Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitch Hiker's Film!

Options
  • 29-04-2005 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Ok, I figure it's alright to start it its own topic, seeing as HHGttG is (or was) a defining part of CTYI.

So yeah, I ditched last two classes of school to go to an early showing, and was definitely not disappointed. I mean, they pretty much waved goodbye to the plot of the book after the first fifteen minutes, but still. Much better than I was expecting.

And I'm highly pissed that I didn't stay for the credits... Was the extra Guide entry funny/hillarious/crap?

Opinions (preferably more interesting ones than mine)?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I didn't like it one bit. Didn't hold up as a decent film at all. Marvin's and Slartibartfast's lines were the only thing really worth hearing. The mice were funny, as was to be expected. Some of the effects were nice (mainly the "factory floor"). But all in all rubbish. Acting was just dire. Mos Def used some dreaful accent for the whole film. I couldn't bear it. Zaphod's 2nd head and 3rd arm looked dire! Come on. The TV series did a better/more realistic job with the head and arm.

The story didn't go anywhere. It played up the love interest in the typical sickening Hollywood style. The side story with Malkovich went nowhere wasn't even a whole load of sense having it there.
    It's not a film, and I'm really sorry to say this, that I'll buy. I don't even want to watch it again I think.

I will however reread Dirk Gently and the HitchHiker's Guide itself. I'll watch the TV series again if I ever get my DVD back and I'll give the radio series a go (new and old).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

podge, you gotta remember that Adams was central in writing the screenplay for that, even all the new characters were his idea... Personally am going to see it tomorrow, not sure what i'm gonna think, but the trailers look good so far, guess that's their job... And remember, the 1st part of a 5-part trilogy isn't necessarily supposed to go anywhere quite yet... I agree, the head looks ridiculous, and the arm leaves a LOT to be desired...

I hope they're not intending doing more films, I really do.

I know Doughlas wrote stuff for it. How central he was in it I wouldn't be too sure. It's doesn't look/feel/smell like his work. I know he wrote Malkovich's part alright. I think it'd be quite different if he was around today doing it. I could be wrong but that's just a personal opinion. ... Even if he wrote the whole lot though it doesn't make it a good film.

Good news however. BBC are re-airing the whole lot of the TV series Tuesday evening from 23:something. I'll enjoy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I dunno, I really loved the books, so I guess that is always going to overshadow the film. But then I went with a friend who had never read the books and she loved it. For what it was it was good. I really didn't like what they did with Zaphod's second head though. Most of it was pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Starbabe

i guess if you never read the books it would be good. i'll go and see it and everything, but a film is never going to be as good as my own imagination. Someone elses interpretation or mine. Hmmm... should be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I have to agree that Zaphod's second head was Brutal. The John Malkovich character/side plot was complete bull**** as well, I did enjoy the film as a whole though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

*poke*

and i liked it

*double pokes* I win, infinity plus one and higher that you can ever be.

I loved the woollen version of Marvin, I want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Ahh yes, I wish I could vomit multicoloured wool like little puppet-Arthur... *has great ambition in life*

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

Woolen Marvin rocked. I want one, could probably knit it were I not lazy... Me and Liz made a much better Zaphod than the one in the film. :)

• Advertisement

That we did my friend. Funny thing was, even in our dressing gowns we weren't the strangest looking people on O' Connell street.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That was a great film, I thought. The one thing I liked was that it didn't reallly try to be a film made of the book. It was just another incarnation, same as the previous ones. Foubt there'll be any more though

I liked it, barring the extra storyline... Though I guess, ya know, one of those things - make it a bit longer etc... Glad they put the last entry in, about the wormhole, nice touch that... Sad was the fact that people in front of me in the cinema, before the Ads started had no idea about the film. One ACTUALLY said "Does the world blow up at the start of this or something!?" Muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

have the original sereis on vids, if anyone wants a lend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

Plunky wrote:
    Sad was the fact that people in front of me in the cinema, before the Ads started had no idea about the film. One ACTUALLY said "Does the world blow up at the start of this or something!?" Muppet.

that's a good point, they should make it a rule that you have to have read the book before you can go see it. :sarcasm:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

that's a good point, they should make it a rule that you have to have read the book before you can go see it. :rolleyes:

That would discriminate against the illerate ::))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

That's just a big pile of gay! People who haven't read the book could enjoy the film too. Maybe it wouldn't be as "meaningful" though.

I ALSO know someone who went to the premiere for free, and never read them, and didn't understand 42 when I said it to her... The girl I went to see it with suggested that people shouldn't be allowed go unless they can quote God's final message. I think that's a reasonable qualification...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

yes. a completely ridiculous one. how many film versions of books you haven't read have you seen and enjoyed?

foxybrowne wrote:
    have the original sereis on vids, if anyone wants a lend
    They're being shown on the BBC starting tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Raphael wrote:
    They're being shown on the BBC starting tuesday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/
    The Quandary and Quintessential Phases can be heard
    on Radio 4 at 6.30pm on Tuesdays from 3 May 2005

Most of the original radio cast have been reunited for the final series and they are joined by new stars including Stephen Fry, Griff Rhys Jones, Miriam Margolyes and Jane Horrocks.

seen
    BBC2 TV Tuesday 11:20 pm - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
    Oddly it doesn't seem to be being repeated on BBC3 or 4 this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

You can't say it's not true to Adam's ideas because he co-wrote the frickin' screenplay!!! I personally found it to be an enjoyable film and would urge all to see it. (You especially enjoy the Dolphins' song - view it at http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/games/dolphin.html - it's hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

i enjoyed it...
    i prefered the books, but i have to say i enjoyed it. it wasnt as funny as the books though...
    i dunno. i get the feeling if id seen it without reading the books i wouldve just been like "what the hell.." and had none of it, but cos the books have a special place in my heart i gave it every chance to impress me...

BBC2 TV Tuesday 11:20 pm - Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
    Oddly it doesn't seem to be being repeated on BBC3 or 4 this week.

It was listed, on entertainment.ie, as being a repeat already. I'm not sure if it was a mistake on their part or other. *shrugs*

It's also the first episode rather than the whole lot. I'm not sure I'll be awake for it. Given the current all nighter I'm apparently procrastinating from. *buggers off again*

And then Sony, in all their glory, created the video recording device. And henceforth there was rejoicing through the lands, for no more would people have to stay up till ungodly hours to watch old b-movies. No more would the people need to choose between "Eastenders" and "Corrie". No more would Pádraic have to worry about two all nighters in a row to enjoy the hitch hikers guide.

This is the word of the Raph

Amen

Well I've heard of these recording devices. Just about... But I don't want to record to a silly VHS. :) I'd prefer to wait to have my project finished. Stupid documentation being due in 11.5 hours. *sighs*

My project is a DVR/PVR (Digital/Personal Video Recorder), forgot to mention that. Tis slightly pertinent.

Wow, thats vaguely Ironic...I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually if sony invented the VCR, then i think you should double check you're not still using beta :P

s/Sony/JVC ^^;

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

i gonna see HitchHikers Guide tonite!!!! :D W007!

Advertisement