Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless USB 2.0 Point?

• 29-04-2005 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it's possble to buy equiptment that can make a wireless USB 2.0 point? I have lan and I use a wireless router, 54g I think....I want to put my pc in one room of the house but keep such things as scanner,printer,digital cam etc in a different room. Anyone got any idea how I might do this?Don't want to use a second pc as an access point if at all posssible.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dunno. Bluetooth is, in effect, wireless USB, but I haven't heard of anything that can convert it back to a wired presentation. Range might also be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

For printing you need a wireless print server (some APs come with it built-in but its an added expense). Either way I don't know of any USB ones off-hand.

Other option is an ethernet printer connected to a WAP / ethernet bridge ... but they're even more expensive :)

As for the other peripherals ... basically I've never heard of a USB AP. Thats not to say they don't exist. Sounds like an old, quiet USB-capable PC or laptop would be your best bet, and connect everything to that (with USB hub where necessary).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I've not heard of a USB Ap either. As mentioned above, your best bet would be to put an old pc (one with the ports you need obviously) in the room with your printer and scanner etc, then link the to your LAN with with cat5 or you could plug a wireless card into the old pc and do it wirelessly....

Apologies that I can't be of any more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

just bought and configured one for a dell 962 printer

Wireless Printer Adaptor 3300

only one usb port though!

rebadged lexmark close to this http://www.lexmark.com/uncomplicate/product/home/2/0,7044,204816596_248790254_338225218_en_0_1,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Thanks lads,
    Looks like I'll have to network it through an old PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

USB 3 is on the way. Basically wirless version of usb 2, so faster then bluetooth and WIFI but limited to about 10meter range. Not out till next year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

There's a company who have just launched a wireless USB hub in the states - I will do some googling and see if I can find it again.
    Apart from that the only periferals that work wirelessly well are printers with a Wireless or Bluetooth printer server attached to them.

EDIT :

This isnt what I had in mind but its an indication of whats coming in the future.

Will keep googling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭thecivvie

dwaned wrote:
    Does anyone know if it's possble to buy equiptment that can make a wireless USB 2.0 point? I have lan and I use a wireless router, 54g I think....I want to put my pc in one room of the house but keep such things as scanner,printer,digital cam etc in a different room. Anyone got any idea how I might do this?Don't want to use a second pc as an access point if at all posssible.

Maplins have a solution for you. It is a wireless USB point. One end sticks in the PC the other into the printer etc. try this link to the item for info

Join Ireland Weather Network

tcob1 wrote:
    Maplins have a solution for you. It is a wireless USB point. One end sticks in the PC the other into the printer etc.

That will only work for a Printer though - not for a scanner or digital camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭thecivvie

That will only work for a Printer though - not for a scanner or digital camera.

I would imagine that it may, I am going to try one anyway for my Stereo as it has a USB link

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement

tcob1 wrote:
    I would imagine that it may, I am going to try one anyway for my Stereo as it has a USB link
    99.9% guaranteed to fail.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

100% going to fail ;)

You can get wireless devices to share printers, scanners and mass storae devices but some of it is product specfic (HP generally). Dont know why you would keep a scanner, printer or digi cam in another room any way u have to be at the PC to use them ;)

Rew wrote:
    100% going to fail ;)

You can get wireless devices to share printers, scanners and mass storae devices but some of it is product specfic (HP generally). Dont know why you would keep a scanner, printer or digi cam in another room any way u have to be at the PC to use them ;)
    Well my mate has a printer/scanner/copier/fax yoke - that he wants to share between PC's without both PC's having to be switched on.

(the .1% was to prevent anyone proving me wrong ;) )

Advertisement