Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another "Your fave <insert>"

Options
  • 01-05-2005 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Something that has really made the later FF's that little bit special have been the Summons/Aeons/Guardian Forces whatever you want to call them. But which do you think were the best?

One of my faves has to be Odin in Final Fantasy VII, he seemed a little off in the following games but he was a must-have in VII.

Shiva in Final Fantasy X was the only incarnation of that classic character that I liked. She was cooler (no pun intended) and looked alot better.

Carbuncle in Final Fantasy VIII was another of my faves. Got me out of trouble sooooo many times.

Leviathen in Final Fantasy IX (it think it was) was excellent, though my mate doesn't think so.

There are a few others but I'll not get into them now

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always liked the bahamut summons. Lots of over the top explosions. I remember when I had got FFVII first and every time I got a new summon calling my brother over to have a look at it.

I hated all the FFVIII summons. If you didn't abuse the draw system you had to use them constantly and their over long animations annoyed me. If you used the draw system correctly they were absolutely useless since the main characters could dish out far more damage.

The best use of summons was FFX. I love the way it completely changed the method and flow of battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i liked the way you could control your aeons in X, i felt that was a nice touch

knights of the round were good in VII and odin was good in IX, i disliked any form of summoning in the ones before VII

i disliked the junctioning in VIII because it made the game so easy it was a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I always liked the bahamut summons. Lots of over the top explosions. I remember when I had got FFVII first and every time I got a new summon calling my brother over to have a look at it.

I hated all the FFVIII summons. If you didn't abuse the draw system you had to use them constantly and their over long animations annoyed me. If you used the draw system correctly they were absolutely useless since the main characters could dish out far more damage.

The best use of summons was FFX. I love the way it completely changed the method and flow of battle.
    all you had to do was set the summons to short and everyting was shorter once you had seen the long first one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

yea, bahamuts were the best.
    you just cant beat a big stinkin laser from a dragons gob.

neo bahamut was my personal favourite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Bahamut ZERO will always be the best. closely followed by Alexander of FFVIII. i think it was FFVIII anyway....couldve been X.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

all you had to do was set the summons to short and everyting was shorter once you had seen the long first one

Except if you wanted to boost them to get extra damage. Anyway the short summon animation option was only available in FFIX and afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ninja Turtle

I liked Diablo from FFVIII. Looked cool, and his no encounter ability made trying to finish the game on the lowest possible level a godsend. I liked yojimbo from X as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Engel

Shiva has always been one of my favs, ever since I stared playing, when I was a kid. Bahamut always gave out the most damage so he was also cool. But shiva just kicks everyones a***, and shes so pretty in x! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

acri wrote:
    Bahamut ZERO will always be the best. closely followed by Alexander of FFVIII. i think it was FFVIII anyway....couldve been X.

He's in VIII and IX. I think the cut scence in IX of Alexander is amazing. However I don't remember (though I missed one or two aeons) him in X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

grimloch wrote:
    i liked the way you could control your aeons in X, i felt that was a nice touch

knights of the round were good in VII and odin was good in IX, i disliked any form of summoning in the ones before VII

i disliked the junctioning in VIII because it made the game so easy it was a joke

I always felt like I was cheating using Knights of the Round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Q_Elexra wrote:
    I always felt like I was cheating using Knights of the Round.

Ever use that with the mime materia to beat the crap out of emerald weapon?

i know i certainly did, same with ruby too

if you have another way of beating emerald without a deal of hassle i wouldnt mind hearing it

grimloch wrote:
    i know i certainly did, same with ruby too

How'd you defeat ruby? If you used knights of the round on him wouldn't he automatically retailiate with ultima?

let me see, if i can cast my mind back,

unless im mistaken i did use it and i dont recall any ultima retaliation

that being said i could be wrong, im not sure now....ill get back to you on it

I'm pretty sure of it though. I remember hitting that S.O.B with Knights of the Round before and he retaliated with Ultima.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I think it's fair to say the Chocobo summons from FF7 was the be-all end-all of summons.

right i think i used hades to stop him and then casting knights when he couldnt do anything to stop me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I thought anima from X was great, and bahamut zero and knights of the round from VII. And eden from VIII was kinda cool too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ninja Turtle

ghostchant wrote:
    I thought anima from X was great, and bahamut zero and knights of the round from VII. And eden from VIII was kinda cool too

Gawd, how I hated Eden. During the summoning animation, I could leave the PS, make my lunch, eat it, have a quick nap, watch some tv, come back and still have time to boost eden to full power. I didn't mind the length of most GF animations tbh, but eden was ridiculous! Still, different strokes for different folks I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Gawd, how I hated Eden. During the summoning animation, I could leave the PS, make my lunch, eat it, have a quick nap, watch some tv, come back and still have time to boost eden to full power. I didn't mind the length of most GF animations tbh, but eden was ridiculous! Still, different strokes for different folks I suppose :)

ha ha yeah i thought someone would mention that and you're right it got really annoying after the first couple of times but it was cool for impressing my friends. Still, it didn't do much damage considering you took the enemy to another dimension or something :)

• Advertisement

Infini wrote:
    Ever use that with the mime materia to beat the crap out of emerald weapon?

as far as i remember, kotr was the only summon that you couldn't mime.
    i could be lying tho........

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Nope, think your right. Don't think you could mime it.

You could mime revive though couldn't you??

are you sure you cant mime kotr?

im pretty sure you could, god my memory is hazy of that game

kotr is mime-able.

ah now i remember, you couldnt w-summon kotr!

Retr0gamer wrote:
    kotr is mime-able.

as i thought,

glad im not going mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

To beat Emerald WEAPON, i used W-Summon and Knights of the Round and then had Tifa use Mime. I also had someone on Final-Attack Full-Life I think it was. bottom line was I was invincible. There mustve been a catch though coz I could never beat Ruby WEAPON. What a game....

ruby weapon was the easier of the 2. The trick was to enter the fight with only one character alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Chocobuckle in FF7 was most excellent but Shiva has always been my favourite summon in any FF game... i dont know why, she just always tops my list for no apparant reason, her FF8 appearance was particularly great but the FF10 one was spoiled by the
    dark aeon version of her

• Advertisement

Rhyme wrote:
    Chocobuckle in FF7 was most excellent but Shiva has always been my favourite summon in any FF game... i dont know why, she just always tops my list for no apparant reason, her FF8 appearance was particularly great but the FF10 one was spoiled by the
    dark aeon version of her

i found the
    dark version of her
    to be a very entertaining and challenging fight, id hardly say it ruined her

Advertisement