Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota 1.6 boy racers Crash and Court Case

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Gurgle wrote:
    I'm not saying that 125mph isn't fast, I'm saying its not fast enough to boast about or to take a picture of the speedometer for your website.

If you want to impress with your ability to press down on a peddle, you'll have to do better than that.

not any more

ye id agree i love f1 cars wouldnt mind taking 2 years to learn how to drive one in a strait line just to know what it feels like . wouldnt also mind bing a pilot must be around the same sort of feeling

ye if i wanted to brag about speed id get into somthn faster . seeing one of them 200 mph+ skylines on airfields is also nice

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

my 66 848cc mini will do 74mph flat out, full chat, I even have video of the speedo, never mind poxy photos, how's that for oneupmansip.... and all 100% legal :-)

i got to see the irish times version of this story . it differs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the old corollas were crash machines all right, the rear axle is a solid beam cart spring type and under lateral loading the tyre doesnt fully contact the ground creating an instability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Regarding the description of the car not matching the insurance cover, given that the insurance companies can presumably then refuse to pay out any compensation or court award, etc., and treat the case as an uninsured driver incident to be covered by the fund for this purpose, is there any incentive for insurance companies to ensure that the car being insured is correctly described, included all modifications etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

AlienGav wrote:
    On the other hand, there's also the scammers who forget to mention vtecs, gti, turbos etc... Will that ever change? :confused:

It won't till the insurance companies cop them selves on and stop paying out on policies that are deliberately misleading. Crashing at 125mph alone should be enough to invalidate your insurance. Crashes should all be investigated to make sure the details match the policy. One or two non payouts of €20,000 or so will pay for someone to perform the checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

elexes wrote:
    i got to see the irish times version of this story . it differs

That's worrying. One would have thought that the two major national newspapers got their facts right

Any link? Or would you care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Chuck Yeager, legendary test pilot, is impressive:
    He attained a top speed of Mach 1.06 (700 mph).
    Richard Noble, world land speed record holder, is impressive:
    The average speed between the two runs was 763.035 miles per hour, which is Mach 1.020.
    Michael Schumacher is impressive, Lance Armstrong is impressive, Valentino Rossi is impressive.

If people want to go faster they can take it to the track.
    If that's not enough then they can take it to the roads of the Isle of Man ;)

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Stekelly wrote:
    Crashing at 125mph alone should be enough to invalidate your insurance.

Dead right. Surely that would sort out this crippling insurance. Its about time those who endanger others n the roads are punished. Not those who are a certain age or sex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

He had not told his insurance company that the vehicle was Twin Cam.

Was the engine exchanged from a std to a Twin Cam?.
    And what are we to determine from the statment?.

If they had declared it as a TC, they get off scott free, ie, in order to do 125 in a Corrolla, you must have a TC or you'r not insureable?.

Anyway, if not modified, is it not up to the ins co to determine what it is from the VIN, without modification, the VIN tells everythign you need to know about the car, engine, etc.
    Kind of a stupid question and attitude to technology, IMHO.

It is possible for someone to own a car and not know how many cams, cranks, injectors, plugs, valves or oil caps are under the hood.....
    So the owner either not knowing or declaring it is a TC or 4 cam etc is not a good system.

Even the "ins" experts themselves are not well up on these items, as years ago when my bro was insureing his diesel, the "person" behind the counter was doing very well until s/he asked if it "was fuel injected". Of course it is, what of it?.
    Reply; "Injected" engines are rated higher...
    So now we have a situation where an "injected" diesel possibly costs more to insure than a twin choke carb producing greater power.

Don't know how the story ended, but you can see how the driving public are at the mercy of some form generating pion who cannot (or choose not to) tell the difference between Petrol Injection and Diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

528i wrote:
    Daddys car + invalid insurance + 125mph.. yeah real clever, begs the question how many of these brainless scrotes are actually properly insured on those maxed cars ?

70mph is fast for those rusty little sh|tbox corollas, 125mph+ is just plain mental, no wonder they crashed, lucky they didn't kill someone, which website did they require "photographic evidence of the Toyota 1.6 Twin Cam GTI performing at maximum speed" for "submission" to ?

