Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom Rollout Update

• 30-04-2005 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I spoke to smart telecom today to find out how this LLU farce with ErrorCom would affect Smart telecoms broadband rollout.
    When I first signed up I was told my broadband would be installed around may/june, I am on the cork central exchange (for any one thats interested).

They told me that the problem centers around Errorcom not allowing Smart telecom access to Errorcoms exchanges. Nothing new here.

But I was also told I could get broadband sooner from smart telecom if I changed my phone number.The need to change my phone number was that errorcom are also dragging their heels over porting your existing phone number to smart telecom.I told the guy I was prepared to change my phone number no problem(anything to get away from errorcom) and he said this would shorten the wait for Smart broadband, but if I didn't change the phone number I would have to wait for comreg and errorcom to battle it out in court. Even then errorcom could,but I hope not could come out on top.

I think errorcom are bloated and inefficient and are frightened of any newcomers to the market.This is why Ireland has the lowest uptake and highest price of broadband in the EU.
    Sorry for the long post but this really peed me off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

oh yeah, of course eircom is going to give them trouble, ST are their biggest rivals

I'm now interested if my number(given by eircom) is what not allows Smarts BB for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Hi,
    I told the guy I was prepared to change my phone number no problem(anything to get away from errorcom) and he said this would shorten the wait for Smart broadband, but if I didn't change the phone number

After applying back in February, I finally got to speak to someone in Smart yesterday. As I'm an eircom BB customer currently, I appreciate I need to give one months notice to terminate my contract, but what I wasn't expecting was that I'd have to wait at least 10 working days after my line was deactivated by eircom before Smart would then be in a position to hook me up. So they say anyway. This is with me willing to change my phone number.

I thought I'd read that there was going to be a smooth transition from one to the other? In other words, an hour or two or a day at most.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

After applying back in February, I finally got to speak to someone in Smart yesterday. As I'm an eircom BB customer currently, I appreciate I need to give one months notice to terminate my contract, but what I wasn't expecting was that I'd have to wait at least 10 working days after my line was deactivated by eircom before Smart would then be in a position to hook me up. So they say anyway. This is with me willing to change my phone number.

Certainly nothing strange about a 10 day delay for ceasing and re-enabling a line, similar restrictions apply to BT in the UK unless its a migration which takes about 7 days....it could be much worse, it could be 20* days :D

*In the UK it used to often take 25+ days to cease and renable a line for DSL (1 - 1.5 years back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 virtualpir8

Whats even more messed up is when ST(smart telecom not sanitary towels :eek: )do get into eircom exchanges, errorcom can dictate what services they will allow ST to provide to the end user. These are basic services like call waiting,voice mail etc. :mad:
    nothing but pure obstruction goin on here me thinks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Why don EirCON do the decent thing & make an effort to compete like everyone else in the market.? They advertise 4 times faster blah blah blah! but they dont tell you its €85 incl line rental (€50 dearer that Smart)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

It makes no sense that your current broadband has to be deactivated before moving to Samrt (other than to try to put you off moving), as the patch cable has to be physicaly moved. This will disconnect you from you current provider.

I have raised this issue with comreg, who can't do much untill the current court case is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

From reading Garfields previous posts, its possible but according to the LLU framework thingy ISP's aren't allowed just disconnect each others users until the current contract is finished. Sure Smart isn't happy about it, but atleast there is a framework for it.

It makes no sense that your current broadband has to be deactivated before moving to Samrt (other than to try to put you off moving), as the patch cable has to be physicaly moved. This will disconnect you from you current provider.

I have raised this issue with comreg, who can't do much untill the current court case is finished.
    It doesn't have to make sense , it's EirCON we 're talking about. I rekon the court case is just going trough the motions. EirCON are going to lose , its purly a case of them hanging onto customers & getting in as much money as possible befor this happens.. When their slapped on the wrist & told to do it there will be another increase in speed & maybe even a price drop.. EirCON do nothing untill they have to,, If Smart had not launched when they did do you think EirCON would have increased thier speeds?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

I have an Eircom phone line and currently availing of their 2 month free trial. I registered interest with SMART a few months ago and have heard absolutely nothing from them since (limerick exchange). I thought SMART would be available by the time the free trial with Eircom ended but alas no :(.

