Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom Rollout Update

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

dahamsta wrote:
    Smart is at the mercy of Eircom just like everyone else, in fact many would argue that the shoddy unbundling process puts them at an even bigger disadvantage.

I do realise that alright. :) The less entwined was a reference to selling their own products on Eircom lines rather than re-selling Eircom's product. In terms of the money Eircom get from SMART I feel it's a lot less than BTIreland (IOL)/UTV and co pay.

Again it doesn't really matter. *goes back to the quiet corner*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

zenith wrote:
    then where *exactly* does/could the bitstream come in?

I mean, it's working in France: is there a reason other than your cynicism that it won't work here, adam?

Adam sees Smart Selling Bitstream , as do I .....and despite Smart denials :)

beller b wrote:
    Garfield I put it to you again, if you have the time to read our posts then have the decency to answer them , along with my PM which you promised to reply to..

Deja vu :) My questions first Garfield as you promised me by PM in ..ummmmmm. Feb was it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Deja vu :) My questions first Garfield as you promised me by PM in ..ummmmmm. Feb was it ?
    Probably was Sponge Bob. Can't even remember what it was now. Something about ancillary voice services was it?
    I could have someone in this forum full time, but they wouldn't be able to answer the questions and we'd get slammed for pimping (remember that Sponge Bob?) and for not having competent people on boards.
    Haven't read the previous posts to this one (just in now), so I presume they're along the lines of whinging about something or other.......

Oh well.

Garfield.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Adam sees Smart Selling Bitstream , as do I .....and despite Smart denials :)
    Big river in Africa......denial.

Garfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Could I ask a stoopid question here? What is Bitstream??
    The Wikipedia says
    A bitstream or bit stream is a time series of bits. A bytestream is a series of bytes, typically of 8 bits each, and can be regarded as a special case of a bitstream.

Bitstreams are used extensively in telecommunications and computing: for example, the SDH communications technology transports synchronous bitstreams, and the TCP communications protocol transports a bytestream without synchronous timing.

When a bitstream is captured and stored on a computer storage media, a computer file is created.

But in the context of the word's use here I'm lost. Anyone?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

zenith wrote:
    is there a reason other than your cynicism that it won't work here, adam?
    The numbers simply don't add up, both on cost/price and unbundles. The cost of leasing the line alone is ridiculous, and the lines are unbundled individually. Oddly, I asked Garfield about it and he didn't answer, and when I asked him if he was going to answer, he PM'd me to ask what I wanted to know. When I said "uh, the stuff in the post", he assured me he'd answer the next day. He didn't.

Seems a common occurence, and it was particularly sweet of him to come in here today to whine about the position he's been put in, and still not answer the perfectly legitimate questions of another user just a few posts back. And his boss has been caught rotten exaggerating and extending rollout, signup and customer numbers to unbelievable degrees on several occasions.

I should put faith in a company whose executives act in this way? Sh'ya, right, that's gonna happen. So yes, cynicism plays a big part; but again, the numbers don't add up -- with the system the way it is today, it's a product that will generate a loss, and not just a penny-ante bitstream loss either. Relying on a favourable outcome from the court case or possible improvements in the LLU system is like spinning a roulette wheel.

Which seems to be how Smart run their business. Fire it up there, see what happens. You know all about that, right? You're still with the other crowd, right? How much did that install cost them? Would you call that a wise investment?

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    he assured me he'd answer the next day. He didn't.
    same with me, at least twice Maybe thrice I am very sorry to say.
    dahamsta wrote:
    the numbers don't add up -- with the system the way it is today
    A CS/Accounts Dept in Citywest did it for me. I cannot see any future for a mass market low margin product where the CS/Accounts dept is in Dublin, it killed ESAT but Smart neer noticed (I think they never cared enuff to notice)

Pity :(

dahamsta wrote:
    The numbers simply don't add up, both on cost/price and unbundles. The cost of leasing the line alone is ridiculous, and the lines are unbundled individually. Oddly, I asked Garfield about it and he didn't answer, and when I asked him if he was going to answer, he PM'd me to ask what I wanted to know. When I said "uh, the stuff in the post", he assured me he'd answer the next day. He didn't.

