Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote from Bord Gais

Options
  • 28-04-2005 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I got Bord Gais to give me a quote to move the gas meter from the kitchen to the outside of the house. It took 2 men to come out to give the quote and then I had to wait 6 weeks and still no quote posted out. I got on to them on Monday and they posted out the quote it is €827.12 to move the meter about 20 feet. I think this is outrageous. I have asked them for a breakdown of the costs and I am not going to get that until Tuesday. Has anyone paid a similar price or less hopefully. Is there anyway to dispute the quote ?? when the second person came out he said it would probably cost €150 so as you can imagine I am flabbergasted by this quote.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I think it depends on which direction they are going, if they are going back along the gas line it should be cheaper, if they have to extend the pipework then it's dearer.

You can get the pipework installed for them, I'm not sure it would be cheaper because the contractor has to be an approved installer.

Don't expect the thinking that you are a gas customer and they should look after you because you will be buying gas for the next fifty years, today it's all about the bottom line and if the installer is not working on your house he can be on a building site connecting three maybe four systems in the same time it takes to look after your job.

You could try the private route and Bord Gais only have to comission the system, they still charge for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Cionn wrote:
    I got Bord Gais to give me a quote to move the gas meter from the kitchen to the outside of the house. It took 2 men to come out to give the quote and then I had to wait 6 weeks and still no quote posted out. I got on to them on Monday and they posted out the quote it is €827.12 to move the meter about 20 feet. I think this is outrageous. I have asked them for a breakdown of the costs and I am not going to get that until Tuesday. Has anyone paid a similar price or less hopefully. Is there anyway to dispute the quote ?? when the second person came out he said it would probably cost €150 so as you can imagine I am flabbergasted by this quote.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cionn
    Would it be cheaper for them just to put the meter outside and leave the one inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Jsut to warn you,If you do not get a Bord gais qualified installer you will have to pay 250 euros to get a Bord Gais rep out to check that the install is up to scratch. Moving boxes is never a cheap thing to do as its a lot of labour

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Its the meter itself that I have to move. I am putting in a new kitchen and the meter is in the way of the new units. Moving the meter is going to be 25% of the cost of the kitchen. What a joke.

Cionn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

rooferPete wrote:
    You could try the private route and Bord Gais only have to comission the system, they still charge for that though.

hi again rooferpete, we have oil here and want to convert to gas, unfortuanately the boiler will be about 75-80 foot from the gas main. if i had a pipe put in above ground would that then cover me for it, rather than spending 3 grand burying the pipe from bord gais? who could do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Lomb iirc from my days in bord gais the pipe needs to be something like a meter below the ground if its outside so it can't be smashed. If you PM me on tues I'll find out for you cos bord gais is one of our clients their "call centre" is housed in our lovely call centre!! You'll need to PM me cos i'll forget :D:D OP if they're messing you around I might be able to help you out too...or anybody else for that matter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

cheers, il pm u on monday night :) appreciate that. a neighbour of mine had gas fitted 15 years ago with the pipe above ground, so just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi lomb,

Looks like your sorted, the way they bring in the supply is underground using a mole drilling machine, very tidy and no need to dig up the garden.

There is an insulated pipe for above ground use, however it's not my area of expertise so I haven't kept up to their standards.

Advertisement