Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are You Studying?

Options
  • 30-04-2005 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Having completed the JC last year, I have no real purpose for asking this, except to satisfy my own curiousity.

So are putting in the study this year as the exams draw nearer? Are you even studying at all?

Personally I didnt study at all for my exams, because I found it incredibly hard to motivate myself to study especially considering I had a fair idea that I was going to do well, and no matter what, the JC isn't the end of the world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

i know what u mean i only started about 3 days before the start and then a bit each night before that test, i got 1 a 8b and 1c in the end, all honours except 1 of the bs so i was happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I've started studying a small bit.
    Our science teacher is givin us another mock paper on Friday so I was hoping to get all the Science covered over this weekend... Only just about got half of Physics done :/
    Haven't studied anything else yet (school-wise anyhow).
    I'd say between now and the end of school I'll be studying a small bit, and once schools out (I think we've about a week before the exams?) I'll start power-studying.

I don't expect to do much better in the actual JC than in the mocks - I did better in the mocks than I expected for the actual JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I said I'd start studying once I finished the art project.
    It's due tomorrow, so I may start studying tomorrow.

Maybe.

I'm really bad at making myself sit down and study stuff, so in most likelihood I'm only going to study things I think I need to. Like Irish. Damn Irish.
    If I do the same in the JC as the mocks twill be good. Not ideal, but good.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

To be quite honest, very few people study for their junior cert. People might say that they do, but generally they admit afterwards that they really did **** all. However, studying is a very goo dhabit to get into - especially if you want to do well in your leaving. If you can learn to study effectively in third year and actually keep it up thrpough fifth and sixth, you will have no problem getting whatever course you want in college. I'm in sixth year and many people are only starting to work now - if you study, you're basically giving yourself a headstart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

My mum (who incidentally is now gone to yoga) keeps badgering me to study but the extent of it over the long weekend was learning off one theme from an irish story. I think for the leaving cert I might see about booking into a solitary confinement cell with no windows (if they have those) so that I'll have absolutely NO distractions. I know for a fact that one of my friends goes home, eats, practises piano, studies for four hours, wathces half an hour of TV and goes to bed. That's his daily routine every single weekday. If only I had no "distractions". i'm, still of the opinion that I can get the main topics of all courses covered in the last week or whatever right before the JC. AND we'll have weekends... Sorry, I probably shouldn't be saying this; probably de-motivating anyone who is able to study...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Apart from the computer, I don't get many distractions. However, I still get feck all time to do homework, nevermind study... hmm.

Well, I don't think it's corrent for me to have to compromise on my computer-related work (well... learning) for some mostly-irelevent English, Irish, Maths, French, Science, Geography, Technical Graphics, CSPE, and Business Studies exams.
    Mark Twain wrote:
    Never let schooling interfere with your education.
    That for me, is one of the coolest quotes ever.
    It's not that easy tho, I have to study these damned irelevent subjects or I'll never get anywhere in life no matter how good I am at Z.
    But thats the world we live in, and it's not gonna change anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Ive done abit in the science experiments, a bit on characters for english and poetry and a good bit on paper one in maths and a good bit in history except Irish History.And thats all really.Ill be forced to study as the exams draw nearer due to fear and pressure.So I think Ill be alright..hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

meh i havent started properly yet! im gonna start very soon tho i think lol coz im scared ****less about them :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

I really intended to start studying in April but then I had after school stuff and right now I'm barely keeping up with my homework! Woot! We finished the business course this week! (of course the other class had it completed in November...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

yeh ive been studying a bit

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Jakkass wrote:
    meh i havent started properly yet! im gonna start very soon tho i think lol coz im scared ****less about them :p
    Don't worry, it's only the junior cert! So long as you don't fail anything, you're grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭J Campion

Fishie wrote:
    So long as you don't fail anything, you're grand

Fail, we can fail?!!!! Why must they brand us failures?!!!

On a side notemy stupid school sent a 3 page letter to everyone's parents giving them dire warnings about the risk of not studying and the evils of TV, somputers, part-time jobs etc. Damn school... Now my mum is badgering me even more. I didn't think it was possible... :mad: :(

im seriously ****ed for Science probs gonna start studying that ASAP (only reached 57% in mocks studying night b4 like all my exams)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭alic

im kinda studying but im ok if anything i want to at least pass science business and history.im doing ordinary maths and irish and every thing else higher but i think i will be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Only 57%? I got an E in my Mocks, but managed to get a C in the actual JC. I think this was because the marking scheme in the mocks doesnt exactly take into account the possibility of using common sense and logic to solve problems and I basically just bluffed my way through all the exam :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm only studying things I think I need to study...I dont really care as long as I get a C at least in a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rozabeez wrote:
    I'm only studying things I think I need to study...I dont really care as long as I get a C at least in a subject.
    At least a C in "a" subject. :eek:

omg victor lol dont have a heart attack m8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Rozabeez wrote:

Judging you only on your posts here, I'd say you're well able for a B in english - most people can't string a proper sentance together, that's the honest truth.

I'm starting studying "properly" in about 15mins, as I just finished school today. Aiming for 3 A's (maths, english, CSPE), 4 B's (Science, Geography, Irish, French) and I honestly couldn't care any less about History or Business Studies. Tbh I don't care about geography, but having done every single long answer from 2004 back to 1996 I think I'm prepared to get a B without any study :) , stupid homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I dont think I'll get a B in English, I love the subject but I just lose it during every english exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Diggins

Like Murderer i find it incredibly hard to motivate myself so i dunno what i am going to do guess ill just bluff my way thru exams as usual. hopefully get my A in techgraphs and cspe :D

Rozabeez wrote:
    I dont think I'll get a B in English, I love the subject but I just lose it during every english exam.

I know the feeling alright, just hope it doesn't happen to me during the big'un! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Remember, CSPE is a free A, don't waste it.

Yea, that's what I do for maths and science. For english I revise my poems, novel notes and drama. Other than that there's just languages, and to be quite honest I havent a clue how to study them, so I havent done anything yet :)
    Enlil_Nick wrote:
    Remember, CSPE is a free A, don't waste it.

True, but still only people who are getting stuff for each A should study the night before the exam or whatever, even if you were to fail CSPE it doesn't matter in the slightest in the state's eye :) .

For maths I just do questions.
    Irish, I go through my stories, picking out bad grammar, then rewrite them correctly. I have about 5 pages of vocabulary/grammar from just stories. Which I should really learn. But it's nice to look at it and go "wow I'm so good at studying!"
    English is mostly learning off poems, paragraph plans.

Everything else, so far, has been mostly..... just reading the books, maybe doing some questions (ie for science). I'm planning on making out history notes on some stuff though, real soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Indeed the timetable is quite nicely laid out imo..a few bad days (Monday and Tuesday 13th and 14th are gonna be the hardest methinks, but have the weekend to prepare), but other than that most of it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm gonna do what I did in the mocks, study mostly the first subject the night before, then in the hour and a half between exams cram for the next one. It works.

I'm immensely glad they split Irish 1 and 2 up. However, I'd prefer if it were Irish 2 on the Monday instead of maths.
    Provided I lose this cold I've got by the time the exams start, maths should be no problem, so I'm not worried about that.

I'd say History and French might be one of the trickier days, although in general I'm more worried about the first week. Mainly just Irish 1 and English 2. Time is a jerk on English 2, was probably my closest exam in the mocks, and I had a reasonable idea what was coming up on it anyway. If I was given all day I could do excellently on English 2, but it's just the time constraint, means you don't have as much time to actually form new essays about the studied texsts, so it's all about having one preprepared. Ugh. Memorising...

I'm terrified of what's going to come up on Irish 1... especially the comhra. I mean, I know it's only 20 marks but that is a fifth of the paper, so it can make a big difference. Apparently some years they've gotten completely incomprehensible tasks...

• Advertisement

Time is a jerk on English 2, was probably my closest exam in the mocks, and I had a reasonable idea what was coming up on it anyway. If I was given all day I could do excellently on English 2, but it's just the time constraint, means you don't have as much time to actually form new essays about the studied texsts, so it's all about having one preprepared. Ugh. Memorising...

I don't think preparing an answer is good for english, as my teachers have always told me you wont get many marks for just writing a summary, and other than that you can't really prepare essays and be sure that they're gonna come up. Time is indeed a bitch for that paper, but the sample answers for the questions are alot shorter than what I usually write, so I think it'll be ok on the day.

Things I'm worried about are: just about everything in irish, and the letter and postcard/note in French. The former because though my grammar is ok, I'm just horrible at the translating thing so I usually have to judge what a text is about simply by the picture! The latter because it's just hard to write as we didn't really cover them in class...

Advertisement