Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharpening Lawnmower blade

Options
  • 30-04-2005 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know if its better to get the blade of a lawnmower sharpened or to just buy a new one? Where would I get a new one and where would I get the old one sharpened?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

It is quite easy to sharpen a blade if you have a way of holding it and a file. Also a hammer is also handy to flatten any nicks in the blade. Obviously if one side is very badly bent it is better to get a new one. Any of the DIY places should have replacement blades for the various types of lawnmowers or go back to where you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

mini grinder.Ya will have it done in a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It might work out cheaper just to buy a new blade? I'll have to check prices, thanks for the replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Most DIY hire shops will sharpen lawnmover blades for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote:
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if its better to get the blade of a lawnmower sharpened or to just buy a new one? Where would I get a new one and where would I get the old one sharpened?
    thanks!
    Is this a cylinder mower we're talking about here, or a rotary one?

Rotaries are pretty easy to sharpen. Take the blade off, clamp it in a vice, clean it up and sharpen with a grinder, file or grinding stone.

For cylinder mowers, you can do the same, but you have to be very careful that you do it uniformly across all the blades otherwise you'll end up with gaps between the cylinder blades and the stationary blade. You'll probably have to adjust the stationary blade afterwards too which can be a bit fiddly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That sounds quite complicated and impossible, I don't have a vice or a grinder:( It would probably work out cheaper to get someone else do it then to go about it that way. I haven't a clue which type of blade it is either! thanks for the suggestions!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I just got metal file,turned mower on side(take out sparkplug incase) and file blades.Took half hour tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I picked up a device in b'nq a couple of weeks ago that sharpens blades. it is a circular sharpening block and it fits on top of a drill and you then offer it up to the blade - you can't go wrong and it does a fairly decent job - 12 euro or less I think.

Advertisement