BTW anyone know if Smart broadband will feature the interleaving like Eircoms 19m/sec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ando

beller b wrote:
    Why don EirCON do the decent thing & make an effort to compete like everyone else in the market.?

why should they. They are a business afterall and want as much profit as possible, currently blocking ST is the best method

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There was a post somewhere else that pointed out smart would turn off interleaving (or turn it on) as the user required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

ando wrote:
    why should they. They are a business afterall and want as much profit as possible, currently blocking ST is the best method
    Not best for them long term... Just pissin everyone off will lose them more custom eventually!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I was one of the first to register with Smartcom etc and the person on the otehr end of teh phone was all nicities saying they would def contact me back and I would have BB from them in early April but fck me not one phonecall back from them, I am on the 2mb Eircom line niw that is really 1716 ;) and it is decent but 128 upload is shyte, very tempted by Esat business' 1mb/256 no cap BB as interleaving is off and far better for gamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Hi,

<snip>

But I was also told I could get broadband sooner from smart telecom if I changed my phone number.<snip>.

If you agreed to change your phone number did they imply that you would be connected in the May-June timeframe thats specified for Cork Central.
    I'm wondering since they are experiencing delays in Dublin, will those delays impact Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 virtualpir8

fisab, yes I was led to believe that if I changed my number ,it would make things a lot faster, starting to lose confidence in ST though.

beller b wrote:
    Not best for them long term... Just pissin everyone off will lose them more custom eventually!!

they are losing their customers anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can ye not just call them Eircom.. All these nicknames are getting a bit pathetic to be honest. Yes we know they are crap but come on...

lol yea, eircom is a new swear word in my dictionary, no need to modity it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Anyone know if you still have to change your phone number when you switch to Smart or has this been sorted?

• Advertisement

The Fool wrote:
    Anyone know if you still have to change your phone number when you switch to Smart or has this been sorted?
    YES you have to change number. NO it hasn't been sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

LIGHTNING wrote:
    Not fully correct!

Says he who then says this total incorrect statement:
    Smart Telecom are in some legal battle with Eircon at the moment so thats why we have to wait.

Way off the mark there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭opus

I sent an email to them yesterday just to ask if there were any updates on when it would be available in Cork, they said May/June when I signed up back in Feb. If I hear anything back (it will no doubt take a few days), I'll post it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Cork so far is still May/June (probably late june, going on current trends) for Wellington Road, Dennehys Cross, Churchfield, Quaker Road & Cork Central.

Ballincollig is July/August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

so, did Crown Alley come onstream today??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They told me that the problem centers around Errorcom not allowing Smart telecom access to Errorcoms exchanges. Nothing new here.

But I was also told I could get broadband sooner from smart telecom if I changed my phone number.
    These two don't mesh. If they were using one to excuse the other, they were lying. The number change is "required" for a completely different reason (woeful unbundling procedures).
    oh yeah, of course eircom is going to give them trouble, ST are their biggest rivals
    No, they just like to think they are. British Telecom are their biggest rivals at the moment.
    If it can be proved that Eircom is in fact "blocking" Smart, their actions would be anti-competitive and thus illegal. You respect that?

(Not that Smart deserve any respect, the entire company is a lie.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

CyberGhost wrote:
    they are losing their customers anyway.

It's a slow death. They're just getting dragged there kicking and screaming! :D

Infini wrote:
    It's a slow death. They're just getting dragged there kicking and screaming! :D

LOL, so true!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

What's with all the Smart bashing?

From the people who are connected it seems to be a good service.

Yes i know the rollout is going slowly and about keeping(or not) your old number.

Is it a good service or not?

I might like to get it myself when it arrives in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cuauhtemoc wrote:
    From the people who are connected it seems to be a good service.
    Not hard to provide good service to that few customers...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement