Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

getting a job in video editing ?

• 29-04-2005 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

this one is for lump, dustaz, hughcal and anyone else who works i nthe industry

just how the hell do you manage to get a job in this line of work ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

He he, I went to uni for 3 years. Applied for a job as a trainee in the bbc. I applied last easter (3 Months before I finished my degree) got asked to come to a test centre in london. Went to that, did a group excercise and some aptitude tests. Got called back for an interview, it went well. Now I'm here. I am permenant staff now with the BBC as I've gotten through my 6 months probation. After the traineeship I need to apply for a job as a "Post-Production Assistant". Once I get that I can become an editor fairly rapid.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

what did you study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

this one is for lump, dustaz, hughcal and anyone else who works i nthe industry

just how the hell do you manage to get a job in this line of work ?

I did three years college, dip in film operations and degree in media production. Which means shag all in the industry. Applied for a position as a runner in a post house into dublin, and three months later was an edit assistant. Didn't like the company, left moved in the UK, and have been mostly working freelance as an assistant editor in tv drama and features. Though I now do some news editing.

John mildly curious, through whom did you apply for the position, and how secure is it with the upcoming downsizing?

Applied online, via the jobs website. www.bbc.co.uk/jobs The person "In-charge" so to speak is Maike Hachfield.

It's secure as far as I'm permenant staff a number of things could happen. I will be made redundant, bad as I have no time in the company so would get a few pence for my trouble.

The more likely option, is that BBC postproduction, part of BBC Resources Ltd (A seperate profit making company which pumps money back in to the BBC, introduced by Burt when he suggested producers choice) would be sold off to a private company and we would move to a green fields location. Soho houses are bricking themselves that this will happen, as if we are free from the restraints of the BBc and being in this building we can swallow the Indy houses up, apparently we are a very good business, but due to rent issues and other political bollox, we are crap at making profit.

John

Lump wrote:
    Applied online, via the jobs website. www.bbc.co.uk/jobs The person "In-charge" so to speak is Maike Hachfield.

It's secure as far as I'm permenant staff a number of things could happen. I will be made redundant, bad as I have no time in the company so would get a few pence for my trouble.

The more likely option, is that BBC postproduction, part of BBC Resources Ltd (A seperate profit making company which pumps money back in to the BBC, introduced by Burt when he suggested producers choice) would be sold off to a private company and we would move to a green fields location. Soho houses are bricking themselves that this will happen, as if we are free from the restraints of the BBc and being in this building we can swallow the Indy houses up, apparently we are a very good business, but due to rent issues and other political bollox, we are crap at making profit.

John

Just curious I'm moving to london in a few weeks, and I know post production is on the hit list as it were.

I can't imagine it going wholesale, bbc post is just too damn massive to be swallowed whole by another company. I think this is too complex an issue. See the government can't be seen to setting up the BBC so it'll be in a position to swallow up the indy houses. Aside from anything the marketplace will suffer due to lack of competition, not to mention the bad pr for the move if by selling off the BBC is resulting in the shuting down of competition. Vibe I'm getting is this is going to be the biggest shake up of uk post since avid set up shop.

One of the reasons why there are mulitipile post houses in Ireland is it's good for RTE and independent production companies to have alternative suppliers, that way if one post house gets too big for it's boots, or jacks up prices the production companys can go to a competitor. It's in no one's best interest to have a behometh on the market place.

Punchline is I can't see BBC post going as one individual unit, may get sold piecemeal. My two euro anyway.

• Advertisement

He he, they might be selling BBC Broadcast to the Caryle group, you know the guys linked with dodgy dealing and bush. They sold BBC Technology to Siemens, and as they are a ltd company, the governement can't actually stop the sell off. Post production gets No money from the license fee, hence we are not bound by the same conditions.

They are talking for selling off, Broadcast, Post Production, Studios and an other group I tihnk. Essentially the BBC will be a group of producers.

The BBC will make no sense when the broadcasting area is sold off, since we will no longer be broadcasting ;)

What are you moving to London to do? Free lance or have you work lined up?

John

Lump wrote:
    He he, they might be selling BBC Broadcast to the Caryle group, you know the guys linked with dodgy dealing and bush. They sold BBC Technology to Siemens, and as they are a ltd company, the governement can't actually stop the sell off. Post production gets No money from the license fee, hence we are not bound by the same conditions.

They are talking for selling off, Broadcast, Post Production, Studios and an other group I tihnk. Essentially the BBC will be a group of producers.

The BBC will make no sense when the broadcasting area is sold off, since we will no longer be broadcasting ;)

What are you moving to London to do? Free lance or have you work lined up?

John

Shame isn't it, you got in very indiana jones like just at the last minute *S*

Just finished Boorman's adventure's of a suburban boy, the bbc of the 60s was a v. different place.

Preferably feature film assisting. though I can turn my hand to news cutting, documentary assisting, tv drama, and post house assisting. I still have some friends over there. I'm I'm starting to lay out some feelers.

I don't think it's possible to freelance assist in ireland any more truthfully I'd find it easier to freelance in Ireland from the UK. But features in the UK have still been hit since the tax snafu of last year.

Advertisement