Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB still 512/128...eircoms fault?

• 29-04-2005 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Having been trying to sort out this problem for 2 weeks..I have just been informed by BT broadband Sales Dept that Eircoms lines are too bad in my area to support 2mb broadband which is what I am paying for.Is there anyone else in D15 with a similar problem?? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

possibly . but if u can find a eircom employee repairing somthn around the aera ask him he would know .atm im connected at just under 1 meg but im told by the eircom employee's that my exchange is 2 miles away from my house and that i should be getting the full 2 megs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Do you know of anyone else in your area that has Broadband, if so ask them about whether they have or havent been upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

sorry if this has been covered already but do they tell you when it's been upgraded? I haven't noticed any difference in mine at all!!!zfan what did you test your speeds with? I'm in Dublin 9 btw..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You can test your speed here: http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

You know what i am so glad to see this thread!!
    Someone else who sounds about as annoyed as i am right now...i have been trying to sort out a relocation problem with BT for 9 weeks now and about 7 days ago they solved it...better late than never....however now i have spent those 7 days haggling over why we only have a 1meg line and not a 2meg one. (i am on plus btw) I have been onto a manager in ESAT who was meant to be sorting this out and was told today that it would be done. I have just got home to find out it hasnt. Big suprise.

The whole system is a joke - customer support is a joke - i am fed up of the whole thing and tbh broadband in this country is a joke. Why is it so difficult to get good service? Are these people not trained? Have ESAT really got a 2 meg service or not because i have yet to find one person who has it and got it immediately without having to complain they didnt have it!

I feel i spend my life running in circles with ESAT and half of it spent on hold or waiting on a callback to speak to someone who tells me what i dont want rather than what i have asked for - its just hilarious. As of Tuesday im cancelling the whole lot unless they actually do what they have promised and sort it out... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You can test your speed here: http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/
    Thanks Ciaran. I'm getting 1.72mbps download and 103kbps upload...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

I'm in Swords, on Broadband Plus and still only getting 512/128. I've been ringing and emailing Esat for the last three weeks and they just keep sending me from customer care to tech support and back again with no joy...!

Maybe it's time to hit them where it hurts....... their coffers. If everyone with the same problem requested to be put onto the standard package and request that they do so from the 4th of April as we have never had an increase in speed. Just then maybe when they see the increase in their work load for less income will they take notice..!
    Than again maybe they won't give a f**K.....!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

My modem always in the past (2 years) synced at 1024/128 but now it has dropped to 512/128.

I'm with netsource on the Dolphins Barn exchange.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zfan wrote:
    Having been trying to sort out this problem for 2 weeks..I have just been informed by BT broadband Sales Dept that Eircoms lines are too bad in my area to support 2mb broadband which is what I am paying for.Is there anyone else in D15 with a similar problem?? Thanks

In fairness it can happen that your line just won't take 2MB, its nothing specific to Ireland & Eircom,

It happens all the time in the UK that that max people can get is 512K or 1MB due to their line being a long line or being of bad line quality, I would say that BT should lower your price for obvious reason but other then that sh*t happens.

An example of what users see in the UK see:
    Our initial test on your line indicates that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed. However, due to the length of your line, an engineer visit may be required, who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

I found out what the problem I was having with my ADSL modem syncing at a lower speed...........

Someone else in the house re-aranged the phone wires........

When I put them back correctly it works...........

Willie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement