Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea are Champions

• 30-04-2005 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Chelsea, victorious!
    Congratulations to all fans and players.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

They are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

congrats to chelsea they played some good football.

It should be interesting to see how they fare in their remaining champ league games now they they have the premiereship in the pocket and can concentrate on the champ league fully?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well done the title stays in london where it will remain for a good while imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Congragulations to Chelsea, totally deserved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fair play to Chelsea, deserved Champions. The Premiership is officially no longer a 1 or 2 horse race.

Quite fitting that Lampard scored the winning goals too.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well done Chelsea. Now lets see if they can go on an become Champions of Europe.

Good Luck to all their Fans on Tuesday night. Should be a good game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Congrats to Chelsea. They won the EPL by Christmas!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

enjoy it :D

retaining it is when we'll see how great chelsea are. complacency come tuesday could be a problem. 'pool on the back of a poor result will be hungry, chelsea will need to be switched on, no celebrations tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

It had to be that man to produce something out of the hat, but what control by the Makster for the second goal. Its been so long, a couple of reinforcements are needed but thats it.

Super Frank super Frank super Frank super Frankie Lampard, getting more cans.

JM is god, he said way back in the season we'd win with weeks to spare. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

ah well wont bother with the false fawning congratulations for chelsea but enjoy the victory smuckers tis a super feeling

cant wait for next season

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

ah well would of been easier for CFC to just give the FA the 200 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

BaZmO* wrote:
    Fair play to Chelsea, deserved Champions. The Premiership is officially no longer a 1 or 2 horse race.

Quite fitting that Lampard scored the winning goals too.

B.

Deserved? You know someone just threw a load of money at them right? Deserved me bottom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i dont like the way sky give murinho all the credit when it's the players that desreve it. camera on him the whole match & he was the 1st man people wanted to interview after.

its the same with alot of managers but they go ott on murinho imo. he loves it of course.

sjones wrote:
    Deserved? You know someone just threw a load of money at them right? Deserved me bottom :)

They still have to play well as a team, and funnily enough some of JM's signings: the jury is still out.

Kezman -gone
    Drogs- will be given another go
    Tiago- at best a squad player IMO

The 3 players who have gone from strength to strength are Terry Lamps and Gallas and they were in the pre-ambro era.

smemon wrote:
    i dont like the way sky give murinho all the credit when it's the players that desreve it. camera on him the whole match & he was the 1st man people wanted to interview after.

its the same with alot of managers but they go ott on murinho imo. he loves it of course.

Of course he's going to get credit, what do you think he's the invisible man? he's instilled belief into that team, improves players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

What was the name of the guy you bought who probably made more of a difference in your title bid . . . oh yeah Cech thats the guy right there.
    Seems like i just destroyed you argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

sjones wrote:

how much have man united spent in the last 2 years alone?

The management team coach the players, you do realise that don't you? Cech was superb before he came but has became even better with the coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I don't care how much money we spent, how much Jose was on TV, how bad Jarosik played, anything coz after 20 odd years of following Chelsea I've finally seen them win the bloody premiership :-)

hic

• Advertisement

And we should have done a few years back, thanks to Mr Guppy himself we we didn't Dubbery sub for Ferrer was silly out allotgether.
    every year since after Hoddle, Chelsea were the also rans, even signing Hasselbaink I still knew we wouldn't do it, but the press were all for it.
    I've been following over 20 years myself and I've come with crucial goals and games and signings and matches, the 90's for younger people in no particlar order

I'm obviously gonig to forget things, from the top of my head

Steins penno against Spurs at the bridge in the 4-3 thriller, struggling in the bottom half.
    The Zola signing
    The double over Utd thanks to Peacock
    Zola's goal against Wimbeldon
    Zola's goal against Stuttgart in cup winners cup
    Hughes volley against Vicenza
    Di Matteos goal against Boro in FA cup.
    Wisey's equaliser in san siro
    The signings of Petrescu and Phelan were great purchases at a crucial stage, the former a true legend and a really down to earth bloke.
    Poyet signing, a superb player
    Gullit and Hughes joining really took the club to a different level
    Cudicini at a snip price
    Flo was only recognised for knocking out Liverpool a bargain at 330,000 but had been scouted for months.
    Di Matteo scoing a second time at Wembley against Villa.
    J Spencers goal against Vienna, the poor bloke's hamstring is still bad from that run from his own box.
    Hasselbaink signing, Jimmy was v selfish at times but he's a 20 league goalscorer, the first since Dixon, unfortunately player morale was low for few months.
    Bridgey's goal against Arse
    The signings of Lampard and Gallas
    Roman coming, there was a complete meltdown on the net that night.
    The signings of Cech Duff Makelele.
    Lampard's double against Bolton

The 2-0 win against Brugee, Rocky had his best game ( god rest his soul)
    The emergence of Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Congrats Chelsea - best team in the league this season. Cech, Terry and Lampard in particular have been particularily worthy of winning the premiership.

My (Chelsea supporting) mate thought he'd never see it in his lifetime, and i'm happy for him. I'll be even happier next season when Arsenal take the title back off them to give Highbury a proper send off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Congratulations Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Nice to see a new winner of the premiership and well done to chelsea. Hopefully there will be a few more new winners in the coming years...

In one way chelsea winning the league is good for the league as of course its someone else to compete with man utd and arsenal, but i still have the feeling that its a bit of a false title after all the money that has been thrown at chelsea. I do realise that there's a lot more too making a team play well than just buying the top players, so fare play to them on that front. JM is obviously a great coach..

Don't get me wrong, chelsea play some superb football and they are great to watch, but i think the whole mega billionaire owner with the bottomless pockets takes away from the true spirit of football. They are like a bunch of hired mercenaries hired to do a bank job or something*

*disclaimer* alcohol was consumed before this post :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

BaZmO* wrote:
    The Premiership is officially no longer a 1 or 2 horse race.

It was a 1 horse race this season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sjones wrote:
    Deserved? You know someone just threw a load of money at them right? Deserved me bottom

Still had to play to win it, and this year they played exceptionaly well.

smemon wrote:

How many threads has there been calling for a managers resignation?

If a manager gets all the stick if his team are performing badly, well then he has to get all the credit if his team perform well.

It was a 1 horse race this season!

:D LOL.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Mourinho didn't make any quality signgings, but he made the players he had amazing. Nearly all the credit must go to him, he made Terry and Lampard into arguably one of the best players in the world.
    I'm drunk right now so I'm gracious, but tomorrow, LONG LIVE MAN UTD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Congrats "Torpedo Chelski" :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Congrats to Chelsea, they bought a good championship.

Putin may put a stop to it all if he decides to go after R.A. It's terrible to see the number of players who want to go to Stamford Bridge ONLY for the money because that IS the only reason. Before everyone gets indignant and starts shouting about ManU or Arsenal or Liverpool, players went to these teams because of the trophies and titles they won, what had Chelsea to offer, only money.

Gerrard and Rio will go to Chelsea (and good riddance if they do !!) alright but watch them run away screaming when the money dries up.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

ZENER wrote:

Putin may put a stop to it all if he decides to go after R.A. It's terrible to see the number of players who want to go to Stamford Bridge ONLY for the money because that IS the only reason. Before everyone gets indignant and starts shouting about ManU or Arsenal or Liverpool, players went to these teams because of the trophies and titles they won, what had Chelsea to offer, only money.

Gerrard and Rio will go to Chelsea (and good riddance if they do !!) alright but watch them run away screaming when the money dries up.

ZEN
    Don't forget Ashley Cole.

Well done to Chelsea, and I don't really believe they've played fantastic football because whenever I've watched them they're very conservative and boring. Arsenal are still the best attacking team in the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

ZENER wrote:

ZEN

Maybe players went to chelsea because they know there is potential for the team to win the premiership and they achieved that. A team having won titles in the past doesn't mean they will win titles now. Look at Man U and Arsenal in europe both teams have been struggling. Your reasoning there is flawed at best.

I just choked on my cornflakes watching Steve Curry nearly having a breakdown on J Hill Sundays supplement.

My ratings for the season:

Cech- 10, I knew he was good but I didn't realise he was this good, the only blunder he made was in the 2-2 draw against Bolton but it didn't cost us the league.

Carlo- 6, really felt sorry for him after he got sent off against Newcastle

Terry -10, the guy is Mr Chelsea, outstanding and has going through the pain barrier in the last couple of months with the ijunry to his foot.

Carvallho 8 - not as good in the air as JT but didn't realise how fast he was.

Bridge- I am one of Waynes biggest fans but even prior the injury he wasn't like his usual self last year- 6

Ferriera- 7.5 After a sluggish start really did begin to show his defensive potenital

Johnson- 6, great going forward which was illustrated in the soton game a few weeks back but still suspect in defence

Gallas- 8.5- Even when played out of position has done the job, he's better at CB but he always gets back and defends, one big error of the season resulted in City getting the break for the penno.

Lamps- 9.5 - he's a machine he never gets injured, lots of assists and defensively good too, has some flaws in his game, but 18 goals in all comps isn't a bad tally.

Maka- 10, he's not the R Keane ball winner but he's always there in the right place, I doubted him after the monaco debacle but what a fantastic season he's had.

Cole- 8, an unbelievalbe second half of the season cut out the fancy tricks my MOTM in Munich.

Duff- 9, another good season, has got important goals, always tracks back.

Robben- 8, injuries have been his downfall but a fantastic purchase

Geremi- 6 after a decent start became out of favour, best pos is RB IMO

Smertin- 7, this fella deserves a bit of a shout, I think he's better than Tiago and can't understand how he lost that right hand side spot

Tiago- 6.5, solid but no where near as I throguht how good he was after his debut, too slow on the ball, makes wrong decisions but does work hard.

Jiri- 4 a bit of a disaster signing really, his only decent attribute is his height.

Gudjohnsen- 8- came right at the right time he's got soo much ability but sometimes especially the first dozen games failed to show. Best with ball played to feet.

Drogba- 7.5 It was between him and Morientes, and the latter wouldn't have been a long term purchase, doesn't have the pace I expected he had, clumsy on the ball but is a battering ram, always seems to rise in big games (carling cup final, the bridge against Munich. injury has disrupted his season an will have to cut out the constant moaning like yesterday

Kezman- 5, a bit of a disaster, at least he scored more than Sutton, but when I heard Charlton were sniffing around him in the summer I wasn't jumping for joy when he signed, looked good in America, not good since

Other members feel free to post your teams ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Lehmann - 6 - Made a few errors early on the season, but has been excellent as of late. I still can't understand why he was dropped after the 'Pool game though.
    Almunia - 4 - Disaster.
    Cole - 7 - Not at his best, and the tapping up business has completely ruined his popularity amongst Arsenal fans.
    Campbell - 6 - Injured more often than not.
    Toure - 7.5 - Poor when partnering Cygan, outstanding when partnering Senderos. Mixed season.
    Senderos - 8.5 - Tremendous impact, 11 clean sheets in his last 11 games for club and country. For a 20 year old, that is pretty damn good. Shame he only broke into the team late in the season.
    Lauren - 7 - Solid most of the time, but has been booked/sent off/should have sent off too many times.
    Pires - 7.5 - Nowhere near his best for most of the season but has chipped in with a lot of goals.
    Vieira - 7.5 - Off colour for the first half season, slowly improved in the second half and has been outstanding since Gilberto returned.
    Gilberto - Injured. Great before and after his injury though (Arsenal's best form of the season has come in both periods)
    Edu - Mostly injured too. It's a shame he's leaving, he's really developed in the last 2 years. He's a player with real class.
    Fabregas - 9 - Biggest plus of the season. Barcelona must feel sick every time they see him play.
    Flamini - 7.5 - Good solid player to have around, he'll be a very good player.
    Ljungberg - 7.5 - Good season.
    Henry - 9.5 - Not quite as good as last season, but still superb. Best attacker in the league by a mile.
    Bergkamp - 6.5 - Started superbly then really lost form. Won't be a starter next season.
    Van Persie - 7.5 - Glimpses of his potential, great goals against Blackburn (3 times) and Southampton.
    Reyes - 7 - Disappointing. Needs to settle and gain some confidence to fulfill his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

i think the whole mega billionaire owner with the bottomless pockets takes away from the true spirit of football. They are like a bunch of hired mercenaries hired to do a bank job or something
    I dont agree.
    The way football is now only the richest teams can succeed so unless you invest alot of money your team will never make it.
    Man Utd spent over 100m in the last few years and nobody said they were trying to buy the league.
    In this day and age the Spirit of Football is dead.
    95% of players are mercenaries who only care about fame and money.
    The true sign of a good team and manager is when you dont have much money to spend and you have to manage resources.
    I think Chelsea will obviously find it much tougher to win the league next year.
    This year most teams wanted to beat Arsenal as they were Champions but I feel the team most Premiership teams raise their game for is Man Utd due to historical reasons.
    Alot of teams didnt mind Chelsea winnin g the league.
    Next year it will be a different matter though.

• Advertisement

I can't believe I forgot S Parker, was doing well before he got injured- 6.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

smuckers wrote:
    And we should have done a few years back, thanks to Mr Guppy himself we we didn't Dubbery sub for Ferrer was silly out allotgether.

Read that about 11 times last night defintley best beer post ever.
    :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Must say, i enjoyed watching Chelski this season. Congrats to them, but i hope next season is a closer run, right to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ZENER wrote:

ZEN

SO your saying if liverpool matched chelsea contract offer he would stay at liverpool? i dont think so. He going for trophies(mainly the premiership, although if we win the CL he might well stay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Congratulations to Chelsea.

Here's hoping next season is closer run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

SO your saying if liverpool matched chelsea contract offer he would stay at liverpool? i dont think so. He going for trophies(mainly the premiership, although if we win the CL he might well stay)
    beating Chelsea is one thing, but Milan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Gangsta wrote:
    beating Chelsea is one thing, but Milan?

Yeah we will never beat Juventu errrr sorry i meant Mila but aren't they level on points in Serie A so guess beating one means you have just as much chance of beating the other.

Milans attacking force is more potent than Juve, Trezeguet vs Schevchenko? gimme a break, the fomer is really overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

opr wrote:
    Yeah we will never beat Juventu errrr sorry i meant Mila but aren't they level on points in Serie A so guess beating one means you have just as much chance of beating the other.

you beat an off form Juve well done, Milan are always consistant the only reason there level on points with Juve is because Juve had a brilliant start to the campaign and ended up going 8points ahead of them,Milan are much better than juve (THIS SEASON THAT IS :mad: ) so I highly doubt just cause you beat an off form Juve you can beat a brilliant Milan side playing at its best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's one match anything can happen. It's called football :)

An off Juventus side on both nights ? The win had nothing to do with how Liverpool played .......

Its funny that when we are talking about who should get into the Champions league next season the league table is the true indicator of what team should quailfy as this shows a teams true form over the season but when applied to AC and Juve you make up excuses for how much better Milan are and why the table does not show this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

opr wrote:
    An off Juventus side on both nights ? The win had nothing to do with how Liverpool played .......

Its funny that when we are talking about who should get into the Champions league next season the league table is the true indicator of what team should quailfy as this shows a teams true form over the season but when applied to AC and Juve you make up excuses for how much better Milan are and why the table does not show this :)

I thought it was pretty obvious that Juve were shocking against liverpool. In fact Real should have put Juventus out in the previous round. I don't know how Juve are still at the top in Italy. Juventus and Milan play each other in the San Siro next week and I expect that they'll be shown up. Milan are a better team.

David19 wrote:
    I thought it was pretty obvious that Juve were shocking against liverpool. In fact Real should have put Juventus out in the previous round. I don't know how Juve are still at the top in Italy. Juventus and Milan play each other in the San Siro next week and I expect that they'll be shown up. Milan are a better team.

First off Juve are not top in Italy Milan are.

Did you watch the Milan game against PSV by your logic that Real should have beaten Juventus. PSV should have beaten Milan or at least got a Draw.

I love arguing about this because none of you are giving Liverpool any chance of winning this competition as you haven't given us any chance since we need 3 goals against Olympiakos to progress.

I have only one thing to say to all of you at least we still have a chance :)

Oh and sorry about the off - thread topic went in to say Congratulations to Chelsea and ending up getting sidetracked ...

Hopefully as everyone has said we will getting a more exciting end to next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

opr wrote:
    First off Juve are not top in Italy Milan are.

Did you watch the Milan game against PSV by your logic that Real should have beaten Juventus. PSV should have beaten Milan or at least got a Draw.

I love arguing about this because none of you are giving Liverpool any chance of winning this competition as you haven't given us any chance since we need 3 goals against Olympiakos to progress.

I have only one thing to say to all of you at least we still have a chance :)

Milan are top on GD. There's only 1 goal in it.

PSV probably deserved a draw against Milan yeah. They were unable to finish though, milan were and they won. I think Juventus were lucky against Real, more lucky than Milan were against PSV.

Im not taking anything away from Liverpool, they've done very well. By drawing with Chelsea in Stamford Bridge they've shown they can compete at this level. Im just pointing out that beating Milan will take a lot more than beating Juventus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement