Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NDA reports on discrimination faced by LGB's with Disabilities

Options
  • 30-04-2005 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Disabled people who are lesbian, gay men or bisexual are discriminated against in Irish society, NDA discussion paper finds
    Release Date: 29/04/2005

The estimated 30,000 Irish people with disabilities who are also lesbian, gay or bisexual are further disadvantaged in a number of ways because of their sexual orientation, according to a discussion paper published today (April 29, 2005) by the National Disability Authority.

"Discrimination and exclusion are common experiences for disabled lesbians, gay men and bisexuals in the context of their contact with the disability community, the lesbian, gay and bisexual scenes, service providers and with wider society," the discussion paper says.

The discussion paper is based on selected international and national literature and original research with lesbian, gay and bisexual people living in Ireland. It provides an overview of the reality of their lives, identifies key issues and makes recommendations for research, standards and dialogue that will inform the development of policy.

Recurrent themes that emerged during the preparation of the paper include discrimination of disabled lesbians, gay men of bisexuals within the disabled and lesbian, gay and bisexual communities, access issues, information, education, awareness and attitudes.

"This discrimination and exclusion has very real consequences, both for the individual in terms of mental well being, access to services and quality of life, and for Irish society in terms of full, open and equal participation for all its members," it says.

The paper says there is deficit in the area of research into sexual orientation and disability internationally and nationally. "Research needs to be undertaken into lives, experiences and needs of lesbian, gay and bisexual disabled people living across Ireland, including rural areas. In particular research into the experiences of lesbians, gay men and bisexuals in residential care is urgently required to inform policy, standards and practice."

The NDA document says the Disability Bill proposes the introduction of needs assessment and adds: "these should address sexuality and include sexual and social needs e.g. identifying services and social activities that disabled people who are lesbian, gay or bisexual need to access."

Service and practice standards must include equality requirements to ensure that they deliver high quality, appropriate and adequate provision to people with disabilities who are lesbian, gay or bisexual.

Commenting on the discussion paper the Chairperson of the National Disability Authority, Ms Angela Kerins said: "an inclusive Irish society for people with disabilities requires that such individuals have equal access and opportunities to all aspects of economic, social and cultural life and that diversity within the disability community is acknowledged, supported and valued.

"I hope this discussion paper will inform not only the NDA work in fulfilling our statutory remit on policy, research and standards but will also stimulate further discussion on disability and sexual orientation amongst a wide range of individuals and organisations in the disability and lesbian, gay and bisexual communities and wider population, including service providers, Government Departments and agencies.

"The NDA looks forward to taking this important work forward in partnership with disabled people who are lesbian, gay or bisexual and all stakeholders," said Ms Kerins.

The full report "Disability and Sexual Orientation: A discussion document" is available by following this link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

*sigh*

I remember doing a tiny bit of work on this issue about 10 years ago. Looking over that document, it really doesn't seem like there's been much of an improvement.

:( :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

Yes little has changed, if you were at the Pride celebrations at the Civic offices last weekend you would have seen how poor the access was and the new bars on the scene are not great either including Dublin's first bar for women and their friends. I sound like a scratched CD at this stage.

No, didn't make Pride, was at Féile Draíochta (Incidentally, we were assured the venue was fully wheelchair accessible, but I don't think that came up, and you only really know when it's tried in practice. We only had one sign interpreter for the talks, because she came with a group that needed a signer, though I suppose we still fared well compared to many big-budget events in that regard).

Would you say that the new scene pubs (haven't been into any yet, except I was in the Dragon a few times back when it was straight) are particularly bad - is this another area of double discrimination, or just the gay and lesbian portion of a generally bad situation for all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

Hiya,

sorry have not checked in here in a while. The new pubs on the Dublin scene - well I have been into Dragon and the access is not great. Its a back door job for wheelchair users down a laneway and only part of the bar is accessible. There is a new bar aimed at women with men as guests in Capel St. which is not at all accessible for wheelchair users. I don't know about Yello as I have not been there.

At a glance Yello seems like it should be naturally wheelchair-accessible - wide doors with no steps and a reasonably open interior. I haven't been in The Dragon since it was straight (and called "SoSuMe", what a crap name) but it did seem rather stair-heavy alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Out of interest - anyone know - has there been much improvement in 5 years? Have the NDA done anything since?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement