will be losing entire seconds of sleep at the thought of dead scousers influencing this game. Where does this insanity come from ?

History has feck all to do with it. Sentimental clap trap at its scouse best.

There's only one Boris Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anfield is going to be absolutly rocking atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

The foundations at Anfield will shake with the noise on tuesday night,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

MY COCK!

It will not bother Chelsea at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sigh. I suppose you can't blame them for trying the "Our ghosts are mighty scary" trick.

The problem with ghosts is:

1) They're either not real,
    2) Or over-hyped figments of the imagination leading someone to believe in something thats just complete and utter bullshít, and in 5 or 6 days time said person will realise what a gobshíte they were for believing in such farcical nonsense.

Liverpool my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

This is typical liverpool sentimentality to be honest. They think they're the only team with passion and the only team with a history. The current team is as far from the glory years as you can get and come tuesday night they're gonna face this harsh reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The mentality of this post says it all about Liverpool fans - living in the past. Remind me again what you have won in the last 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i really don't see the point of all this nonsense. I just hope it's a good game of football to watch and the best team on the night gets a deserved win to go through to the finals.

Oh and lots of goals pls thank you!

All else is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Oh get over it whe united were in the semis all you man yoo fans were talking ****e aswell and we put up with it stadium of dreams and crap, its part and parcel of the excitement of being in a semi , we as liverpool fans believe we can win and in fairness anfield when its rocking its unbelievable

YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!!!!!

GAWN D POOL

p.s. your jelous :P

• Advertisement

Jealous of not being in the semis - true.
    Jealous of Liverpool - you gotta be kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Great post!

Hope Liverpool smash Chelski on Tuesday night.
    Class > Money

fade2black wrote:
    Jealous of not being in the semis - true.
    Jealous of Liverpool - you gotta be kidding.

Lets do a simple equation here

Jealous of man yoo not being in the semi finals
    Jealousy definition = a feeling of jealous envy (especially of a rival)
    Arch rivals of man yoo = Liverpool
    Liverpool is in the semi finals
    Ergo jealous of Liverpool

:D

Take it wrote:
    Lets do a simple equation here

Jealous of man yoo not being in the semi finals
    Jealousy definition = a feeling of jealous envy (especially of a rival)
    Arch rivals of man yoo = Liverpool
    Liverpool is in the semi finals
    Ergo jealous of Liverpool

:D

Or PSV, or Chelsea, or AC Milan....

And there is a difference between being envious of someone's temporary position (i.e in the chap ten places ahead of you in the queue for anything) and being envious of a particular team. Especially if that team happens to be Liverpool.

Would you consider PSV, AC Milan or Chelsea to have as much rivalry as Liverpool with man u? maybe you could argue Chelsea but I think man u Liverpool is one of the biggest rivalry hence you would be jealous, as arch rivals is your job, hell I am jealous of man u being in 3rd place,

As for your person in the queue argument, you would be jealous of a person 10 people ahead of you in a queue if I knew them and they rubbed it in my face, and its a que that you dont have a chance of getting served in (win untill next time) hence Liverpool posting about being in the semis rubbing it in a bit therefore I would use the word jealous :D

O.K didn't know you had to make a statement to the exact meaning but ill give it another shot:
    "You are jealous of Liverpool’s temporary position" thanks for picking up on that

Bit off topic I know but anyway

GAWN D POOL ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

This is typical of the anti-scouse sentiment perpetuated by the English media that has so influenced a generation of hate filled young Irish.

These are the same kinds of comments as

They will get beaten by Bayer Levekeusan because they are a great team.
    That away goal will cost Liverpool dearly as Bayer are a great home team.
    Juventus will show Liverpool up for what they are.
    Juventus will beat Liverpool badly away and home.
    Juventus wont be slow of the mark again and they will win with the away goal.
    Chelsea will hammer Liverpool at home.
    Chelsea 3-0 tonight.

Keep it coming, its great copy.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

elbow316 wrote:
    Great post!

Hope Liverpool smash Chelski on Tuesday night.
    Class > Money

So Class is greater than Money?
    By that reckoning Chelsea are the better team!

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    So Class is greater than Money?
    By that reckoning Chelsea are the better team!

....or you could say that class is permenant while Chelski's overwhelming financial strength will only last as long as their Russian sugardaddy sticks around. I feel sorry for their "real" fans who feel their club is losing it's identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Great Post

I would love it if the pool can destroy the Russian revoultion.

chelsea have class and money

lots of money and a lot of class

both on the pitch and off it :-)

I don't need the english media to help my anti-liverpool feelings, I'm sick of Liverpool fans claims to greatness based entirely on long past performances and their strange ability to totally ignore the present. The league position would suggest Chelsea are the better team , recent years' european performances suggest Chelsea is the better team, the carling cup suggests Chelsea are the better team. My comment quoted by Emmo above "3-0 Chelsea wasn't hate filled, it was my hope / wish / prediction ... I'm a CFC fan ffs, I'm hardly going to predict a Liverpool walkover with Ian Rush to somehow score a hat trick.

Fortunately cheslea don't have any past pedigree that we can cling to in naive hope, we don't expect any spirits of Tambling , Osgood, Greaves and co to help us succeed, and we haven't won fvck all ass the song goes, and are quite happy to make the most of our current success. I'm happy to live in the present, coz our past was bloody awful. Sure your perfectly entitled to be proud of the many fantastic successes Liverpool have had over the years but to think that the past has any bearing on Tuesdays game is delusional.

• Advertisement

Class is Permanent
    Permanent:Lasting or remaining without essential change

Not something you could really use to apply Class to Liverpol over the past 15 years. ;)

Ian Rush to somehow score a hat trick

More likely than any of the current strikers :D

Monster you talk about living in the past? yet you then ask what have liverpool or chelsea done in the last 15 years (obiously trying to refare to uniteds glory days) which im not sure but i think the last 15 year is the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

As a lfc fan I have to say I think its gonna be very tuff for the reds. Everyone is just going to ave to play out of their skin to beat chelski. In fairness they were scheisse in the last match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

growler wrote:
    recent years' european performances suggest Chelsea is the better team

really?

which is an aside. Chelsea are class on the pitch, better man for man than Liverpool. More class off the pitch - hardly, seeing how many inquiries they're subject too at the moment. If anything that reeks of the new money coming in and not understanding the decorum required. Fergie did it many times as well though.

But come tuesday everything outside the stadium counts for nothing. But don't fool yourself for a second in to thinking that the atmosphere won't drive Liverpool, don't think for a second that the lessons learnt and passed down generations of fans as they cheer on the players, and don't you think for a second that it won't be the most passionate atmosphere that Chelsea experience all season. And don't forget that those same fans will applaud Chelsea if they come out and defeat Liverpool fairly on the field despite that atmosphere.

Take it wrote:
    Monster you talk about living in the past? yet you then ask what have liverpool or chelsea done in the last 15 years (obiously trying to refare to uniteds glory days) which im not sure but i think the last 15 year is the past

Taking that literally everything that happened is in the past.

Let me clarify for you - Liverpools Class is in the distant past.(i.e. > 15 years ago) :rolleyes:

When I used the word "class", I didn't mean strictly out on the pitch.

When Chelsea have scum like Peter Kenyon running the show, they can't even try to claim that they have class.

Liverpool and Arsenal are the two remaining "Big" english clubs who haven't either whored themselves to the highest bidder or been run by clowns....thats probably why , as an Arsenal fan, I have a hell of a lot more respect for Liverpool than Chelsea or United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

growler wrote:
    chelsea have class and money

lots of money and a lot of class

both on the pitch and off it :-)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    My firend you cannot buy class - CLASS denotes brilliance
    in football tearms brilliance is a phenomenon that happens naturally.
    The right people in the right place at right time.
    Just ask these guys
    Murriono would give his right testicle and a lock of his magic hair to have brilliance of this level - sans the billions
    http://www.liverpool.is/myndir/Shankly/bootroomcola5.jpg

The same so-called Class that got English Clubs banned from Europe.

• Advertisement

Chelsea have no history.

elbow316 wrote:
    Chelsea have no history.

we do , it's just pretty crap when compared to the Pool , Man U and Notts Forrest.

We're currently writing our history, Arsenal may get a mention somewhere :-) ideally under the chapter " Arsenal relegated in 2008 after 6-0 whooping by rampant Chelsea on the last day of the season at half-full Ashburton Grove"

For the record, I do think Kenyon is a tosspot and wish he had stayed with his "beloved" Utd.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    My firend you cannot buy class - CLASS denotes brilliance
    in football tearms brilliance is a phenomenon that happens naturally.
    The right people in the right place at right time."

like Cech, Lampard, Robben, Duff, Terry, Makalele and Mourinho :-)

TheMonster wrote:

hahaha talk about contradictions so we have to forget about certain things in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

TheMonster wrote:

Yeah but did it stop Man U from winning the European Cup?, eh, no !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Here's one for the Man Utd fans : On Wednesday, Alex Ferguson rang Benitez to wish him luck against Chelsea.

TheMonster wrote:

All i can say to that is :rolleyes:

Either you want to have a debate about FOOTBALL or you don't
    I'm sure there are a number of UNREALTED FAN incidents we could talk about.
    A section of liverpool fans caused the ban imposed Liverpool FC did not cause the ban.

Your statement belongs up there somewhere in the US election spin and our tribunals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

growler wrote:
    will be losing entire seconds of sleep at the thought of dead scousers influencing this game. Where does this insanity come from ?.

ahhh, funniest thing ive read in a long time....

dead scousers.

oh, we wish :)

Here's one for the Man Utd fans : On Wednesday, Alex Ferguson rang Benitez to wish him luck against Chelsea.

...which kind of sums up the general (Correct imo) feeling that chelski are bad for football.
    Its just such an artificial situation. Chelski could well just go out this summer and bring in Adriano, Essien etc etc and just completely unbalance the whole sport.
    We've had rich clubs in the past but this is so different its a threat to the whole thing.

Wishing for dead scousers?

Your sick and in need of a introduction to humanity, I just hope that no one ever wishes harm on any of your people, God knows even scum like you have rights.

Just read nice little quote from the Juve staff

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2005/mar/18/N148193050318-1501.htm

"Liverpool are going to be difficult opponents and we will have to prepare ourselves for the atmosphere at Anfield."

Why is that I wonder?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2005/apr/12/N148459050412-2301.htm

In the press box in the Main Stand, the correspondent for Italy's biggest sports paper Gazzetta dello Sport couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"The fantastic atmosphere at Anfield was like an electric shock for Liverpool's players, who started the match at an astonishing tempo," he wrote. "They seemed unstoppable."

Fabio Capello was equally amazed by the wall of sound generated by the home fans straight after the impeccably observed minute's silence.

"At Anfield, even experienced players can have a bad start because of the excitement of playing in such a stadium," claimed Capello. "We were constrained, almost in a daze at the start. Pushed by their fans, the Liverpool players were extremely motivated and aggressive. They didn't allow us to play in the first half-hour."

On the pitch, the players from Turin were not afraid to admit that the Liverpool supporter's passion had an effect on their performance.

"The way Liverpool fans sing and support the team throughout the game is fantastic," revealed Fabio Cannavaro, the Juventus goalscorer on the night. "They behaved really well and they can be an example to follow, starting with the return leg."

Make no bones about it. Anfield is a very special place and does and will continue to effect visiting supporters and visting teams.

Emmo

Emmo wrote:
    God knows even scummers have rights.

Are you calling Liverpool supporters scummers?

B.

No im calling people who wish death upon others scum, even scum have rights but I will edit my post to make the source of my anger more clear.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

BaZmO* wrote:
    Are you calling Liverpool supporters scummers?

B.
    <insert bannable comment about Man U supporters here>
    gwan the pool, all the way.

ahhh, funniest thing ive read in a long time....

dead scousers.

oh, we wish :)

From the guy who predicted a 3-0 win for chel$ki

LOLOLOLOLOL

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Name one player besides Cech for whom there's not an equivalent or better player at any of the top five clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Name one player besides Cech for whom there's not an equivalent or better player at any of the top five clubs.

Robben duff and makalele. there are players like these at all of the top clubs, but IMO none quite at their standard. for wingers pires, ronaldo, riise, giggs are all great but all either lacking something (ronaldo-end product) or past it a little bit (giggs, pires).

Makalele is just the best defensive midfielder/cleaner upper in england, others are good but he is the best.

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Makalele is just the best defensive midfielder/cleaner upper in england, others are good but he is the best.

Interesting fact I heard about Makelele from one of the commentators the other night. He's made it to the CL semi final 7 times out of 8 campaigns. I mightn't be exactly right on the figures but it's something like that. But anyway it's quite an impressive feat.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Chelsea will win this and I'm not that nervous at all. The omens are looking good.

