Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lord Of The Poop

• 30-04-2005 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Right, the lord of the rings trilogy are the worst films ever invented. come on like, the final battle scene in the third film goes on for 6 hours, 18 on the extended versions, and then a green goop(supposed ghosts) of some sort comes along and clears the baddies within 3 seconds, what aload of POO, peter jackson clearly hasnt seen pirates of the carribean, take note of the ghosts in it, they look good. how the hell did they trust him to make the king kong remake, they obviously havent seen his earlier work(bad taste) which hasnt changed that much. right im done given out, now come on ye geeks, take me on, i dare ye. by the way the matrix trilogy rules, now theres a trilogy for people who can determine their own mind, unlike the loosers who follow the hype behind lotr or should i abrieviate lotp

Comments

I thought I was the only one that hated the LOTR trilogy and loved the Matrix trilogy. You are my God!!!! I kneel before you! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

i R baboon wrote:
    Right, the lord of the rings trilogy are the worst films ever invented. come on like, the final battle scene in the third film goes on for 6 hours, 18 on the extended versions, and then a green goop(supposed ghosts) of some sort comes along and clears the baddies within 3 seconds, what aload of POO, peter jackson clearly hasnt seen pirates of the carribean, take note of the ghosts in it, they look good. how the hell did they trust him to make the king kong remake, they obviously havent seen his earlier work(bad taste) which hasnt changed that much. right im done given out, now come on ye geeks, take me on, i dare ye. by the way the matrix trilogy rules, now theres a trilogy for people who can determine their own mind, unlike the loosers who follow the hype behind lotr or should i abrieviate lotp

Read the books maybe you would enjoy them more?

Read the books maybe you would enjoy them more?

Most LOTR fans can't even stand the books. What are the odds that he/she will?

Most lotr fans i know would of actually rathered more material from the books that was left out be included. Its basically epic fantasy at its best. For this type of genre nothing comes close.

Some of my friends who didnt like it were only going to see it for a quick fix of entertainment and were obviously disapointed by what they called its longwindedness. Then when they found out fellowship of the rings was the first part of the trilogy any interest went straight out the window.

Personally i found reading the books after watching the films very rewarding and made me appreciate the films all the more. At the end of the day not everyone is going to like it and thats fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

If you have to read a book to "understand" a 'good' film, then it isn't actually a good film at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Less a review, more of a discussion, so moved to film main.

NoelRock wrote:
    If you have to read a book to "understand" a 'good' film, then it isn't actually a good film at all.

I watched the films long before i read the books and i understood fully what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone that uses the word 'poop' is automatically wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

That makes no sense what so ever.

I thought that most Lord of the Rings fans were raised on the book. I was anyways, been reading it on a yearly basis since I was eight or nine.

The films are an adaptation, it would be imposssible to include everything from the book. It's easily one of the best adaptation I have ever seen. It's right up there with Throne of Blood.

And it's not a trilogy it's one book.

• Advertisement

Makaveli wrote:
    That makes no sense what so ever.

I thought we were being sarcastic. :o If we weren't, then I apologise. I am a big fan of LOTR. I still have the last book to read though. I've been enjoying them so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Where'd you get that idea from? As usual, the books were wayyy better than the film. For instance, the bond between Frodo and Sam is the film made me just wonder when they were going to kiss - whereas in the book the characters are much better put across (unsurprisingly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Less a review, more of a discussion, so moved to film main.
    Judging by the way this thread is going... it'd probably be better to move it to Literature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I thought I was the only one that hated the LOTR trilogy and loved the Matrix trilogy. You are my God!!!! I kneel before you! :p
    I thought I was the only one! I love you both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

while personnally i couldnt stomach the books (go to pms if your disgusted with me and want justification) i did enjoy the films to an extent, more as aesthetic masterpieces then anything else. But i must agree that the army of the dead was disapointing. And i feel of the 3 the first film is the best. then probably the third and the second last. But they are still highly entertaining and beutiful films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I saw the 3 films once each when they were in cinemas but only read the book a year ago.

The weird thing is now that whilst the image I have of the characters is exactly that of the actors who play them in the Jackson movies, the image of the scenes situations in my head are are still purely my own mental images from Tolkiens written words in the books i.e. I have barely any visual reccollection of what went on in the 3 films, what the characters saw, who they met, the battles etc.

Now rest assured I was paying full attention (and I wasn't toking on any of Gandalfs 'special herbs' either!) when I saw the films so that for me would suggest that they didn't engage me on anything other than a superficial level at the time and as such (for me anyway) failed in succeeding as a series of films in their own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i R baboon wrote:
    ..... by the way the matrix trilogy rules, now theres a trilogy for people who can determine their own mind, unlike the loosers who follow the hype behind lotr or should i abrieviate lotp

TBH, I agree with alot of your criticism till you say the matrix trilogy rules :eek: I really enjoyed the first part and some of the action scenes from the sequels....I even have an apu
    http://store1.yimg.com/I/cmdstore_1843_52091670

But the sequels were bad bad movies....apallingly self indulgent twaddle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

As ive said before all they do in every film is walk around the mountains for 3 hours or 62 hours if you waste your cash on the extended edition "ooh look heres a tree that we left out of the original shot" PI$$ OFF JACKSON!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

well topdawg.. no one is being forced to "waste" their cash on the extended editions.. i bought them because i enjoyed the movies and i wanted to see more of them... and if you actually watched them you'd realise there's a lot more to it then putting in extra "trees", as you so eloquently put it.

as regards the matrix, i loved the first one, its one of my favourite films, but the second and third ones are just excruciatingly painful to watch.. i was tempted to ask for a refund after the third one (what was it called, the matrix regurgitated or summat).. i remember i went to see the second one, and after is said to some guy who was next to me "what just happened there>"

"no fcuking idea" was his answer.. how i laughed, then cried as i remembered i spent 7 euro and two and a half hours of my life watching it.. no matter how hard i've tried i still cant get those hours back..

not gettin into this again dude.

• Advertisement

TOPDAWG, if all you're going to do is post trollish remarks, then keep it to yourself. If you don't like the film, the least you can do is critisize it on actual points, rather than childish blithering about 62 hours of walking around mountains.

Here's some genuine criticism of the 3rd film btw.

Look i have gone into it in more depth beforehand as to why i dont like it and why i think the extended editions are nothing but a moneyspinning racket with others and if you see my following post i said im not getting into it again. I dont like it, others do and im not trying to change anyones opinion. One mans meat is another mans poison.

TOPDAWG wrote:
    Look i have gone into it in more depth beforehand as to why i dont like it and why i think the extended editions are nothing but a moneyspinning racket with others and if you see my following post i said im not getting into it again. I dont like it, others do and im not trying to change anyones opinion. One mans meat is another mans poison.

Then by that logic why did you even bother to post in the first place? Not to mention with such a blatantly trollish post.

yeah granted i put in two lines on what i think the film is but plenty of others are stickin in one or two line posts but because i stick in a negative one its seen as trolling. whats that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Seeing the Lord of the Rings being criticized on any forum is always an ample oppurtunity to bring up Dr. Albert Oxford PHD's review of the three films. Well worth a read:link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Notwithstanding the fact that the thread started with puerile ramblings I am most amused by the lack of free will expressed by some posters.
    Why would you choose to watch something that causes you pain ?

There are better things to do with 3 hours of your life.
    In my case and seeing as it has been mentioned, I watched Matrix 1 and loved it. I saw 2 and thought it was so awful that I have never been tempted to see the last installament.

So why go and see another one if what you've seen is so bad that it keep you awake at night ?
    In the end it is only a film, an entertainment and we are all entertained in different ways. There are more important things in life. Like the exercise of FREE WILL :rolleyes:

is_that_so wrote:
    Notwithstanding the fact that the thread started with puerile ramblings I am most amused by the lack of free will expressed by some posters.
    Why would you choose to watch something that causes you pain ?

There are better things to do with 3 hours of your life.
    In my case and seeing as it has been mentioned, I watched Matrix 1 and loved it. I saw 2 and thought it was so awful that I have never been tempted to see the last installament.

So why go and see another one if what you've seen is so bad that it keep you awake at night ?
    In the end it is only a film, an entertainment and we are all entertained in different ways. There are more important things in life. Like the exercise of FREE WILL :rolleyes:

I aint "trollin" here, just making a resonse to the free will thing. I too am amused by people who dont exercise it. But just to clear up i saw the first one after hearing all the reviews on it, i didnt like it and had no intention of seeing the second one but the girl i was with at the time it was her turn to pick out the flick and it was either sit thro it for 3 hours or go home alone that night!! And i didnt bother going see the 3rd one or rent it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Well having read the book,I loved all three films!

I'm off work tomorrow and was going to watch Battlestar Galactica but now I think I will watch the LOTR trilogy again.

I have an ample supply of fizzy drink's and popcorn so I should last the day!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

matrix 2 and 3 were poop, perter jackson is god

that is all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I'll Crush Your Bones To Make My Bread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

i R baboon wrote:

What a compelling and intriguing argument, calling it lord of the poop. lord it's just, well so witty.

What a brillant post "LOTR suxs, matrix RULS OK" Also the "loosers" part is well genius..........

Criticize it, discuss the fact that gandalf's roaming in the two towers across gleaming NZ scenery looks like nothing else than a glorified timota commercial.

Write a compelling criticism, talk about the structure (saying has he not seen pirates is like "did he not realise that bruckhemier might do something similar a with a release a few months after he released the final part of a trilogy he's been planning for half decade, is not criticism)

Finally the matrix trilogy, two films trying to expand the phenomnially dubious pseudo philosophy of the first. I spent the last hour of the matrix going "I'm looking at the end sequence of a computer game, only I'm less emotionaly involved".

Such illuminating criticism I'm pretty sure Alexander Walker could still hold onto his job in face of such competition. And he's been dead years now*

*In short in case you missed the point, I'm suggesting a corpse could do better, and offers an opinion and more illumanting commentary than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 i R baboon

What a compelling and intriguing argument, calling it lord of the poop. lord it's just, well so witty.

What a brillant post "LOTR suxs, matrix RULS OK" Also the "loosers" part is well genius..........

Criticize it, discuss the fact that gandalf's roaming in the two towers across gleaming NZ scenery looks like nothing else than a glorified timota commercial.

Write a compelling criticism, talk about the structure (saying has he not seen pirates is like "did he not realise that bruckhemier might do something similar a with a release a few months after he released the final part of a trilogy he's been planning for half decade, is not criticism)

Finally the matrix trilogy, two films trying to expand the phenomnially dubious pseudo philosophy of the first. I spent the last hour of the matrix going "I'm looking at the end sequence of a computer game, only I'm less emotionaly involved".

Such illuminating criticism I'm pretty sure Alexander Walker could still hold onto his job in face of such competition. And he's been dead years now*

*In short in case you missed the point, I'm suggesting a corpse could do better, and offers an opinion and more illumanting commentary than you.

hahahahahahaha...........................................your one of them, one of the critics that claimed lotp was an epic. ya see i got given out to for insulting people (which i apologised for) but this fella gets away with it cause he uses words like illuminating and phenomnially dubious, by the way you used illuminating twice which is not a good way to keep your audience captivated and you spelt it wrong the second time. anyway kind sir, thank you for your insightful insults, i am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. by the way you got off the point of the conversation and decided to take a pop at my literary skills, so put your dictionary away and keep it real.

Well this is going absolutely nowhere, aside from a parry of words that has nothing to do with LOTR at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement