Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't edit club website 'cos I changed ISP provider?

Options
  • 29-04-2005 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need some advice with this problem. I used to have a Broadband account on Eircom last year, the basic home DSL package. Last year I joined a club and took over as their webmaster. The site is on http://homepage.eircom.net and I had the passwords from the original webmaster and was able to edit it happily enough. However in March I changed to Ripwave, and since then I find I can't edit the site from the eircom webuild page as the passwords aren't accepted. I assume this is because I am on another ISP. I don't want to move the webpage to another site as it is old and established...

So what can I do to get around this? Edit offline and give it to someone else in the club with eircom to post up I suppose, yeah! Any other suggestions? Any reccomendations on a software package to build the site offline apart from Dreamweaver, that might be shareware. I'm very rusty on this sorta stuff.

Thanks,
    Tomohawk
    Missing link scooter club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

if you still have access to dialup you could try setting up a free eircom.net dialup connection - i'd say they would let you edit it when connected with that...

i know i needed to ftp to an eircom site a couple of years ago and they locked me out since i was using iol - scabby...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Yep - you can only access eircom ftp via an eircom connection. Best thing to do is to actually get some proper hosting for it.

Or signup for some other freewebspace that your current ISP would provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Thanks for the replies.
    Site has to stay put I'm afraid so no transfers to another host. Can I get 56k dialup on the old house phone where I had upgraded to eircom dsl early last year? I always assumed that I couldn't go back to 56k once I had upgraded to eircom dsl at that location??

That would be a solution, I could edit on my main machine and transfer (slowly) via 56k at home, a bit crude I know but...

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

The best thing about the free eircom webspace is that it is kept ad-free, and you probably want to keep the url that your members have become used to. So I can see why you'd want to keep it instead of switching to another free webspace provider.

Here's one suggestion anyway... If dial-up is such an inconvenience to update with, you could just use it sparingly, for example, only upload HTML files (which should just take a few seconds for each one even on dial up). Sign up for a free account at another free webspace provider and upload your larger files (video clips, audio, large images, etc...) there via your ripwave dsl. Link to those outsourced files from your eircom account.

Maybe the best thing to do is buy some webspace and a domain name. If you've got enough members it might work cheaper than you expect (if everyone chips in a few quid). There's a few advantages of buying webspace. If you get an account with a MySQL database and you could install a message board and all that kind of stuff. And, you'd have a lot more storage space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Why don't you get a proper domain and hosting?
    If the free webspace is inaccessible most of the time then it's not much use to you.
    Solution - add a meta refresh to the index page to redirect to a new address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

It would cost you 60 euro for hosting plus 12 euro for a .com domain name with hosting365.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

axer wrote:
    It would cost you 60 euro for hosting plus 12 euro for a .com domain name with hosting365.ie!

Or a LOT cheaper with many, many others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

agreed!

Advertisement