This is why:

Porto 0-0 Deportivo
    Deportivo 0 -1 Porto

Chelsea 0-0 Utd
    Utd 1-2 Chelsea

Mourinho is always up for these semis and it will be 0-1 or 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its up to one match now, and Liverpool's defense looked rock solid. Alonso missing though, but home advatanage.
    I think its a tight tight match

only 31% of all european semifinals have gone the way of teams drawing 0-0 in the first leg at home.

which means nothing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

TheMonster wrote:
    The mentality of this post says it all about Liverpool fans - living in the past. Remind me again what you have won in the last 15 years.

Liverpool have won the following since 1990

League 1990
    FA Cup 1992, 2001
    League Cup 1995, 2001
    Charity Shield 1990, 2001
    UEFA Cup 2001
    European Super Cup 2001

cheesedude wrote:
    MY COCK!

It will not bother Chelsea at all.
    Sheer decibels shatter the champions
    By Simon Barnes
    THEY got the name of the goalscorer wrong. Liverpool’s shocking, and shockingly inevitable, fourth-minute goal was not scored by Luis García, as the announcer claimed. It was scored by Havoc. It was created by Havoc and finished by Havoc, for last night Liverpool cried Havoc and let slip the dogs of sport.

This fancy, wealthy, newfangled Chelsea team have done a lot in a short time. But they have not played a European Cup semi-final at Anfield on a night when Havoc has been cried and normal rules of footballing reality, therefore, have been suspended. And Liverpool — well, Liverpool haven’t done much for a long time, but they can still remember. And last night, they remembered, and the force of their memories was strong enough to bring the past to life.

It is not a matter of noise, although noise is a part of it. Football matches are always noisy and when they close the roof at the Millennium Stadium, a few hours under the flight-path at Heathrow is infinitely preferable to an afternoon of football. No, it is the quality of the noise, the prayer-filled quality of noise that seeks to shape a match not according to the relative strengths of the teams but the relative desire of the fans.

And Chelsea were shocked. Shocked by the decibels, shocked by the prayerfulness, shocked by the desire. That is why we saw something we do not associate with the Chelsea of this season, with the Chelsea that is the creature of José Mourinho. We saw tentativeness. We saw a team out of its depth.

It was not the players but the prayers that made Chelsea look so callow. And as Havoc had been cried, so it led to a rare thing, a thing almost unheard of from Chelsea this season: panic. I think it likely that if the chance had not come at the Kop end, the panic would not have happened because the Liverpool players themselves were largely incidental.

But Chelsea were shocked out of their sense of superiority by the quality of the pre-match vibes; it was a start that visibly threw them. It was not the hostility, for all that there was plenty. It was the desire that the impossible should happen and that the underdogs of war — sport, I mean — should prevail. Chelsea were rattled.

And that is why they conceded a goal that had about it more than an element of daftness. The ball went beyond either team’s control in the penalty area and García got the final touch. William Gallas kicked it away again and television hadn’t a clue as to whether it had crossed the line.

In cricket, the tradition is to give the benefit of the doubt to the batsman. It actually says so in the Laws. No such thing is written in football’s rules: rather, the not terribly noble tradition of giving the benefit of the doubt to the home team.

The Liverpool crowd had done an astonishing thing. They made Chelsea play worse than they can, they made Liverpool play better than they can, they made the referee turn a crucial decision their way. That’s 23 people all behaving in the way that the Liverpool crowd wished. It was, in the most literal sense, a triumph of hope over expectation.

There’s a lot of guff written about football crowds, particularly Liverpool’s. But the fact is, the tradition of a club is not in the hands or even the feet of players, or managers, hirelings all, who will be off the minute a better offer comes along. No one in football has loyalty to anyone, or is expected to.

Only supporters have loyalty. They are not loyal to persons or institutions so much as loyal to loyalty itself. And with Liverpool, the loyalty passed the test of time, the years of comparative failure. It lay dormant, like the frogs that bury themselves in the desert for years at a time, waiting for rain. And when the rain comes, they awake and the desert itself is riveted from end to end with noise, made new.

In the previous round, Liverpool had been forced, profoundly against their will, to recall the horrors of Heysel. They were required to be humble and to act nice. Now, freed from guilt and from good behaviour, they were able to revel at last in their extraordinary season and they sang like 40,000 men who had just been released from jail and, on the same day, won the lottery and fixed up a hot date with the entire cast of Chicago.

It was a quite peculiar night and one in which the players played their bit-part with as much conviction as they could muster. It was a day when the spectators became the stars, when the readers created the plot of the novel, when the opera singers were outsung by the audience. Last night, the crowd inflicted their will.

just how is your cock?

• Advertisement
Advertisement