Adam,

Great to see you're willing to share your knowledge with the forum. You're right, I didn't answer. I should have come back to you, but I didn't. Ho hum. I'm happy to be on the forum, I'm not here to justify our business, our business plan, or anything else really. Sorry your nose was so out of joint.
    dahamsta wrote:
    Seems a common occurence, and it was particularly sweet of him to come in here today to whine about the position he's been put in, and still not answer the perfectly legitimate questions of another user just a few posts back.
    Adam,
    'Particularly sweet'. Who's upset you? I tell you what. Get a list (one list) of all questions and I'll batter through them.
    dahamsta wrote:
    And his boss has been caught rotten exaggerating and extending rollout, signup and customer numbers to unbelievable degrees on several occasions.
    Bit vague there Adam.
    dahamsta wrote:
    I should put faith in a company whose executives act in this way?
    adam
    No worries Adam. Don't join.

Garfield.

dahamsta wrote:
    And his boss has been caught rotten exaggerating and extending rollout, signup and customer numbers to unbelievable degrees on several occasions.
    Bit vague there Adam.

Does 8Mbits ring any bells ?

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Does 8Mbits ring any bells ?
    Sponge Bob,

But I do get 8Mb. I'd invite you round, but for all I know you might be a dog.
    http://www.unc.edu/depts/jomc/academics/dri/idog.html

Garfield.

Sponge Bob,

Garfield.

Crass and useless comment dude !

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Crass and useless comment dude !

Dude,

Probably right.

How do I post an image here from my irishisptest.com results?

Garfield.

I will leave yiz to Adam :eek: and his tender mercies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

We're drifting a bit lads, can we get back on track while we have Garfields attention!

I'm trying to post speed results. Hopefully seen here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Sponge Bob,

Garfield.
    "It's not Magic....it's just Smart"
    Your comment was not very "Smart", so, I guess, all we are left with is the "Magic"
    Piece of advice... when in a hole stop digging

jbkenn

Thats lovely.. Are we all going to get those speeds.....for €35 a month that would really f**k up eircom lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Yes, I after reading page 4 of this thread am starting to think not to botehr with Smart, it may be damn cheaper but uh.........
    I need to know if any games players are using this and whats the pings are like etc

does any €35 Smart punter from you get those speeds and if not why bore us ?????

• Advertisement

jbkenn wrote:
    "It's not Magic....it's just Smart"
    Your comment was not very "Smart", so, I guess, all we are left with is the "Magic"
    Piece of advice... when in a hole stop digging

jbkenn

Thanks for the "Smart" advice jbkenn. See what I did there? I did what you did. Am I still digging? Don't care. Sponge Bob accused us of lying, I challenged him on that. If I have to get the solicitors out everytime I post, posts will be even more sparse.

Garfield.

I forgot to add that Garfield in my view did'nt give one decent honest answer as well, damn I am so confused at this stage.
    I am veering back towards Esat business 1mb/256 up with interleaving off

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

.......... I'm happy to be on the forum,

Garfield.

Its good that you are happy to be with us but it is undeniable that you were very much more with us when you were drumming up business for Smart befoe the launch. There are loads of people on here begging you to answer questions about the roll out so you would be far better off attending to those. Very basic stuff like why do Smart not keep people up date with changing roll out dates? Why do Smart reps not ring back when they say they will etc etc. Why is Garfield not answering question the way he used to when Smart wanted to drum up business?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    does any €35 Smart punter from you get those speeds and if not why bore us ?????
    You brought it up, not me. We never said we offered it, we said we could achieve it. There you go, proof we can achieve it. Nobody gets it for €35 and I don't honestly think that you think that they do. Again. You asked.

Garfield.

Sponge Bob accused us of lying, I challenged him on that..

Who has 8Mbits like your boss said on the Radio , who even has 6.5 and is not staff ?

dub45 wrote:
    Why is Garfield not answering question the way he used to when Smart wanted to drum up business?
    Because I'm busy. I couldd get somebody in this forum all day everyday, but like I said, they wouldn't be able to answer the questions, so I'd get accused of just drumming up business (like you've accused me of now). Get ONE list and I'll answer the questions.

Garfield.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Who has 8Mbits like your boss said on the Radio , who even has 6.5 and is not staff ?

I have achieved 8Mb to the core network, that was a peak, floats between 7Mb and 8Mb. 6.5Mb to that site. My boss said we could achieve 8Mb, which we can. And that's on a line that fails the eircom line test.

We don't offer it as a product. Never said we did.

Garfield.

Garfield why has Peeter who has your BB only getting 1250kb/s d/l and how will your product be for gaming?

& how much do you have to pay ?? lol If its €35 or nothing can I have a job??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

How come I keep getting calls from Smart sales people offering me telephony when I signed up for it months ago along with broadband neither of which have yet to materialize?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement