Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota 1.6 boy racers Crash and Court Case

Options
  • 29-04-2005 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

unkel wrote:
    :confused:
    so?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Clicky on the linky for the article ;)

unkel wrote:
    Clicky on the linky for the article ;)
    I did, I read.
    So you're providing a news-pointing-out service now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Apologies, you need to register to view the article. Here goes from todays Indo:

[font=Arial, Verdana, Arial][/font]
    [font=Arial, Verdana, Arial]Car enthusiast' was driving at 110mph just before crash[/font]
    A CAR enthusiast told the High Court yesterday that he was driving at about 110 mph (177kph) when his vehicle went out of control and that it was doing 80/90 mph as it crashed, seriously injuring his passenger, also a car enthusiast.

Brian Cooke (24) said he had got to know his passenger, Alan Anderson, now aged 25, through a website. On the evening of the accident the latter had asked him to see how fast they could go and that he (Mr Anderson) would take pictures of the speedometer to put on the web.

Mr Anderson, a mechanic, of Maypark Lane, Waterford, is suing Brian Cooke and his father Thomas Cooke, both of Pinewood Avenue, Hillview, Waterford, arising out of the crash at Port View, Belview, Waterford, on November 18, 2001.

Mr Cooke senior was not in the car at the time of the accident and is sued as owner of the vehicle.

The defence denies the claim. It submits that Mr Anderson was in the vehicle for the purpose of obtaining photographic evidence of the Toyota 1.6 Twin Cam GTI performing at maximum speed, which, it is claimed, he required for submission to a website.

Mr Anderson, who was a student at the time, sustained a fracture and other serious injuries to his right leg and ankle. The President of the High Court, Justice Joseph Finnegan, had part heard the case during a sitting in Waterford last July. It was stated at yesterday's resumed hearing that Mr Anderson had no recall for some time prior to the accident and subsequent to it.

In evidence yesterday, Brian Cooke said Mr Anderson was a front seat passenger. Mr Anderson rang him and they agreed to meet. Mr Anderson asked him to go to Port Road and see how fast they could go. He said he would take pictures. Mr Anderson had a camera and wanted to photograph the speedometer at maximum speed. The road was about two miles long with one or two slight curves.

As they took off, Mr Anderson took out a camera and said "Are you ready." The took off at maximum speed. About half way down the road, Mr Anderson leaned over and took a picture of the speedometer. The car was doing in excess of 125mph (200kph).

They went back along the road and Mr Anderson suggested to do it again. On the second run he did not have the same speed. No photo was taken. The back of the car spun to the left and across the road towards an embankment. The car's speed had been about 110 mph and he could not get it back under control. It collided with a lamp post

Brian Cooke said he himself was slightly trapped but was able to got out. Mr Anderson was trapped. The emergency services arrived. Several days later, he got his wallet, a mobile phone and a camera from a garda who had been at the scene. He left the camera, which was damaged, into a photo shop. He got back three pictures. Two were "black" and the third showed the speedometer of the car with the needle indicating a speed of 126 mph.

It was put to Brian Cooke that the garda had stated that he had seen no camera in the car. Mr Cooke said he could not remember if he had signed for the camera when he got it back.

Brian Cooke said he had been prosecuted in the District Court for dangerous driving and was convicted. He had appealed to the Circuit Court.

He had not told his insurance company that the vehicle was Twin Cam.

The hearing continues today

125mph isn't really all that impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

could be worst , they could kill somebody, hope judge gives him good riding

not mentioning stupid website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Another AE86 destroyed in the hands of boy racers.
    those things are arse-out crash machines, i've head the following lines so many times.
    day 1: "I gat a twin cam man, it's deadly fast an i can do donuts and everything"

week later: "man i crashed the twin cam, lost it on a corner"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Gurgle wrote:
    125mph isn't really all that impressive.
    And what is? Do you go around breaking personal land speed records too?

:rolleyes:

Seanie M wrote:
    And what is? Do you go around breaking personal land speed records too?
    :rolleyes:
    I'm not saying that 125mph isn't fast, I'm saying its not fast enough to boast about or to take a picture of the speedometer for your website.

If you want to impress with your ability to press down on a peddle, you'll have to do better than that.

not any more

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Gurgle wrote:
    If you want to impress with your ability to press down on a peddle, you'll have to do better than that.
    Thats interesting, coz nothing about speeding in a car impresses me.
    Mad Huh! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oh you're so overly PC it's not funny. I knew exactly what Gurgle meant, just because he said people have driven a lot faster than 125mph doesn't mean he was condoning it.

Stark wrote:
    Oh you're so overly PC it's not funny. I knew exactly what Gurgle meant, just because he said people have driven a lot faster than 125mph doesn't mean he was condoning it.
    And what pray tell is Politically Correct about not being a moron on the roads?
    Obeying the law is PC now is it?
    Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I note that the car was not declared as a TC to the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I note that the car was not declared as a TC to the insurance.

bet you could hear the policy bailout footsteps running off in the background before they'd even realised they'd hit anything!

GreeBo wrote:
    Thats interesting, coz nothing about speeding in a car impresses me.
    Mad Huh! :cool:
    I'm not trying to impress you or anybody else.

I'm merely pointing out that if I wanted to drive a car soooooo fast that like minded twats would think I was really cool, I would be setting my sights a lot higher than 125mph.

Get it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Daddys car + invalid insurance + 125mph.. yeah real clever, begs the question how many of these brainless scrotes are actually properly insured on those maxed cars ?

70mph is fast for those rusty little sh|tbox corollas, 125mph+ is just plain mental, no wonder they crashed, lucky they didn't kill someone, which website did they require "photographic evidence of the Toyota 1.6 Twin Cam GTI performing at maximum speed" for "submission" to ?

Surely this website should be investigated further with a view to closing it down, or at the very least discouraging this sort of behaviour before somebody loses their life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

528i wrote:
    Daddys car + invalid insurance + 125mph.. yeah real clever, begs the question how many of these brainless scrotes are actually properly insured on those maxed cars ?.

Sadly, very few.

As far as i'm aware, there are some insurance companies in Ireland that don't have the AE86 Twincam on their books, and will simply insure it as 1.6 corolla, despite trying to explain to them exactly what they are. :eek:

On the other hand, there's also the scammers who forget to mention vtecs, gti, turbos etc... Will that ever change? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

I have to say that any dirtbag who drives at 125mph for the purpose of getting a bigger ego, needs to get a swift kick to the balls and then taken outside and shot... Its retards like that who drive up insurance, have they no idea that driving like that is for sissy-ass chickens who think that they are great.. if they need to prance around in there penis ententions all day trying to show off there small manhood do it in a field were they belong liek animals...

God grow up people - are ye not going to be happy till ye have the blood a child on your hands.....

And of course i am sure you will all reply with the usual.. your wrong - i'm so right bull.. well the fact that you have to prove that you need to show in a car and so on means that your not worthy of the title human being....

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

at least if they are going to drive around like that they should take into account a few things

1. at least have a decent car
    2. be quailfied to drive it i.e. advanced driving school , provisional licence is not a licence to drive like a twat,

and even taking into account the afore mentioned , there is always the "what if " factor , because no matter how good you "think" you can drive there will always be the "what if " factor. I spent 2 years in the U.S. and while i was there i did the advanced tactical driving course, which i passed , but with the exception of one occasion i have never had to use the skills i was thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Gurgle wrote:
    I'm not trying to impress you or anybody else.

I'm merely pointing out that if I wanted to drive a car soooooo fast that like minded twats would think I was really cool, I would be setting my sights a lot higher than 125mph.

Get it ?

I don't get your point. If you were going to do something really dumb, like these guys you'd do something even more dumb to prove you could be more stupid.

??? :confused:

• Advertisement

if you were going to do something really dumb, like these guys you'd do something even more dumb to prove you could be more stupid.

:confused:

lol!! What a head wreck! I like it! :D

1. at least have a decent car
    2. be quailfied to drive it i.e. advanced driving school , provisional licence is not a licence to drive like a twat,
    In my book thats still acting like a tosser.
    I spent 2 years in the U.S. and while i was there i did the advanced tactical driving course, which i passed , but with the exception of one occasion i have never had to use the skills i was thought
    Thats great that you have these Advanced Technical Skills, Im sure they get you to Tesco quicker,:cool: but the fact still remains that there are more of them out there than there are of you, you can have all the skills you want behind a wheel, but if you are doing 125 and a kid walks out, all you'll need your tactics for are explaining to his parents.
    Driving in excess of the speed limits on a public road is stupid, dangerous and in my book makes you a cretin.
    Nothing personal.

I don't get your point. If you were going to do something really dumb, like these guys you'd do something even more dumb to prove you could be more stupid.

Im pretty sure that if you drive at 125mph, logic 'aint yer thang...

GreeBo wrote:
    In my book thats still acting like a tosser.

Thats great that you have these Advanced Technical Skills, Im sure they get you to Tesco quicker,:cool: but the fact still remains that there are more of them out there than there are of you, you can have all the skills you want behind a wheel, but if you are doing 125 and a kid walks out, all you'll need your tactics for are explaining to his parents.
    Driving in excess of the speed limits on a public road is stupid, dangerous and in my book makes you a cretin.
    Nothing personal.

thats my point exactly , its the "what if " factor . Even thought i have done the course , i dont drive like a maniac ,i obey the speed limits , but i have needed the skills to avoid boy racers from crashing into me. I did the course to improve my driving skills , not to become a boy racer .

thats my point exactly , its the "what if " factor . Even thought i have done the course , i dont drive like a maniac ,i obey the speed limits , but i have needed the skills to avoid boy racers from crashing into me. I did the course to improve my driving skills , not to become a boy racer .

What skills did you use?

Lift off understeEr?
    Heel and toe?
    Power drifting?
    Scandinavian flick?

Or was the 'what if factor' all you needed? :D
    Those pesky boy racers! Always tryna drive into you!! CRAZY! :eek:

i had two muppets driving side by side on a road in county limerick at 3 am one morning , waited until the idiot on my side reacted first , then took avoiding action , that is one thing we were taught , wait to see what the other guy will do , afterall you dont want to make a gut decision and react only to find the other guy has reacted the same way a you, all i lost was my side mirror , but in all the confusion , i was still able to give the Gardai the make , model, colour registration and a decent description of the driver , who was then caught by the gardai,

I don't mean to sound like a prat here,

But it sounds like all you had to do was put your foot on the brake...
    Let those idiots get on with their idiocy, and maybe you'd still have your mirrir intact! :rolleyes:

sounds like that , but then it would apper that i had bags of time to react, all i had was about 10 seconds , so braking would have been the wrong thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

528i wrote:
    lucky they didn't kill someone

The doctors didnt have much hope for the passenger on the night of the accident, lucky he survived
    528i wrote:
    which website did they require "photographic evidence of the Toyota 1.6 Twin Cam GTI performing at maximum speed" for "submission" to ?

yea that was a misprint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

... waited until the idiot on my side reacted first , then took avoiding action
    Ahh, nothing like a good game of chicken :D
    Brian Cooke said he had been prosecuted in the District Court for dangerous driving and was convicted. He had appealed to the Circuit Court.
    He appealed :eek:

causal

Advertisement