Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography competition??

Options
  • 28-04-2005 11:15pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, this is gonna sound very strange but recently, (as Amp will testify :)) I've been tinkering with taking interesting screenshots around the world of warcraft. So much so that I've really taken to traveling and shooting shots of all kinds! I've even stayed up (leveling) to get a shot of sunrise that I thought would look good in Hinterlands!

So I got to thinking, it might be fun to have a photography competition or a display of some kind. The winner might get something or might get nothing I dunno but it could be interesting to see!

So we'd pick a length of time (a decently long time) and let people put forward 10 shots (or 20 or 5 or whatever) and then either judge them ourselves or ask some of the Photography board people to just them or not judge them at all and leave it as just a display. Though I think we should have two prizes myself, best shot and best collection.

Ok, you can stop looking at me like that. I'm not bonkers.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Excellent idea, I'm all for it.

In a persistent world like mmorpgs use and with a full board dedicated to it, I dont see why we dont do more, regular things like this.

Only problem I see with it, is that the default screenshot size is (.tga) is about 3mb and members.boards.ie is max 5mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I was just looking over Booty Bay today at sunset and thought how amazingly accurate they got the shading and lighting for that time of day.

I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

How do you chose the file format the pictures save in?

Not sure if you can.

Just take them and change the format on the ones your posting up afterward.

Here's a few I threw together.
    http://netsoc.itcarlow.ie/~ivan/WoW_Album/

Btw, whats the default button or command to hide the UI?
    Really screws up pictures :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

All the files save in a format that i can't open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Alt z hides the ui. (or Ctrl z, it's late, and I'm tired)
    Great idea btw, how do you post an image?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

I had to download irfanview to view my screenshots. I think they open up in pretty much anything that isn't microsoft

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"Alt Z " hides the UI...

Theres plenty of free TGA viewers out there and you can convert them with PSP or Photoshop.

What do you think we should do, make it a competition or just upload pics as we see fit?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

is there any free converter out there for people that can't afford photoshop?

i think a competition is a good idea. Everyone can donate 1g or whatever and winner gets it. It'll be fun anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Memnoch wrote:
    is there any free converter out there for people that can't afford photoshop?

i think a competition is a good idea. Everyone can donate 1g or whatever and winner gets it. It'll be fun anyway.

Infranview

I havent actually seen the sunset in WoW, wonder if anyone could actually post it (that or sunrise), didnt even realise it was included. Neat.
    1g might be tricky, what with server issues etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

How about a month's subcription as a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Mixie wrote:
    Infranview
    Irfanview.

Good idea though, I found myself on the very front of the boat from Menethil Harbour going forward into the night (/point) ing into the great unknown ;) I'll u/l a few when i get home from college

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Great idea, all for it. Now if only I could recreate the giant sheep again :(
    abccormac wrote:
    How about a month's subcription as a prize?

Nah, some of us already paid our subscription in 3 month/6month lumps (by CC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

then how about one of the pre-paid cards for when your subs run out?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Perhaps a game card for WoW but then we'd have to have someone judge it and anonymise it (or else everyone will say I threaten to ban the judges if they didnt let me win :) ).

This is one pic I took of Menethil Harbour at dawn, its not great but its a nice shot of the sun coming up over the harbour.

DeV.

Deadwing wrote:
    then how about one of the pre-paid cards for when your subs run out?

Still not liking that idea in the slightest, but I can't come up with anything different.

My understanding of it is that if you plug in that credit it's added to your existing credit making it a month longer before they'll come bothering your CC.

Of course if you DONT want a free month, I'll take it off your hands :p

DeV.

Is it? I was picturing changing payment method when my already-paid subscription is up, and then switching back to CC when the gamecard is up, and oh generally something really messy.

• Advertisement

I was gonna suggest have a real nice piece of kit as the prize, but seeing as how people are on different servers it wouldn't really work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

hmmm bit of a dodgy suggestion... but cant you buy 100 Gold off ebay for €25 euro's or something and they will deliver to any server ?

I havent tried or used this service but I think they get away with it because they give the gold for free and charge you 25 for shipping or something

Again just a random thought.

Picture idea itself is very good though, even just for personal gratification :)

No, no suggestions of buying gold or items on Ebay (as per charter). It's against the Terms Of Service at the very least.

They don't get away with it either, they get their accounts banned :P
    (And people receiving said bought gold risk that aswell)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Yes im sure your right :)

Could just do something for the fun of it, give someone a title under their name, like instead of "Register User" give them something funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I think a date with my fine self is a worthy prize. Two hours alone with the logic one is a darkened restaurant sampling the finest food Dublin has to offer in the company of the finest man in porbably the world.

Get those entries in of course I expect to win this competition and spend the evening with myself. Better company I could not ask for.

On a site note people with higher level graphics cards might get nicer looking shots which is a tad unfair.

.logic.

logic1 wrote:
    I think a date with my fine self is a worthy prize. Two hours alone with the logic one is a darkened restaurant sampling the finest food Dublin has to offer in the company of the finest man in porbably the world.

Get those entries in of course I expect to win this competition and spend the evening with myself. Better company I could not ask for.

On a site note people with higher level graphics cards might get nicer looking shots which is a tad unfair.

.logic.
    For truth.

Except the date part.

DeVore wrote:
    Perhaps a game card for WoW but then we'd have to have someone judge it and anonymise it (or else everyone will say I threaten to ban the judges if they didnt let me win :) ).

This is one pic I took of Menethil Harbour at dawn, its not great but its a nice shot of the sun coming up over the harbour.

DeV.
    I get a WoW topup card just because I'm going to take the best pic? Sweet deal.

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh

CUSTOM AVATARZ AND CUSTOM TITLEZ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

DeVore wrote:
    Ok, this is gonna sound very strange but recently, (as Amp will testify :)) I've been tinkering with taking interesting screenshots around the world of warcraft. So much so that I've really taken to traveling and shooting shots of all kinds! I've even stayed up (leveling) to get a shot of sunrise that I thought would look good in Hinterlands!

So I got to thinking, it might be fun to have a photography competition or a display of some kind. The winner might get something or might get nothing I dunno but it could be interesting to see!

So we'd pick a length of time (a decently long time) and let people put forward 10 shots (or 20 or 5 or whatever) and then either judge them ourselves or ask some of the Photography board people to just them or not judge them at all and leave it as just a display. Though I think we should have two prizes myself, best shot and best collection.

Ok, you can stop looking at me like that. I'm not bonkers.

DeV.

Dev you ARE bonkers :D

I would happily sponsor the competition. I can give a gamecard to the winner, they are finally on general release next week! I can judge the comp as well if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

heres one i made earlier

woff3518xm.th.jpg

Advertisement