Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipcop and VPN connection

Options
  • 29-04-2005 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I am behind an ipcop box and would and am trying to access a vpn.
    Ipcop ver: 1.4.4

My Side
    --dsl---modem---ipcop red--- ipcop green---greenZoneRouter---aPc

Internal ip info
    Modem ip: 192.168.0.1
    ipcop red ip: 192.168.0.2
    ipcop green ip: 192.168.1.1
    greenZoneRouter: 192.168.1.2 //vpn traffic allowed
    aPc: 192.168.1.3

I connected from another location to the vpn and it gave me an ip in the 192.168.1.x range.

I am completly new to all this as you may have guessed! I have tried entering what I thought were the correct details into ipcop but I've had no success.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

It is likely that your problem is related to your double-NAT setup i.e your connection attempt has to traverse two private networks (192.168.1.x and 192.168.0.x) before getting to the internet. Before we get into that, though, could you explain what the "greenZoneRouter" is? You should just have a plain hub or switch between the IPCop green interface and the PC.

While we're waiting for that, here's the ideal solution whoch nay or may not be possible, depending on the make and model of your DSL modem. The IPCop red interface should get your public IP address, and this can be done if your DSL modem can be set up in bridge mode. Check your manual to see if this can be done, or post the modem details here and I'll have a look. Assuming bridge mode is available, you will then use IPCop's PPPoE client to negotiate the connection.

If you don't have bridge mode, you're stuck with double-NAT. You may still be able to connect, but in this case, it would depend on your VPN setup, and it would probably be a good idea to talk to whoever runs the VPN.

Let me know about that greenZoneRouter - I'm fascinated......... ;)

Advertisement