Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Celica newest model

Options
  • 30-04-2005 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I'm also considering this car as my second car. What do people think? I'm looking at a couple of 2 year olds next week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lovely looking car imo. Very lively 1.8 VVTi. Two versions of this engine 140bhp and 190bhp. The 190bhp is very rare here and most are likely to be either UK or Jap imports.

Just becareful as with alot of these type of cars they tend to end up being driven hard at some stage of their life.

These ones look very nice:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=233076

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=227711

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Cheers bazz26. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

never been mad on that model celica, it just looks "smaller" than the previous ones. its also not particularily powerfull. if its a 2nd car, why not get something older, quicker and much more dafter? u could get a porsche 944 or a classic 911, a nissan 300, a toyota supra, a mitsubishi 3000 gt, the list goes on. as long as you can (or get someone who can) spot a thrashed motor theres plenty of bang available for the buck you're talking about. the porsches would prolly be the best for selling on. If thats not the sort of insurance bracket you want to end up in, get a soft top, plenty of small engined fun models about.

Thanks Noel. I'll certainly have a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Praetorian wrote:
    I'm also considering this car as my second car. What do people think? I'm looking at a couple of 2 year olds next week.
    I bought one of these last August and I love it. I went to the UK and bought a 2002 190bhp model. The cheapest 190 model I could find here at the time was €30000. I paid about €26000 for one full with Toyota extras with only 25k miles and full service history.

Anyway I would recommend you buy the 190 model if you can as it has better resale (due to it being rare here) and 50bhp more :D . They are plenty fast and capable of over 140mph (not that you'd want to be doing that) .. fastest 1.8 engine I've ever driven and easily faster than the 1995 2 litre model I had before it.

Plenty of room in the front .. enough for 2 people in the back but only for a small journey (very little rear leg room) and a big boot for this type car.

Get one .. you won't regret it.

Anything else you want to know just ask.

• Advertisement

Sweet v10 thanks for the response. The 190bhp version certainly is rare, and that is the version I'd like of course.

Do you know if the insurance companies insure the two different models differently? How is she on juice? I do 40 miles every day on the M1, so I'm hoping she won't cost a small fortune to run.

Praetorian wrote:
    Sweet v10 thanks for the response. The 190bhp version certainly is rare, and that is the version I'd like of course.

Do you know if the insurance companies insure the two different models differently? How is she on juice? I do 40 miles every day on the M1, so I'm hoping she won't cost a small fortune to run.

Yep they are in a different insurance group based on bhp according to FBD. I was with FBD for the last few years and got my first renewal off them last month for the Celica @ €2000!! I'm 32 with a full no-claims bonus! Anyway I got it for €760 from Hibernian(through insure.ie) in the end which I though was very reasonable.

As for mpg .. I'm probably the worst person to ask as I have a heavy right foot. Anyway I do all my mileage on back roads and get 250 miles from €50/50L .. thats about 22-23 mpg ... but this can go up to 30mpg easily on long drives.

I'd advise you go to the UK. High spec models are more available. Mine has all extras spolier, skirts, 17'' Wheels, sunroof, climate control all leather seats etc... you just don't get all that over here.

Thanks again. I would be apprehenshive about buying from the uk. Did you buy privately or from a dealer? Would you mind giving the dealer name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Praetorian wrote:
    Thanks again. I would be apprehenshive about buying from the uk. Did you buy privately or from a dealer? Would you mind giving the dealer name?

dont be. cars are better looked after there and vrt is resonable. look for a fsh with evidence of care like regular break fluid changes/timing belts/ nice paint/ no accident repairs/ good tyres and brands/clutch possibly depending on mileage. if it has these u wont go wrong. toyotas that are cared for are bulletproof

Praetorian wrote:
    I had no problem buying from the UK, in fact I bought before I had even seen the car (photos only). Seen the car on Autotrader.co.uk, liked it contacted the Dealer who confirmed condition and spec. It had a full Toyota service history, had been checked for finance by the dealer (who wasn't a main dealer btw) then I got a bank draft and jumped on a plane then a train and picked up the car and drove home.
    The fact that the car was still under manufacturer warranty helped.

You will find it hard to find a 190 here, and be careful as dealers both here and the UK often advertise a Celica 190/T-Sport that is only a normal Celica. Make sure it's a 190 engine before you buy (if thats what you're looking for).

• Advertisement
Advertisement