Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shomera.ie - Any opinions?

Options
  • 29-04-2005 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I am moving house shortly and was planning to extend pretty much immediately to build an office,playroom and utility room onto the side to give us more space downstairs. I heard an ad on the radio yesterday for these guys
    Shomera.ie
    And it does seem to be a pretty good solution. Obvious downsides to the extension are the time and dirt around the place while construction is ongoing (with a one year old boy around the place), not to mention the price.
    On the other hand, for the money, the Shomera is basically a prefab/portakabin, as far as I can tell, and would probably be nowhere near as permanent a job as the block built extension.

Has anybody any experience of such buildings or opinions on them over the long term?

Thanks,
    Milltown

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

As you say yourself, its basically a prefabricated cabin. Using standard timberframe techniques for construction. I dont see any radical design improvements that would put it far beyond a conventional tf build, with the choice of external claddings of wood , sheeting ect.

I could not find a price for it at the moment, but using rationel window systems, which are good, and expensive, I'd imagine you would be paying top money for it. I have never come across company before, but they are really just using standard tf techniques in a modular building system, and no doubt there is a market for it.

A well built block extension, definitely is hard to beat. would be interested to know cost per foot.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I have seen their product and it does look good, they will build it to suit your requirements including power points and telphone connections.

I would not consider them a temporary measure as the last I heard they are not cheap (a bit like RooKad) and I am not sure if they have resale value.

If you have the time it might be better to extend and have the job finished,

Advertisement