Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mammy's new car!

Options
  • 29-04-2005 1:07pm

The ma's after picking up an 04 Astra, with only 6000 miles on it today. It's lovely. Gorgeous red, alloys, mp3 cd player. Only let down, no sunroof or a/c. I'll post pics up later, it's a nice drive too, (As a 16 year old i can't possibly be driviing though, as it is illegal :D ).

What's the general consensus on this car? She was originally going for a C4 but i begged her not too. Is it the best small car in it's class for the money? (€16500)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

just bought a C4,(the alfa had to go) was looking at the astra, did not like it underpowered, underspeced, thought the C4 was just a much nicer drive. Bought the 3 door coupe, but from what i can gather from the reviews they are basically pretty much the same standard of car. End of the day it is personal preference, each to their own

How much did you pay for it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I think the citroen's are underestimated as a brand. I had a xsara van for a couple of years and the thing was bullet proof, with a lot of extras. As regards the new C4, i think it's a great looking car with a reasonable price tag. Astra's are overpriced IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is that the new model Astra? If it is, it got pretty good reviews. Most went as far as saying it is the best in it's class

New model yes. And cheaper than a similer C4, 6000 miles one year old. It's a lovely looking thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

The problem (or one of them) with citroen is the regular price drops to move motors...value decreases shortly after the cars are launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

The 3door coupe C4 is a nice motor btw, shame it doesn't actually transform, I loved that ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

De Hipster wrote:
    The 3door coupe C4 is a nice motor btw, shame it doesn't actually transform, I loved that ad!
    It's hideous (IMO of course).....the 5 door is a better looking machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

€16500 !!

If that was stiflers mom she'd have bought an uberpanzer 740i or a '99 WRX Sti Type RA with water sprayed interoolers, your mom is so not cool dude icon13.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

1.4 astra- that was imaginative... oh its red...mmm cool and stuff

• Advertisement

PICT0202.jpg
    car.jpg
    Car2.jpg
    PICT0206.jpg

i particularly like this pic, it's kinda Artsy!

PICT0207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

You get more for your money with C4. Replaced my Xsara 01 2.0 HDI to C4 1.6 HDI VSX 110HP it is quicker than my old xsara :D And economic too, I get about 1200 km per tank, tank is 60L.

VSX is the top of the range in diesels and you do get lots of toys like dual climate control, cruise control, speed limiter, ESP traction control, electric windows front and back, central arm rests both front and back, boot organizer, 16" alloys, fog bla bla and best of all (for me at least) electrosomething mirrors goes dark with the lights on the car behind. No more cursing to fog lights and jeeps behind ;) Well worth the 2k extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

as 528i said u could have got a 2000 Bmw 740i for the same money with a 300 bhp 4.4 v8 engine, 5 speed auto gearbox, full leather, split climate control, o-60 in under 6.6 seconds. used cars are almost free these days.........still nice car and colour good luck with it :D

well come november i'd struggle to get a straight answer from an insurance company with regards to a 740i. My mam wanted something that i could drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

lomb wrote:
    as 528i said u could have got a 2000 Bmw 740i for the same money with a 300 bhp 4.4 v8 engine, 5 speed auto gearbox, full leather, split climate control, o-60 in under 6.6 seconds. used cars are almost free these days.........still nice car and colour good luck with it :D

Do you get free petrol station with that? :p
    And tax is 'only' €1343 a year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

halkar wrote:
    Do you get free petrol station with that? :p
    And tax is 'only' €1343 a year :rolleyes:

petrol isnt too bad, its only the perception that its dear tbh. road tax isnt that bad either if u put it as a percentage of running costs. i would expect that a new astra would cost 2300depreciation+1200 fuel+300 tax+200 servicing a year+insurance, and a 2000 bmw would be 2500 depreciation,2200fuel+1350 tax+300 servicing+insurance so the astra will cost 4000 a year and the bmw 6500 , a difference of 2 and a half grand for a car that is 6 times the list price of the astra, not bad, not bad at all. if u go for a older say 98 ish bmw then cost to run it is roughly the same as a new astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

well come november i'd struggle to get a straight answer from an insurance company with regards to a 740i. My mam wanted something that i could drive too.

LOL - can't beat that answer. The parking sensors on the 740i wouldn't really help your mam to parallel park either ;)

Advertisement