Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stevie's Goal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

sjones wrote:

definately a great goal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

the curl in the ball was amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Definite contender for goal of the season although I think Rooney and Edman will contest that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

It was a special goal alright but I'm not sure about Goal of the Season. Maybe but there have been some crackers this year — especially recently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Better than Edman's technique wise without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

What an amazing strike.Better than rooney's imo.

It will be a cracking competition this year. I think it might be between Rooney and Gerrard. For me, Rooney and Edman had a more difficult shot on than Gerrard but it will be a cracker of a comp. Also, there's gotta be some Henry in there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

i dont know, i like team work goals. like last year man utd scored this goal after 17 passes, i love that sorta thing. individual effort just isn't as cool imo

Good point. Is it just me or did goal of the season in the early Prem years feature more of that kind of goal, team efforts, sweet finishes etc. Recently it seems that long range screamers are all the rage. Maybe defences are tougher these days and players ar forced to master the long shot? Either way, it stil makes my day seeing a strike like any of the above mentioned ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

A cracker, i thought it was better than Rooney's, but i did quite like the way Wayne was arguing, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Very similar to Rooneys but Rooneys just seemed faster and more of a rocket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Yeah Rooney's was a net buster. I dunno though, I keep watching Stevie's goal and it's getting better and better each time I see it. I definately think it's a better goal. Unbelievable strike - if duff scored that we'd be saying goal of the century for irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

good goal
    it always seems that liverpool need a wonder goal to score....rarely a tap in (from what i see anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Arsenal have scored 60 odd goals this season pick any one for team goal of the season, Coles springs to mind.

Rooneys better imo for sheer power and no lay up or set up of any kind.
    Edmans 2nd for distance power and accuracy, Gerrards 3rd for technique.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

PHB wrote:
    i dont know, i like team work goals. like last year man utd scored this goal after 17 passes, i love that sorta thing. individual effort just isn't as cool imo

agreed. to this day one of the best man utd goals i have seen was a goal mark hughes scored against sheffield united in a cup game years back. i cant remember the amount of passes before the goal but it was a huge amount. beautiful move and finish.

Yeh, last year Saha scored this really great goal which reminded me of man united completely.
    Howard released the ball quickly to Ronaldo, who gave a perfect pass to Saha, who then powered up the pitch to score a 1 on 1.
    Those sorta team efforts, which aren't down to individual skill, but down entirly to team work, to everybody doing their job, are much much more impressive than an individual goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

There have been some great goals in the league but The best Chels goal in last few years is without a doubt Gudjohnsen's overhead kick against Leeds, the cross by Lamps, the finish perfection of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There were 2 goals I remember in the Man U 99 season...

One I think was in the CL when it was Yorke, Cole, Yorke, Cole etc etc and one of them put it away
    Another was when Beckham was bombing down the right and put an pin perfect cross onto Yorkes head in full stride..that was in the league

But my favourite still has to be Stevie G's goal against Man U at Anfield about 3-4 seasons back..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lex Luthor wrote:
    But my favourite still has to be Stevie G's goal against Man U at Anfield about 3-4 seasons back..

Best goal ever! :D

Lets not forget Niel Mellors screamer against Arsenal.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not a premier league goal this one, but from the Champions League.

What a goal, what a fabulous goal.

:D

www.shelbournefc.ie/features/Scouse.rm

Ah, the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Youssef Safri has to be in with a shot.

Gerrards goal deserved a thread of its own though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Anyone got link to that Safri goal still havent seen it.

Seansouth is that Chukwus goal?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, last year Saha scored this really great goal which reminded me of man united completely.
    Howard released the ball quickly to Ronaldo, who gave a perfect pass to Saha, who then powered up the pitch to score a 1 on 1.
    Those sorta team efforts, which aren't down to individual skill, but down entirly to team work, to everybody doing their job, are much much more impressive than an individual goal

Well if thats the case, the gerrards wasnt an individual goal. I've only seen it once in the pub, was it garcia who gave the 30 yard pass to him? , and where did garcia get the ball from. thats the same amount of passes as the utd goal you are describing.

seansouth wrote:
    Not a premier league goal this one, but from the Champions League.

What a goal, what a fabulous goal.

www.shelbournefc.ie/features/Scouse.rm

Ah, the memories.

Nice goal alright, i was behind the goal for that one, it was heading straight at me, it it had dipped over the bar I was getting it in the head. :)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Gerrards goal deserved a thread of its own though!

I think you'll find this thread is called "stevie's goal" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaC wrote:
    Anyone got link to that Safri goal still havent seen it.

Seansouth is that Chukwus goal?

kdjac

Nah, Davey Scouse's against Hajduk Split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Iv a feeling that goal will be the perfect antidote for stevie for tuesday night. Its been a while since he's had a big game performance in a big game, he was quiet last wednesday but come on how many of us phone in sick when we have a toothache!! But i have a feeling tuesday night he'll have a big say in the final result (and i dont mean carling cup style result!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

TOPDAWG wrote:
    Iv a feeling that goal will be the perfect antidote for stevie for tuesday night. Its been a while since he's had a big game performance in a big game, he was quiet last wednesday but come on how many of us phone in sick when we have a toothache!! But i have a feeling tuesday night he'll have a big say in the final result (and i dont mean carling cup style result!!)

God I hope your right. I'm starting to get goosebumps already thinking about the game on Tuesday. I'd love to see Gerard get the winner against Chelski. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

mellor's probably wins that award, not that its better but just the sheer drama of it all against the former ( :p ) champions.

in terms of technique, rooney wins it hands down.great goal by gerrard but it wasnt a winning goal which would have made it better.

• Advertisement

Its not about the number of passes to do it, its the idea of the type of football it shows. Gerrards goal was special because of his strike, the goal I was talking about was special because it personified counter attack football

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well garcia's in the CL was a great team effort sure the finish was immaculate but le tallec and baros pleyed lovely little dinked passe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

OT: I can't wait for the game on Tuesday, and I support man united. I'd love to see Liverpool do well, I've always felt they are a side that deserve to do well, and a side that have thru and thru supporters, no matter what happens them, I've been supporting man united since the mid 80's, but united have too many plastic supporters.

Advertisement