Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 270 Last Night

Options
  • 29-04-2005 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed last nights game for the craic but not the cards. I started out with a few good hands on a table with Paddy Hicks and a drunk obnoxious guy I will not name.
    I got moved to the next table , sitting next to the drunk and Paul Lecky. Sean Murphy was on my table too. Sean was giving plenty of verbal about protecting his BB so my first hand I see KK on Sean's BB and raise him and Paul who had limped. No takers. Next hand Sean is on BB he does the same thing and this time invites Paul Leckey to play. Bit of banter folled by a call from Paul and the two of them see a 763 rainbow flop. Sean goes alll-in and Paul immediately calls. Sean has top 2 pair and Paul has bottom set. That hand was relayed to everyone within earshot of Paul for the next 4 hours.

Before the break I got moved to Bitme's left with Collette to my left. Nothing major here but made the break with 8.7k. Afterwards I was moved upstairs to a table with me in seat one and Doc Farrell in 2. There was Mick McCloskey, Paul again, Eamon Connolly, Collette and Dave Hickson.
    I had to sit there for the next few hours and watch my stack, and Doc's, just wilt away. Mick and Paul just keep up the relentless pushing of their big stacks, which was educational to watch but very hard to take. As there were tables around the corner still, we ended up playing short handed and Doc got knocked out when he put in his last 4k with KJo. He was hit. I managed to scrape into the last 30 with just 4.5k left and the blinds at 800/1500. The problem was that I had just had the blinds pass me and was moved to UTG. I just could not get a position to shove it in. The blinds came again and I passed them, much to the surprise of everyone at the table. As I've said before, they're my chips so I'm going to decide when I'm going to lose them!

With 1100 left I put them in against the BB who got 400 back! I then put them in with J9o against AQo and flopped the 9. I then went in with 77 against AQs and won. This continued until I had about 25k and got the cowboys and raised to 10k and was called by the shortstack with AJ and he hit an A on the river. The river hit me again for change.

We were down to 7 handed and 21 left and I'm in the SB looking at QQ. Christy is on the button and raises all in. He's done similar things for a while now with Ax and I really thought that my QQ was good so I called and he had ATs. The flop was raggy but the turn brought a T and then on the river out comes another T.

Sh1t.

I was really happy with my shortstack play, but it's never gonna win tournaments, and I just could not get anything in a position to steal most of the night......

Bring on Saturday.

Well done Lenny and hard luck Doc Farrell, ionapaul, pokertroll, BrendanB and RoryC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Hey Dragon

You were very unlucky not to make the money last night. I had high hopes of us two battling it out on the final table! You caught a terrible beat with the QQ and I just made a (bad?) move with 66. I lost most of my stack (20000) with AK against QQ and didnt have much of a chance after that. I really thought we would both make the money, but it just wasnt to be.

ah well see you saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I dealt one of the most bizzare hand I've ever seen last night.

Brendan goes all in for about 5k, Pat goes over the top all-in and gets called by another player. Brendan's got cowboys, Pat has the boots and the other player has the boots. I do a double-take and remember that I'm susposed to deal the flop now, Brendan obviously having outs by being the only player who can now get trips. No king arrives and I spend far too long splitting the pots as my brain tries to work out how unlikely that hand was.

Still, makes a good exit story:

"How did you go out?"

"My Kings were beaten by the boots, twice"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hard luck Big D - I also thought the craic was fairly good last night, excepting when Derry and the regular who knocked me out (slicked back hair, suit, moustache) had a bit of an altercation. I can't wait for Saturday, really really up for it. No-one seemed interested in a quick stop at the pub before last night, so I won't even suggest it this time...rejection can be so cruel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

God craic last night till the last hour big d. But what was with that run of cards, not even worth limping with, never mind trying to steal blnds.
    I had the worst seat constantly getting bumped and pushed, difficult to concentrate. then had to listen to a couple of professional whingers. thank god for mp3 players.
    Your run from 1100 to 20,000 should have been enough to start kicking ass but runner runner...what can you do.
    BTW I almost knocked Mick McCLoskey out before the break when I called his bets with just ace high and it held. He was pissed for about an hour.
    I am annoyed with myself for not playing many hands in the last hour and having to listen to Harney and others, I still have a headache. But what can you do, sometimes the cards just dry up on you.
    Good luck to all on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

Cracking game, tons of play - I just wish I'd found a slightly easier table. When you find yourself between Collette Doherty, Willow and Scotty Grey you don't see many free flops.

The hand that amp mentions was a little different: blinds were 500-1000, UTG (chip leader) makes it 3K, I'm all in for 7K, Pat Vickers moves in the big blind and UTG calls both with Aces. Lesson in position I guess, if me and Pat had the same hands in opposite seats I could have gotten away from them.

One weird hand to prove that not everyone was that good: blinds 150-300 I've about 4.5K, reasonably tight image so I raise up to 1K UTG with AJ (usually best place for it is in the muck, but BB was ultra-tight and I figured I'd get through). Everyone folds except the SB. Board is 10 8 5, and he bets 500 into the pot. Bit of thought suggests he has none of it, so I push over the top all in. He calls off for his entire stack (just less than me) with, wait for it, AJ. Now either that's the greatest read a player has ever made or, I dunno, someone explain it to me.

As has been mentioned, bring on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I'd say you were lucky to split the pot and still be in the tourney.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Culchie wrote:
    I'd say you were lucky to split the pot and still be in the tourney.

Why, he's made a good read and followed up on it. The guy that calls has called off his whole stack with AJ after someone UTG has made it over 3 times the BB preflop. The call is a little odd. I don't know what the other guy is expecting Brendan to turn over that he's ahead of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Amp! boots? aint heard that one B4 i guessing 3's or J's?

Boots? ?:|
    anyone?

biteme wrote:
    Why, he's made a good read and followed up on it. The guy that calls has called off his whole stack with AJ after someone UTG has made it over 3 times the BB preflop. The call is a little odd. I don't know what the other guy is expecting Brendan to turn over that he's ahead of.

OK, here's my read on it.

Brendan said himself BB was ultra tight, but he called his UTG 3*BB raise, so the other guy has a hand.

So high pair, AK, AQ maybe? ...
    Brendan missed flop.. so did the BB figure UTG missed flop as well, I say he did, otherwise why the raise from UTG?

Not saying good call by BB, but am saying bad All-in from Brendan, when he could easily have run into AQ, AK or any high pair..... the info was there to say the BB had a hand.

Culchie wrote:

Brendan said himself UTG was ultra tight, but he called his 3*BB raise, so the other guy has a hand.

Brendan missed flop.. so did the BB figure UTG missed flop as well, I say he did, otherwise why the raise from UTG?

Not saying good call by BB, but am saying bad All-in from Brendan, when he could easily have run into AQ, AK or any high pair..... the info was there to say the BB had a hand.

Go back and read his post before you reply.

• Advertisement

Amp! boots? aint heard that one B4 i guessing 3's or J's?

Boots? ?:|
    anyone?

boots == aces
    thought everyone knew that

edited.... now still stand by it.

Brendan said himself BB was ultra tight, but he called his UTG 3*BB raise, so the other guy has a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

BrendanB wrote:
    I've about 4.5K, reasonably tight image
    Can you explain 'reasonably' please, i don't understand? ;)

Culchie wrote:
    edited.... now still stand by it.

i wonder have you noticed that it was the SB and not the BB that called him. But if you think when you get reraised by the utg preflop raiser that your ahead with AJ on that board. Please by all means keep calling off your tank. But can I be the Guy utg too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Excellent play by Brendan with the AJ. It's quite common to have a go against a pre-flop raiser with a crappy board and Brendan correctly read this to be the case. The all-in call was quite simply appalling.

biteme wrote:
    i wonder have you noticed that it was the SB and not the BB that called him.

Sorry misread... thought it was the ultra tight BB that called

biteme wrote:
    But if you think when you get reraised by the utg preflop raiser that your ahead with AJ on that board.

How would the Ultra tight player play AA or KK with that board ... wouldn't he lead in with a bet to trap?
    biteme wrote:
    Please by all means keep calling off your tank.

I already stated bad call by the other fellah, but I think it was a bad all-in move by Brendan (remember I was basing my answer on Ultra Tight player)

P.S ... Why the attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Culchie

After the flop the 500 raise by the SB was asking Brendan the question about his hand. Brendan gives him an answer with an all-in. You have to see that as a big hand combined with the preflop UTG raise by Brendan. If you don't and call with AJ with that board then you are either a Mike Caro-like tells genius and should win every tournamnet you play or you're a gimp!

My vote - He was a GIMP.

BigDragon wrote:
    Culchie

After the flop the 500 raise by the SB was asking Brendan the question about his hand. Brendan gives him an answer with an all-in. You have to see that as a big hand combined with the preflop UTG raise by Brendan. If you don't and call with AJ with that board then you are either a Mike Caro-like tells genius and should win every tournamnet you play or you're a gimp!

My vote - He was a GIMP.

OK Big Dragon,

For the 3rd time, I'll say it was a terrible call by yerman.

The point has been lost because I misread the SB / BB .

However if this fellah had AA or KK or QQ (again I was basing this on the ultra tight BB info) .. he would have played it the same way, and Brendan walked straight into it with nothing. The 'ask a question' bet could so easily have been a trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I see your point, but what is being discussed is the villian's terrible play, not Brendan's play - which, even if he had walked into a trap, would not rank as bad play IMHO. What did the villian think Brendan had - A9 (or worse kicker)? KQ? He was behind most conceivable pocket cards and was covered.

ionapaul wrote:
    I see your point, but what is being discussed is the villian's terrible play, not Brendan's play - which, even if he had walked into a trap, would not rank as bad play IMHO. What did the villian think Brendan had - A9 (or worse kicker)? KQ? He was behind most conceivable pocket cards and was covered.

Thanks Iona, my point was based on the ultra tight player (where i was wrong in thinking was the person who called).
    It was on this basis that I thought Brendans play could be called into question ... and without doubt Villian made a stupid call.

• Advertisement

It's a fair point Culchie, but my thinking on this is that in a tournament that strong absolutely every pot counts. If you are heads up with someone in a pot that big relative to stacks and you think you are a strong favourite if you push in then you simply have to do it. If you don't trust your reads then there's no point playing.

Can you explain 'reasonably' please, i don't understand?

I play a little looser in the boards game :)

BrendanB wrote:
    It's a fair point Culchie, but my thinking on this is that in a tournament that strong absolutely every pot counts. If you are heads up with someone in a pot that big relative to stacks and you think you are a strong favourite if you push in then you simply have to do it. If you don't trust your reads then there's no point playing.

Sound, I read your post wrong in the first place, and made a balls of this thread anyway.

My answer was about the the ultra tight rock in the BB (in my head), and had it been me, i would have been more cautious, as I would have had him on a strong hand. Whether he was 'asking a question' or laying a trap... well it's a 'had to be there, on location, situation' call that you have to sitting down at the table to guage.

But I got the wrong guy :rolleyes:

No offence meant.

Advertisement