Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth... Roadrunner?!

Options
  • 29-04-2005 8:45am
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet...
    Sweden's OPETH are on the verge of inking a new record deal with Roadrunner Records, informed sources have told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. The band, who were previously signed to the now-defunct British label Music For Nations Records, recently entered Fascination Street studios in Örebro, Sweden to begin recording their eight album, tentatively due later in the year.

OPETH will take part in the inaugural Sounds of the Underground tour, which is slated to kick off June 25 in Lowell, Massachusetts. Other bands scheduled to take part in the trek include CLUTCH, LAMB OF GOD, GWAR, POISON THE WELL, FROM AUTUMN TO ASHES, UNEARTH, EVERY TIME I DIE, CHIMAIRA, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, MADBALL and DEVILDRIVER.
    What do you make of this? I don't want to get ahead of myself here but is signing to Roadrunner the beginning of the end for the Opeth we know?

As Chuck Schuldiner once said:
    "Eventually Roadrunner are going to jump back on the heavy metal bandwagon and it's gonna be cute, it's gonna be real sickening to see to a label jump right back on what they got big from, but basically what they've turned their backs on in the process."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Money talks... Roadrunner were one of my favourite labels back in the day, they had a roster of amazing bands like Cynic (who they screwed big time), Annihilator, Sepultura, D.R.I., Gang Green, Pestilence and so many more who they then shafted as soon as real Metal wasn't trendy anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

aye, atleast roadrunner have started re-releasing classic albums, especially their double albums

In the past few months I have picked up these beauties

Annihilator - The Best Of Annihilator
    Annihilator - Set The World On Fire/Live In Command
    Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath/Return Of The Vampire
    Biohazard - Urban Discipline/No Holds Barred
    Obituary - The End Complete/World Demis
    King Diamond - Them/Conspiracy
    The Best of Malevolent Creation
    Brujeria - The Best of Brujeria
    Pestilence - Consuming Impulse/Testimony of the Ancients

and a few more :)

All dirt cheap - plus last week picked up 2 for 1 special of Sodom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

In Fairness though people Roadrunner have some Amazing bands on the roster. and Madball arent with Roadrunner anymore. they are on Thorp records

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

is the Sounds of the Underground tour coming to ireland, or more importionaly are opet coming this way any time soon

you are joking - a somewhat average metal festival playing Ireland - aint going to happen for one or all of the following reasons

a) metal is a dying music form in Ireland (bull****)
    b) not enough demand (maybe true, depends on who is playing)
    c) no promoter could be bothered (very likely)

For me there are only 3 (at most) bands on that line up I would want to see, Opethl, GWAR and SYL - none of the other bands holds very much interest for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I doubt a label change will have much of an affect on opeths sound tbh. I cant see roadrunner being like 'hmm okay guys any chance of something top 10 on this album? maybe a duet with limp bizkit??'
    If anything its good news, as it says theyll have a new album out by the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

YAY
    I LOVE OPETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    would love to see em live and going to....!
    some day.............

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

If they get a good album or nine out of it I'm happy. I'm even happier if they made a good deal and have good royalties and artistic freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Le Rack wrote:
    YAY
    I LOVE OPETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    would love to see em live and going to....!
    some day.............

Obviously missed the two occassions on which they played here. Hate that!

For the record, just to fill you in, they were both unbelievably amazing nights!

Einst&#252 wrote: »

For the record, just to fill you in, they were both unbelievably amazing nights!

yes, yes they were - extremely memorable - plenty of booze and some damn fine music

• Advertisement

*high five for Opeth live*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Hopefully they'll tour with the new album and I'll get to see them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'd love to go and see them live- I hope they dont play here soon though, or there's not a chance of me getting in.

You hardly look your age. Your one in the cinema yesterday looked at me disbelievingly esterday when I showed her my ISIC so that bodes well for Slayer. Just so long as nobody believes I'm fifteen it's all good. :)

Piste wrote:
    I'd love to go and see them live- I hope they dont play here soon though, or there's not a chance of me getting in.

Just do what I did and get Opeth to play your 18th. Best birthday ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Drevin Fairy

does anyone really give a f*** wether Opeth ore on Roadrunner or not?? I certainly dont. No one has accused them of selling out yet, and if their music reaches a bigger and wider audience, then good for them
    Roadrunner do have some good bands, and theres an increased chance that theyll come to ireland(as Roadrunner bands have in the past), so stop complaining and start partying.

does anyone really give a f*** wether Opeth ore on Roadrunner or not?? I certainly dont. No one has accused them of selling out yet, and if their music reaches a bigger and wider audience, then good for them
    Roadrunner do have some good bands, and theres an increased chance that theyll come to ireland(as Roadrunner bands have in the past), so stop complaining and start partying.

They've played here twice in the last few years. Roadrunner are more likely to stop them coming here than make them come more often as its not deemed a large enough market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

I can't say I'm surprised. I'm not going to **** on on the whole "TRUE METALLLL (look honey, I got the new Manowar CD!)" rant, but their last two albums and the DVD have really widened the range of fans the band has, and made them much more popular. Roadrunner will probably continue this trend, for better or for worse. I can't see Opeth releasing another Orchid, on Roadrunner or any other label, but it remains to be seen how much of a part the label will play in their music.

Once they don't start dressing up as clowns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

grr argh grr! must see opeth!!! must destroy Einsturzende!
    when was that they played cuz Im only 17 so its likely I didnt hear a whisper about it?

• Advertisement

They definitey played in 2001 at the Shelter and I think it was in 2003 when they played Whelans. Both cracking gigs.

John2 wrote:
    They definitey played in 2001 at the Shelter and I think it was in 2003 when they played Whelans. Both cracking gigs.
    What John said. :D

I think you'll find several people from here who were at both. And they'll all tell you two words: "Ha" and "ha". ;)

they'll all tell you two words: "Ha" and "ha". ;)

A "Ha" for each gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Yay! I get to see them the week before my birthday. Possibly the highlight of my move to Birmingham so far. :D Just had to rub it in your faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just picked up both "Deliverance" and "Still Life" in FNAC in Paris yesterday for €5 each. Well happy with that because I couldnt find them in Waterford at all!

tbh, them going to Roadrunner won't make the slightest bit of difference to their sound, and because of that highly unique sound, I reckon they are set to be on roadrunner for a long time!

Just picked up both "Deliverance" and "Still Life" in FNAC in Paris yesterday for €5 each. Well happy with that because I couldnt find them in Waterford at all!

:eek: Bargainalicious!

So if Opeth are touring soon does that mean we've a new album soon?

I had heard one was due out at the end of the year but according to Roadrunner it's due out the end of the summer. I await it hungrily... I also hope to see them soon, either if they do an Irish date, or if I can persuade a parent to take me to England. :rolleyes:

I had heard one was due out at the end of the year but according to Roadrunner it's due out the end of the summer. I await it hungrily... I also hope to see them soon, either if they do an Irish date, or if I can persuade a parent to take me to England. :rolleyes:

Maybe there's two? One at the end of summer and another at the end of the year (Opeth does Christmas anybody?). I need a new Opeth fix, this is a welcome development.

I haven't gotten all their albums... yet. Ah, Opeth at Christmas, what better way to finish out a year. I might try and get over to Britain if they don't play an Irish date.

• Advertisement

They would be worth it. Did you see them any of the times they played here?

Advertisement