Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats in Dublin

• 29-04-2005 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Have a rat in my garden - council have been out and put down poison. Neighbour had only dropped in a note to all on the terrace to warn us that she'd seen one too .. and sure enough, there the lil bugger was, chewing the cud (a tuft of grass) down near my shed. I had one last summer as well, after a barbecue, council man said he'd got the smell of the grease. Anyway, once I had 'come out' to friends about my furry friend, the stories started to emerge. Now I had heard that you're never but a few feet from a rat in this town ... but they're taking over! :o Any theories ??

a) The bin rates ... people dumping their rubbish where they can for free ..
    b) all the building that's going on (although there's none near me at the mo ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

how about buying a cat? a big one! or if the rat is too big.......2 cats! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

solution to rat = Get a big barrel (wheelie bin size would be perfect) fill it half way with water, get a long lat about 2 or 3 inches wide and lun it from the top of the barrel to the ground and dap meat or something that will smell along it to draw him up, then get another board and balance it out along towards the middle of the barrel and place some bait on it like a sausage or something, mr rat will walk up the lat and onto the other board out half way and the board and rat will then fall into barrel and get drowned :D
    Perfect solution and it will test the rats swimming before he drowns.

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

i see the little sh8ts almost every morning when waiting on the dart ( first dart) in Glenageary dart station crossing the track.
    Normally light up a smoke and flick it at them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

had them in my back garden in ballybough as they came up from the river. dont leave out any rubbish and get a cat or a dog. its possible that there is a new nest near where u live. dublins full of them, the sh!tty city...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

Thanks for your replies ... and netwhizkid, interesting, very interesting ... think I'll leave it to the professionals tho ... could borrow the family cat but at 14 he does nothing but sleep ... will let ye know when they get the b .. cheers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Don't worry golfgirl,help is at hand.
    Several years ago, Pighead had a huge rat problem. They were everywhere and seemed to pop up overnight. They ended up getting in his silky hair down his tight undies and even up his hairy nostrils.(yeah i've got big nostrils,big deal)
    Someone told the Pig to sprinkle instant grits on the rats.
    The rats eat the dry grits and when they drink, the grits swell up in their stomach and literally explode them.
    But as nobody tells the pig what to do he ignored this inhumane advice(or inrodentane advice depending on how pedantic you are)
    The Pig uses the method affectionately known as Horrific Chalk Death.
    Heres what to do
    Find out where the little rascals are congregated and draw a chalkline around the area(as small an area as possible).
    For some reason the ratsies won't pass the chalk line(obviously i know why they wont but its a bit too technical to get into).Now grab a chair and watch the little b-rats start to panic as they realise there trapped and they have no source of food or water.
    After about the 3rd day things really hot up and the rats are visibly skinnier and obvious signs of dementia set in(foamy mouths everywhere).
    Day 5 and all hell breaks loose,brothers start to eat their sisters sisters eat their grannys and mommy eats daddy.The lads have totally lost it and literally eat anything that moves.
    Day 7 and theres usually a horrfic sight of mangled bodies and rotting carcasses with one lone warrior proudly standing tall(although he'll die pretty quickly due to lack of fluid)
    To summarise Chalk is the answer to all your rat problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've a West Highland terrier. Her name is Holly.
    http://www.angelfire.com/goth2/the_syco/holly.jpg

She see's a rat/cat/big bird (she ignores the small ones)/shadow, she wants to kill it. We put bricks over where she digs, as thats where there are rats. Great doggy smile.gif

Also very cute, and easy to look after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

the_syco, image is not appearing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

That works on ants too I hear, Pighead. Also, the rats near and under the Guinness brewery are supposed to be massive. Well fed around the brewery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I heard a dubious unverified statistic that stated that there were more rats in Dublin than there were Dubliners.

If they could only pay taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

More suited here, methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Nightwish wrote:
    dublins full of them, the sh!tty city...

I doubt there is a single European city that doesn't have a rat problem. You will never get rid of them just keep them in check.

The waste charges problem means more waste kept close to homes but if the bin are kept closed it's not a problem. So It could be a possible cause but won't be if people keep their own rubbish in check.

Construction disturbs rats and normally causes many people to see them. It could explain the increase in sightings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

WizZard wrote:
    the_syco, image is not appearing!
    Found a newer one:
    Holly.jpg

Advertisement