Surely this website should be investigated further with a view to closing it down, or at the very least discouraging this sort of behaviour before somebody loses their life.

Surely if you choose to speed would you take respancability for your actions or would ya try and get out of it buy balmeing a website ?

and as for corrollas there fun cars to drive if ya can actual piolt a car correctly and not like a moron ,

as for photographic evidance to gain acess to a website im a "boy racer " well was kinda grown up now , and even back then ya did not have to give photo graphic evidance jesus yad think we all wanna be like the fools who street race etc etc ....Its noy like that with any of them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Hash Boy

Gurgle wrote:
    I'm not saying that 125mph isn't fast, I'm saying its not fast enough to boast about or to take a picture of the speedometer for your website.

If you want to impress with your ability to press down on a peddle, you'll have to do better than that.

not any more
    Bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Gurgle wrote:

not any more

I have to agree that 125 in a so called maxed out car is pretty sad. In my younger (and by that I mean stupid) days I got ~123mph out of a rattley 97' 1.2 Punto S, with absolutly no madification, even down to the origional steel wheels. This was on the M7 at about 3 in the morning, and I met no other cars on the road, just wanted to see what the car could do, god I used to drive like a gob****e! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I got ~123mph out of a rattley 97' 1.2 Punto S, with absolutly no madification

Was that down the cliffs of Moher? :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The case was up again on friday, anyone hear the result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

god I used to drive like a gob****e! :rolleyes:

didnt well all i think its that peroid of growing up were ur eather lucky or unlucky ....

unkel wrote:
    That's worrying. One would have thought that the two major national newspapers got their facts right

Any link? Or would you care to elaborate?

i dont have it with me i had it in work . should still be there ill look 2mor if i find it ill see if i can borrow a scanner

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Fooking boy racer scrotes driving up insurance. Its got to the point where its difficult for a male in his 20s to get insurance on any car that isnt a 1litre ****box, god help you if you need to cart any large / heavy gear around from A to B. Disgusted. I hope the judge breaks him into teeny tiny pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Its got to the point where its difficult for a male in his 20s to get insurance on any car that isnt a 1litre ****box, god help you if you need to cart any large / heavy gear around from A to B. Disgusted. I hope the judge breaks him into teeny tiny pieces.

On the other hand once you get old and NEED health insurance everyone else will contribute instead of you paying more because of your age! Risk-equalisation is what they call it, but I can't see it coming to a young male driver near you. Would make an interesting question for anybody looking for votes though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

@fuzzwuzzy

what sort of a twit are you, you condone speeding, lunacy, and then lie through your teeth about what speed you did in a 1.2 punto. that has about as much chance of doing 120 as my tool. even if it could, the stability would be at the very least questionable. I've done a bit of rally driving and a couple of track days, believe me, 120mph is not a simple case of putting the boot down. you idiot. keep off the roads.

p.s using 'it was 3 am' as an excuse is ridiculous, just listen to the reports of accidents any day, 7/10 times you'll hear that it was a single vehicle collision on a deserted road at 4am. doesnt matter what age you are, stupidity and speed kill. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Fooking boy racer scrotes driving up insurance. ........

cut the crap.

boyracers are the problem but insurance is another thing. when everybody was blaming boy racers accident ratio was

56% young drivers
    44% old dudes.

this is not enough to justify the premiums. The same applies to motorbikes.

everybody screws young guys where according to numbers:

most of the accidents are caused by guys 30-40 flying on big torpedo’s outside Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

30-40yr olds don't attempt photographing themselves (for admission to a website) at speeds in excess or 125mph. (well if they do (just thought of justin) they don't crash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Kermitt wrote:
    @fuzzwuzzy

what sort of a twit are you, you condone speeding, lunacy, and then lie through your teeth about what speed you did in a 1.2 punto. that has about as much chance of doing 120 as my tool. even if it could, the stability would be at the very least questionable. I've done a bit of rally driving and a couple of track days, believe me, 120mph is not a simple case of putting the boot down. you idiot. keep off the roads.

