Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Tax Fine

Options
  • 28-04-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I bought a 2nd hand car from a garage 2 weeks ago, tax was out of date.
    I got a ticket today as I have no tax disc, (Insurance and NCT were displayed). I was unable to tax car as I have not got the change of ownership details back from vehicle registration yet.
    What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

ROVER wrote:
    I got a ticket today as I have no tax disc, (Insurance and NCT were displayed). I was unable to tax car as I have not got the change of ownership details back from vehicle registration yet.
    What should I do?

You can pay your motor tax as soon as your ownership has been registered on the Dept. of the Environment's computer system. You don't have to wait until you receive the VLC back from them. Ring them on 1890 411 412 and they'll tell you whether it's in the system. If it is, head off to your local motor tax office and pay the tax (bring Insurance Certificate and NCT certificate, though the latter is not strictly necessary).

As for what to do about the ticket, I'm afraid I don't know. There ought to be some way to contest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not sure on this one as the fine is for not displaying a current tax disc even though it is through no fault of your own.

When you get the new vehicle registration cert go down to town hall or wherever the parking fines are paid and show it to them and state your case. Not sure if it will be overturned on these grounds but I think you have a case.

Until you get your new tax disc it is best to park in a car park rather than on a public street to avoid further hassel like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mick Jockson

Jeeze,,, thats unlucky. Ive been driving round with no tax this past 4months and you get caught within 2weeks :D

State ur case to the **** and you should get off. How much is the fine btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Jesus that garda was a right asshole to give you a ticket,you should have told them when they stopped you that you only just got the car.
    I got a ticket for no tax before and taxed it the next day,sent a photocopy of the disc to the garda and he cancelled the fine :D that was over two years ago and i haven't taxed a car since :D:D

Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

ROVER wrote:
    What should I do?

Technically, they are correct. It is an offence to have a car on a pulbic road without a tax disc, regardless of circumstances. (BTW, I presume you got the ticket while parked?) However, if you head in to the Garda station once you get VLC, I would imagine it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Cosworth wrote:
    Jesus that garda was a right asshole to give you a ticket,you should have told them when they stopped you that you only just got the car.
    I got a ticket for no tax before and taxed it the next day,sent a photocopy of the disc to the garda and he cancelled the fine :D that was over two years ago and i haven't taxed a car since :D:D

I hope you get caught. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ROVER wrote:
    What should I do?

did you have that slip from the bottom of the change of ownership form stuck to your window... that usually seems to keep them away like the effect of garlic on a vampire....

oh and Cosworth , pay your tax... don't expect the rest of us to pay for driving....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If, once you get the necessary documentation, you tax your car from the month of purchase onwards and explain the situation to the gardai, they are unlikely to persue it. It'll probably involve writing a letter to the 'Member in Charge' :D at your local garda station with proof of the date of purchase and that the car was subsequently taxed to cover that date.

Advertisement