Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HitchHikers Guide To The Galaxy

Options
  • 30-04-2005 5:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭

What can one say but this is the Hoopiest Frood of a movie ever.
    Falling Whale, Check.
    Nuts Improbability Effects, Check.
    Bewildered Arthur, Check.
    Bowl of Sentient Petunias, Check.

Went to see it yesterday and loved every second of it.

A lot changed but then every new iteration of the story has added and taken away some, distilling the best of it for each individual format.

Pure Genius.

Get to your local Multiplex/Cinema/Hole in a bog with a screen and see this picture before the next sloppy rubbish from hollywood muscles this off its listings, don't wait for the DVD edition.

May even be better than that other space based movie due in a couple of weeks, now what was that to be called, revenge of the something.....

Don't forget your towel, and hang onto both your arms, you will need at least two to operate your Digital Watch!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A mixed bag I thought.

Really brought some bits of the book to life, added in some new fresh and good stuff, then added a whole load of crap with the Vogons.

Started good, dragged in the middle, ended good.

I really hated Zaphod Beeblebrox.
    The removal of his second head made him slightly less annoying, but still not likeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So long and thanks for all the fish
    So sad that it should come to this
    We tried to warn you all but oh dear

You may not share our intellect
    Which might explain your disrespect
    For all the natural wonders that grow around you

So long, so long and thanks for all the fish

The world's about to be destroyed
    There's no point getting all annoyed
    Lie back and let the planet dissolve (around you)

Despite those nets of tuna fleets
    We thought that most of you were sweet
    Especially tiny tots and your pregnant women

So long So long So long So long So long,
    So long so long and thanks for all the fish.

If I had just one last wish,
    I would like a tasty fish,

If we could just change one thing,
    We would all have learned to sing,

Come, one and all,
    Man and mammal,
    Side by side in life's great gene pool.

(instrumental)

So long So long So long So long So long
    So long So long and thanks for all the fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I went to see it last night and thought it was good enough, but being an old school fan of Douglas, I thought that the books were far better and even the original TV series did some parts better.

But in a way I happy that they changed a lot of it from the book because the mainstream will never know what it's really all about. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Went to see it again last night, now feel the John Malkovich scenes are a bit tacked on, really unnecessary, Humma Kavula I think his name is, the rest is as funny as ever, should be interesting to see if they go on to interpret the following books in a big screen sequel, I'm hoping for the whole Krikket business, Warships, exploding cricket balls, once they don't turn it into Baseball!!!

Thanks for the Song lyrics by the way, that tune deserves to be up there with "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life", I wonder if they will release the single, with a Norman Cook Remix!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The only thing this movie did better than the old tv show is the new Marvin. Alan Rickman's voice and the design/acting of the guy in the suit was fantastic.

Rest of the movie was utter ****e. Left far to much out and the added subplots and love interest sucked.

Get the original on DVD and avoid this train wreck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope Venom, have to disagree with you there, the TV show was just another version of the Radio and Book forms of the story, each one altering the story, especially the book, tons of material in there, I have the dvd set and watched them recently and yes there are many things different about the new movie, but what the movie has done is add needed direction to the tale, it now has a much better plot, things in that plot for non-hg2g fans to enjoy.
    If the books or tv show was simply transferred to celluloid a lot of punters would have stayed away.

Stephen Fry was great as the book, Martin Freeman great as Arthur, Mos Def a good Ford, Trillian was just too cute for words, Marvin a brilliant triumph of casting and Sam Rockwell spot on as Zaphod, it was a wonderful film.

Maybe you should try reading the books or get out the Audio version and see just how many different versions of the story there are, thats part of it too, Douglas had pointed out that this was part of the tales charm.

And you have to admit the effects in the TV show were awful, really really awful, but charming! Remember seeing Zaphods extra head on Blue Peter!

Anyone elses heart lift when the old theme music came on after our heroes get ejected into space? Beautiful, need that ringtone so I do!!

We need a list of all the references in the movie to the book, like Zaphod calling Ford Ix and the Vogons hammering jeweled crabs for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dorktower447.gif

My point exactly, every version has its charm, the best version of the lot was probably the one Douglas had in his head when he wrote them all down and it died with him, so lets enjoy each one on its own merits.

But it is ok to have favourites,
    Once you don't then condemn other peoples differing opinions as some sort of heresy. A bit of a life lesson there methinks.

But then, It could be worse, you could be a Doctor Who fan! Now there's a reason to keep your head below the parapet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Wasnt a big fan of the books but i have to say i loved the film when i seen it tonight. I am going back to see it again in fact :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I quite liked the movie , but I'v yet to see a movie in the sci-fi / far fetched fantasy genre that does justice to the books, to cover everything it would have to be 7 hours plus.

Enjoyable and hopefully will motivate people who haven't yet to read some more Adams.

Side note: the cinema I ws in , don't think there was anyone under 30 watching the show !

Wonderful also to see movie getting a great response in the states one would have expected such a british sci/fi movie getting a hard time but no, it went to no.1, nice going.
    Most of my friends who have seen it never read the book, watched the show or listened to the radio production yet loved the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I enjoyed the movie and to be honest it cleared some stuff up that confused me in the books - actually seeing the movie a second time cleared up some stuff I missed in the first viewing.

In my opinion the movie really couldn't have been much better but it still wasn't a patch on the book. I was glad the old Marvin got an appearence in the movie because I never really pictured him looking anything like the movie one - which I still liked. It was well put together but there has to be more movies because it left a few things to be sorted out
    Zaphod's second head and the reference to the restaurant at the end of the universe. They can't just leave that hanging because it leaves people with the wrong impression of which end of the universe it's at until they read the books. I'm sure I missed some more too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Coltaine

I really enjoyed this movie, thought they held reasonably well with the books principles.

Love the song, love Marvin, great film

As I said before reckon a sequel is on the way, maybe they might leave it for a little while and come back to it. Combining the next two books would seem like the best idea, having the resturant scenes early in the movie and the moving on to the galaxy under threat from the Krikkit warship armada released from their slo-time envelope, I can just about see the special effects budget now, WOW! they will need special effects just to show the end of the receipt for the special effects!
    If you think the first film was cinfusing, can you imagine the reaction to Slartibartfasts Bistromath ship, with the SEP field (Someone Elses Problem) engaged, could be pretty hoopy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Laughed my ass off, really enjoyed it... the whale, i nearly fell out of my seat i was laughing so much :D

A friend went with however didn't think it was funny at all :) ... the robot did get annoying after a while thou

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

So many references to towels in the film, but never explained.

Nice touch that the TV Marvin was also in the film. But the best special effects are in the radio version, which is the original (and imo, best) format.

Advertisement