p.s using 'it was 3 am' as an excuse is ridiculous, just listen to the reports of accidents any day, 7/10 times you'll hear that it was a single vehicle collision on a deserted road at 4am. doesnt matter what age you are, stupidity and speed kill. :mad:

are you asking him for a photo to prove it.... :D

528i wrote:
    30-40yr olds don't attempt photographing themselves (for admission to a website) at speeds in excess or 125mph. (well if they do (just thought of justin) they don't crash :D

the voice of experience again:), if you are more into videos that's your personal preference,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

528i wrote:

Technically, he didn't photograph himself, he got the other guy to do that for him. Which of course is a much safer way of doing things :)

Technically, he didn't photograph himself, he got the other guy to do that for him. Which of course is a much safer way of doing things :)

Please excuse 528 he likes to photograph himself in front of the bathroom mirrors in various angles. ...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Ratchet wrote:
    cut the crap.

boyracers are the problem but insurance is another thing. when everybody was blaming boy racers accident ratio was

56% young drivers
    44% old dudes.

this is not enough to justify the premiums. The same applies to motorbikes.

While I'm inclined to agree, just on face value, paper articles, etc.
    Anyone got the stats on cost/age bracket.
    eg, the 56% you refer to account for €90% in liability, while the 44% account for €10%, etc. and it could easily be the other way round.
    and remember those are only the recorded ones, how many go unrecorded and settled immediately with a check book. I have handled 2 that way with no problems, 1 for, 1 against.

(story from the guy across the wall), he had an accident (slipped on the first rain of the season, into the back of the car in front) some years back. Amounted to a $700 claim, which he had indicated he woudl pay himself, however the other party sent the bill tot he ins co. So far he has paid $2100 extra in insurance premiuns over the last 3~4 years. Pretty profitable claim for the ins co!.

528; As for taking photos while driving;
    Always like to get the rollover of the significant numbers, 100K, etc.
    That plastic disposable you have in the glove box is just the item for the job, less buttons and distraction than those digitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 daskraut

at least if they are going to drive around like that they should take into account a few things

1. at least have a decent car
    2. be quailfied to drive it i.e. advanced driving school , provisional licence is not a licence to drive like a twat,

and even taking into account the afore mentioned , there is always the "what if " factor , because no matter how good you "think" you can drive there will always be the "what if " factor. I spent 2 years in the U.S. and while i was there i did the advanced tactical driving course, which i passed , but with the exception of one occasion i have never had to use the skills i was thought

Big deal about your tactical course suppose your looking for a medal aswell, who cares

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Btw, he didn't need this pic to get admission to the website, he just wanted bragging rights. The site does not ask people for pictures of people driving like idiots in cars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JizzyJiggles

Kracken wrote:
    I have to say that any dirtbag who drives at 125mph for the purpose of getting a bigger ego, needs to get a swift kick to the balls and then taken outside and shot... Its retards like that who drive up insurance, have they no idea that driving like that is for sissy-ass chickens who think that they are great.. if they need to prance around in there penis ententions all day trying to show off there small manhood do it in a field were they belong liek animals...

God grow up people - are ye not going to be happy till ye have the blood a child on your hands.....

And of course i am sure you will all reply with the usual.. your wrong - i'm so right bull.. well the fact that you have to prove that you need to show in a car and so on means that your not worthy of the title human being....

Kracken I really don't think such a violent punishment is necessary. I do believe you have over-reacted a tad bit here. Although I don't agree with 'boy racers' as such, I also don't agree with killing a person. Obviously you do tho? IMO its people like you, who do not want to deal with the problem but would rather erradicate it, are "sissy-ass chickens" who need "to prance around in there penis ententions all day trying to show off". I really hope you what you wrote was in the heat of the moment and can since see your error.

Violence, Over Reaction & Impulsiveness really don't mix in my opinion. It really only leads to trouble on the wrong side of the law!!!

In relation to the actual topic - I do think its ridiculous what took place in that car. Taking photographic evidence of a speedometer really seems quiet worthless to me ... not to mention stupid, irresponsible, immature and dangerous. I just hope that both boys have learned their lesson from their crash (and that neither were seriously injured)

Advertisement