Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robben refused to start on Wednesday - report

• 30-04-2005 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

A few of the newspapers have said that Robben refused to start against Liverpool on Wednesday even though Mourinho felt he was fit enought to start. I would have ignored these rumours since they came from the likes of the Sun and the Mail but Robben is not in Chelsea's squad to play Bolton today. There is definitely something up. I would guess that something happened after the match as he came on on Wednesday and now is not even in the squad for today's match.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I'd read nothing into it, first of all he didn't even look fit againt Pool, he said after the fulham how he slighlty aggravated his foot in the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Personally, I feel he was right, three serious injuries so far this season and its a crucial time in Chelsea's season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Alot of talk about this....seems Mourinho didnt shake his hand after game on Wednesday....only player he didnt......

Also was talking about the "Chin" yesterday(Jimmy Hill) and they seems to be suggesting that Terry and Lampard and another few of the players that have been playing through the pain barrier(Terry has a funny bone in foot and needs injection before every game :eek: ) are a bit pissed off with his atitude.....saying more or less that if we can fight through the pain barrier for the club why cant you seeing as you have sat on your ass half the season.....also reports from Holland that he likes an injury! in other words doesnt mind to take a rest during season and seemily that every season in Holland has at least one injury that kept him out for a while....

They also mentioned that if he is rocking the boat Mourinho will prob just sell him in summer and buy someone else who will sacrafice them selves for the club! someone with the atitude of Duff I might add......wuld rather him in my team any day of the week.....also must add that if Duff wasnt injuryed Robben wouldnt have even got a look in with Duff and Cole in his place....Cole has been a revelation for Chelsea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What Nelly said is what i read into it, others have played when injured, Terry needs an op at end of season.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    What Nelly said is what i read into it, others have played when injured, Terry needs an op at end of season.

kdjac

Yeah if they get knocked out tomorrow I think he will go for op then....if not will be playing throught till Champion League final....but not too many PL games as they have won it!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Big Nelly wrote:
    They also mentioned that if he is rocking the boat Mourinho will prob just sell him in summer and buy someone else who will sacrafice them selves for the club! someone with the atitude of Duff I might add......

Was Duff not allegedly in the same boat earlier in the season when coming back from a shoulder injury?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Duff proved when playing for Ireland that that was all rubbish. Mourinho's "mental block" theory was all wrong. :)

Was Duff not allegedly in the same boat earlier in the season when coming back from a shoulder injury?

No, Duff never said he didnt want to play....Mourinho thought he had a mental block and wasnt playing up to standard because he was worried he would injury himself again....as Eireboy has mentioned once he seen him play for Ireland that was over and done with and Duff has shown through out the season that he is willing to play through the pain barrier.,......Newcastle V Chelsea game shows this to be the truth...he kept playing even thou he was injuryed to try and help the team.......so in short no Duff isnt in the same boat or even in the same sea :D

OK, so Robben needs a Holland match to convince Mourinho of his commitment? :)

The reports are that Robben refused to play. Mourinho just assumed that there was something up with Duff at the start of the season and he'd be the first to admit he was wrong (or maybe he wouldn't :)).

• Advertisement

OK, so Robben needs a Holland match to convince Mourinho of his commitment? :)

Have you read the thread?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Have you read the thread?

Nah, just the bits where you bang on about Duff being omnipotent wonderman :D

Nah, just the bits where you bang on about Duff being omnipotent wonderman :D

Can you quote me anywhere in this thread where I said Duff was a wonder man? I said he was a team player along with Terry and Lampard.....and if you actually read it this was actually discussed about on a TV program here with Jimmy Hill and they more or less said what I refered to above.......

1. That Mourinho was pissed cause Robben didnt want to play and wouldnt shake hands with Robben after the game
    2. Players like Terry/Lampard and so on where not impressed either
    3. It has been suggested from sources in Holland that Robben likes an injury e.g. that he always has a few weeks/months off a season and can blow hot and cold if he doesnt get that sort of rest
    4. This is why he performed so badly in European Championships

The only reason I mentioned Duff is because he is a similiar player but with a different atitude....he would play even with injury for the good of the team where as Robben has shown that he wont......

So please explain or are you just trolling??

Actually, I remember Duff saying he would postpone his shoulder operation to play for Chelsea but he wasn't allowed.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/story.asp?newsid=11266

Trolls don't use smileys.
    someone with the atitude of Duff I might add......wuld rather him in my team any day of the week.....also must add that if Duff wasnt injuryed Robben wouldnt have even got a look in with Duff and Cole in his place

That's mostly green glasses. Ask anyone outside Ireland which two of Cole, Robben and Duff they'd have in their team. I don't know which European Championships you were watching, but Robben certainly didn't 'perform so badly'.
    He's only 20, any decent trainer knows you don't risk exacerbating a teenager's injury by playing him regularly when he's not fully fit.

I personally think the supposed rift with Mourinho is bollocks, and the thread is moot

Duff for Blackburn and under Ranieri was certainly just as good as Robben attacking wise. He didn't lose it overnight, people have short memories though. :) I would prefer Duff in my team because I know he is just as good as Robben going forward. Just because Mourinho doesn't give him freedom doesn't mean he has lost his flair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Big Nelly wrote:
    So please explain or are you just trolling??
    Sorry just have to ask at last what is this trolling people are always on about? what does trolling mean?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Yea Robben was really ****, those 3 assists against The Czechs were terrible :rolleyes:

smuckers wrote:
    Yea Robben was really ****, those 3 assists against The Czechs were terrible :rolleyes:

Sorry he was world class in the euro's....I forgot....must start remembering theses things...... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eirebhoy wrote:

Thanks mate, spent bout an hour readin thru the wikipedia artical on it, quite the informative piece, cheers.

Advertisement