Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor state of D01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

€1200 is a bit steep.
    case = 70
    motherboard = 100
    ram = 100
    cpu = 150
    hardrive = 100
    graphics = 100
    dvd rw = 60
    monitor = 100
    mouse = 10
    kb = 15
    speakers = 25

= €830 for a amd 64 3000+, 1gig ram, 17"monitor
    pirate the software. companies like micorsoft dont crack down on piracy by students cause if they did they would all use linux or other open source apps instead.

alot less than the 1000 punts that it cost when i got mine, a p2 333

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

MrShadow wrote:
    €1200 is a bit steep.
    case = 70
    motherboard = 100
    ram = 100
    cpu = 150
    hardrive = 100
    graphics = 100
    dvd rw = 60
    monitor = 100
    mouse = 10
    kb = 15
    speakers = 25

= €830 for a amd 64 3000+, 1gig ram, 17"monitor

Your pretty band on there with a good multimedia spec PC Mr.Shadow I paid around 800euro for my PC with a 19"CRT. Angry_Fox is a bit crazy into his graphics cards! He would rant on for ages about 256mb Graphics Cards. So its understandable how he see's 1200euro as a valid price for a multimedia PC/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Shadow where you getting these prices from komplett?
    Was thing about getting a laptop over the summer. You recommend any?
    Was looking at this apple or maybe this dell.
    The reason im looking at the Powerbook G4 is because ive no experience using one. In multimedia alot of designers use Quark Express, and ive no experience using this software and a lot of jobs going today require you to have experience with Quark Express. I belive it is available for the pc but im not to sure about it.

go with the apple if you have plenty of money. cause you will have lots more trouble getting software for it.

google quark express for the pc and see what comes up.

why go for a laptop? to get the same sort of spec in a laptop your talking about twice the price. and even then the hd's in laptops are still only 5400revs compared to desktops 7200revs.

prices for items were based on komplett with a bit of rounding done.

with laptops i personally like toshiba never any bother with em. used my laptop 24 7 for 6 months as the gateway for broadband in the flat i was in. battery is fecked now but the rest is working fine.

Shadow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You can get 7200 RPM drives for laptops no problem. They are expensive and suck power though.

Aldi are doing a savagly good laptop for €1500.

Intel® CentrinoTM Mobile Technology Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 Processor speed 1.73GHz

* 533MHz FrontSideBus
    * 2MB L2 cache
    * 90nm
    * Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2915ABG
    * Intel® Chipset 915PM

nVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 6600 with 128MB DDR3 PCI-Express

nVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 6600 is the superior notebook GPU with hardware acceleration for Microsoft DirectX 9.0. Shader Model 3.0, powering higher performance and extraordinary visual effects on today's hottest games.

15.4" WXGA Display 16:10 Widescreen

Resolution up to 1280 x 800 pixels

Multi Format DVD Burner 8xDVD±R/RW Double Layer^

For watching and burning DVDs/CDs. Write speed: 8xDVD+R/8xDVD-R/ 4xDVD+RW/4xDVD-RW/5xDVD-RAM/2, 4xDVD+R DL/24xCD-R/10xCD-RW, Read speed: 8xDVD/24xCD.

1024 MB DDR 2 RAM 533MHz

Fastest laptop memory currently available on the market. Up to 30% faster than DDR 1-400, 2 sockets.

Fast 100GB Hard Disk Drive

With 5,400rpm. Made by Seagate.

Digital TV Tuner***

Discover the new digital television of the future with first class image and sound quality. Future proof.

Analogue Stereo TV

Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card. Watch and record TV on your laptop! With Power Cinema and the built-in analogue/digital stereo TV and FM tuner, you can watch and record TV programs right on your laptop! The included IR remote control works with the TV, DVD, CD, radio and digital photo functions of the Power Cinema software.

Intel®PRO/Wireless LAN 2915ABG

The notebook can be linked to a wireless LAN network or in an ad hoc mode, with another wireless LAN compatible notebook. Integrated wireless LAN enables this notebook to be linked to a wireless network i.e. hotspots.

5 in 1 Card Reader

Supports Memory Stick, Smart Media Card, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital and XD Card.

Soundsystem

High definition audio system, SB-Pro-compatible +AC 97 CODEC, 2 internal speakers, internal microphone.

Bluetooth Mini USB Adaptor Class 1

Up to 100m indoor and outdoor.

High Speed Interfaces

4 x USB 2.0, 1 x Firewire IEEE1394.

Audio & Video Interfaces

Analog and digital audio-out, Mic-In, VGA-Out, TV-Out (S-Video).

1x PCMCIA Type II Card Bus supported Modem and LAN

56k V.90/V.92 modem and fast ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbit LAN (includes telephone cable).

Battery: Smart LI-ION Battery

8 cells, 4400mAh, Runtime: up to 4h. Charging time: approx. 2.5hr (power off)/ approx 3.5hr (power on).

Dimensions & Weight: 363(W) x 366(D) x 34.2(H)mm, approx 2.75kg.

Savage bit of machinery.
    Rollo is right, kinda go nuts about graphics cards. My plans for the summer are to get some RAM, Firewire Card, new Case and DVD burner. Probably get a new Sound card as well.
    If the college were to get new machines for D01, what machines would people like the college to buy.

alienware pc's would make good machines :)

Just imagine, walkin into D01 and the place full of Alienware PCs. Would be great. Problem with D01 is security, people are robbing everything from it. Flatscreens, headfones, power cables, network cableing just about anything that aint nailed down gets nicked.
    Ive heard of one guy who robbed a load of hubs and then set up his own little LAN at home.

sounds like a right crime wave

Lads, stay away from d01. Only 4 pcs working.

angry_fox wrote:
    D05 has been cleared out. All the pcs and buckets are gone.

It wont be an open access PC room anymore from Sept onwards...

What it going to be used for so?

The taught telecomms MSc will have sole use of it as I understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 daveffrench

Lads, stay away from d01. Only 4 pcs working.

Well the other day only one pc out of the whole room was working and when the person logged off it f*cked up and nobody else could log on. So that is out of 27 pcs, NONE working. Well im going to have fun for the next 2 years of multimedia in D01 :mad: . Us guys in first year wrote up a petition(like thats going to do any gud) but the new head of science is meant to be big in to the multimedia so fingers crossed maybe he might listen to us mere mortals. :)

he's probably big into computers also and science and maths and ... .. .. .. .. ..
    isn't he the new head of P&Q !

he's probably big into computers also and science and maths and ... .. .. .. .. ..
    isn't he the new head of P&Q !

Well according to colm he came from Tipperary where he was in charge of either the P&Q department or just multimedia but he set up a multimedia degree course there and supposibly done wonderful things for multimedia.

i wouldn't get your hopes up about multimedia degree's. You'll probably find out the boring way but once you finish 2nd year multimedia there isn't a lot more the lectures can teach you. If i had the chance again i'd probably transfer into the IT stream(which is what i'm doing next year anyway).

If i had the chance again i'd probably transfer into the IT stream.

Plz excuse my ignorance but "IT Stream"?

the IT course i meant to say, its not a stream, thats my mistake, opps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AC Slater

The worst thing about WIT is that, if there is a new degree coming in, they will only tell ye the day / week that you start back (if you decide to). Same happened us this year with the IT degree and Im guessin a few will be lookin towards that degree next year. know ye multimedia lads finished up today well done, just have one exam left in IT, then its gettin drunk for a week if not longer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AC Slater

The worst thing about WIT is that, if there is a new degree coming in, they will only tell ye the day / week that you start back (if you decide to). Same happened us this year with the IT degree and Im guessin a few will be lookin towards that degree next year. know ye multimedia lads finished up today well done, just have one exam left in IT, then its gettin drunk for a week if not longer :)
    They would seriously want to hire some new IT staff there if D04 and the rest of them rooms want pc's workin ... might apply soon