Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Rates

Options
  • 30-04-2005 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Came across a useful resources for anyone paying bloody business rates to the city or county council.

This Site here will give you details on any propertys rates liability , the size of the property and what they pay.

Cost me 20 euro to find out that my neighbouring restaurant pays 30% less a year and doesnt pay for his converted second floor . So off to the council to see what I can do because I nearly pay as much on rates as I do on rent and people complain about high restaurant prices.

Is there any way of reducing my rates as I have heard that some people are now getting their outside space ie.. if you keep tables outside valued aswell as part of the property so I dont want to put my foot in it and and up with a higher rates bill as I have a canopy with a few seats outside.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, if you have tables outside, you need either (a) planning permission if it's a private landing or (b) a licence from the corporation, for which you pay per square metre. The licence isn't a property right, so you won't pay extra rates for it. The planning permission - who knows, depends on whether it really makes a substantial difference to the value.

I can't say whether it's usual for rates to be as high as rent, though it doesn't sound right to me. Depends on whether your rent is as high as it could be, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Thanks I didnt think it was fair to be charged extra rates for public space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, you are paying for it one way or the other, either as rates and rent or else by way of the licence.

Advertisement