Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor state of D01

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

so why did we not get a exam in AGD this easter, the reason given to us that we would no longer be doing easter exams as a result of the change and we ain't in first year!

While the semesterisation will onlt affect incoming first years, the whole college will run to the semesterised time - table.

Im not a multi-media student and can't comment on the rooms in the D corridor (I'm never over there), I can say that I feel your pain.

I'm an engineering student, and use AutoCAD a lot. In the IT building there are two rooms on the top floor with this software. C11 also has it, but the majority of the mice don't have scroll wheels (try using AutoCAD without one), and those that do won't allow me to use my memory key with them.

There is also a room over in the AT building on the ground floor where the PCs have AutoCAD. They are the pcs that came out of d25 last year when they were cleaning out the D corridor. Again, no fecking scroll wheels on most of the mice. Though at least my memory key works with the computers there.

[/rant]

edit: and you give out about a computer room for 3 people, how about one for just me......thats right, just me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

in 99 the college were threatened with legal action by the 3rd year multimedia students with regard to lack of facilities and lecturers. Glad to see things have improved so much since then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

yeah things are so much better now MrShadow!
    So what happened with the legal action threats? did the college just give a load of empty promises or somthing about improvements?

As for the mice issue, most of the computers in the IT building are using optical mice now so the crime spree of robbing balls will surely be a thing of the past once the rest of the computers are upgrade, in 2017!

As for the mice issue, most of the computers in the IT building are using optical mice now so the crime spree of robbing balls will surely be a thing of the past once the rest of the computers are upgrade, in 2017!

I assume you mean me giving out about the mice.......I dont care wether they are optical or not, I just want a mouse with a scroll wheel :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

mike65 wrote:
    may I suggest writing/e-mailing/ the editors of Waterford Today, Munster Express and News and Star. Oh and Billy McCarthy on WLR FM

Email has been sent in to Billy McCarthy.

• Advertisement

The legal action was for the college not having lecturer for a couple of subjects. Threatened them with not providing the course they were contracted to. finally got sorted just after christmas of that year. was a bit of a farce.

angry_fox wrote:
    Email has been sent in to Billy McCarthy.

Can I suggest you send it to the guy who does Beat talk as well......cant remember his name, but it will be on the BeatFM website.

bp_me wrote:
    Can I suggest you send it to the guy who does Beat talk as well......cant remember his name, but it will be on the BeatFM website.
    Will Power isn't it or something?

Will Power isn't it or something?

There's a Niall Power, but I don't listen to the radio enough to be sure if its him or not.

Got a reply back from deise am. They want me to go on air..... To be honest, ill be useless if i go on air about the subject. U want to on Rollo or will i tell the class rep bout it?

• Advertisement

Ger's the man for that! say it to him tomorrow dude!
    I'd say it to a lecturer before hand to thou

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I assume a written complaint has been forwarded to the proper people in the college before u esclated it to the media?

We have not sent a wriiten complaint in. Mainly because it would probly be thrown straight into the bin. We have been promised so much, but nothing has happend. We were even promised a DVD burner, but that never happend. We have two CD Burners in the D01 and they burn at speed x4. Lectures have got on to the college about the place but nothing has been done.

If a letter was not sent into the college authorities and i go (or class rep) and bitch bout the place, they can say they were not informed. (Tanx Cabaal)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

isnt it their own responsibility to make sure the facilities are in order?

isnt it their own responsibility to make sure the facilities are in order?

They dont use the facilities so its your responsibility to inform them of probslems.

Put it in writting to head of the course, head of the school and the registrar.

If its in writting it has to be at least filled they cannt just bin it (esp if its CC'd to a few people)

i'd have to agree with Rew, its a bit nasty if you go behing the college's back and bitch about them and not give them the oppurtunity to explain/give reason or defend themselves against your complaints. Also could you imagine if you appeared on the radio and the next thing the presenter springs a surprise guest(Rikki Lake stlye, ding dong!! there is someone at the door!!! OH My Gosh!!), and its the Head of Science and he hits you with a load of facts and figures about developments and upgrades!! Egg on your Face then Bud!"!

Best to let them know so we are fully aware of the facts, me thinks

I no Rollo, U sign the petition in the D01. Its been carried out by an undeground movement called the D01 Supporters Group. Ill talk to Ger and maybe go to dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

hahaha brilliant thread!!

for the first 2 years of IT/Comp Apps we had just about every class in D05, couldnt get over that this was the best a college had to offer computing students!!

yeah the leak in the roof is still there, im stealing the bucket when I graduate, just for the memories!! maybe 5 mouseballs left intact in the whole room, just an absolute shambles!!

Only used D01 once and couldnt get much to work, i feel for ye multimedia guys!!

And the situation with stupid classes taking up IT building rooms for f*****g word processing is disgraceful... Only lecturer sound enough to let ya into a room with them on is Dominic Kirby, legend of a man!!

D05 has been cleared out. All the pcs and buckets are gone.

• Advertisement

If you are doing a computer course in WIT the only solution is to have a computer of your own at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

just checked... dammit your right, they were wise to my plan...
    i'll find you bucket... i'll find you...

MrShadow wrote:
    If you are doing a computer course in WIT the only solution is to have a computer of your own at home.

Well to be honest I think any serious computer student needs a laptop or at least a PC at this stage. They were considering making it a requirement of the course but the financial burden was a too much.

MrShadow wrote:

It reflects badly on the college if students have to do this. To geta decent multimedia machine, students will have to pay about €1200 (Thats if they build the machine themselves). Students then have to get pirate software so they can do dere projects at home. The college should be able to provide us with the proper facilities, since they want Uni status.

you hardly expect the college to provide every student with software do you angry_fox??
    They find it hard enough to fill the printers with paper these days. Being a student is a tough job! Especially if like me you get no grant and have to work 20-25 hours a week to get by. Lets face it, if i wasn't a student i still would be using pirate software because who can afford 5000E of Adobe/Macromedia/Microsoft software? Who? Who i ask?

I have a good PC at home but i think i'll be getting a new laptop in the summer due to the poor state of affairs regards computers in the college. Thats around a 1000E of my money that i will have to fork out because no one is getting of their fat arses to fix minor problems such as RAM / dodgy ethernet cables / busted mouse / virus definitions even the chairs dont work properly!! I could really use the money for a laptop to finance myself in college far better. Its time the college did something productive and listen!!

I purpose a revolt, but first lets set up a Society. Lets see, can we call it "We the students who can learn a lot of things about stuff but are been prohibeted by a lack of facilities Society" or the WTSWCLALOTASBABPBALOF Society for short. Who's with me??

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

ill definately join! what do i get?

ill definately join! what do i get?
    first seven thousand members get a free badge, i'm nearly finished drawing the 3rd badge right now .I should be really using Agobe PhotoScoping CS for this, since i'm an expert at computers

opps i made a fraudin slip there, thats when you think of one word instead of your mother!!

I should have said Adobe Photoshop CS, my mistake!

you hardly expect the college to provide every student with software do you angry_fox??
    They find it hard enough to fill the printers with paper these days. Being a student is a tough job! Especially if like me you get no grant and have to work 20-25 hours a week to get by. Lets face it, if i wasn't a student i still would be using pirate software because who can afford 5000E of Adobe/Macromedia/Microsoft software? Who? Who i ask?

I have a good PC at home but i think i'll be getting a new laptop in the summer due to the poor state of affairs regards computers in the college. Thats around a 1000E of my money that i will have to fork out because no one is getting of their fat arses to fix minor problems such as RAM / dodgy ethernet cables / busted mouse / virus definitions even the chairs dont work properly!! I could really use the money for a laptop to finance myself in college far better. Its time the college did something productive and listen!!

I purpose a revolt, but first lets set up a Society. Lets see, can we call it "We the students who can learn a lot of things about stuff but are been prohibeted by a lack of facilities Society" or the WTSWCLALOTASBABPBALOF Society for short. Who's with me??

Course i dont.

The WTSWCLALOTASBABPBALOF Society sounds like a good idea. When is the first meeting going to be held??

LOL about you working. U get paid for playing Enemy Territory??

• Advertisement

Ok lets see, the WTSWCLALOTASBABPBALOF Society seems to be a popular movement. thus far!!! Firstly we need to build a camp, i purpose we take a bus to the countryside, somewhere where the air is hot and the sheep are unexpecting and innocent. Tramore!!. Angry_Fox can provide the blahs and Legend_killer the jam, Rew you can bring some lubricant(i recommend oil based lubricants cuz they dont burn any old rashes or scars). Finally i'll bring some cryons and toliet paper to take the minutes of this meeting and wipe up any spilt lubricant or undesirable fluids.

Ok lets get back to the details about the camp. We can either go for a tree based camp or a cave based camp. Personally i prefer trees as leafs are green and caves are grey and full of crabs. This tree house camp will be the bi-weekly love nest where we meet and discuss issues relating to the "We the students who can learn a lot of things about stuff but are been prohibeted by a lack of facilities Society". Lets say every Tuesday after the dodgy foreign movie that is broadcasted on Channel 4.

The first topic of discussin will be "getting the balls back in the ball based mouse and not the optical mouse because they are optical mices and dont have any balls" discussion. Also i will have at least 8 WTSWCLALOTASBABPBALOF Society badges ready so get em while they are hot and the ink is still wet.

Ohh yeah wet, wet like a wet fox swimmin in water. Wet.

Any way thats about it for now.
    Visit us at www.WTSWCLALOTASBABPBALOF.org for any issues that you would like to add for discussion.

Rollo

Advertisement