Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free SMS

Options
  • 01-05-2005 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hey i dont know where to put this but your the programmers so maybe you will know.

Basically a few Qs on the idea of sms, basically when somebody uses there phone to send a message they use a message centre number, basically this is the number where your message goes to before forwarding to the recipient. this server also charges you.

Is it possibly to set up your own server and assign that a mobile number and change the message centre number on your phone to this somehow and enable message forwarding on it so that you can now send SMS for free? Also is this legal?

I know that there was message centre numbers floating about years ago but i was only a kid and didnt realise the significance of it.

Also how hard would this be to do and what sort of costs are involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Setting up an SMSC (Short Message Service Center) isn't trivial.
    There is an open source project Kannel that provides a WAP and SMSC Gateway.

Even if you setup the SMSC, you still have to get access to an operators mobile network. There is Parlay but it isn't intented 'for individual use' and I don't know at what stage the implementation is at.

But there are SMSC numbers floating around the ethernet that provide free SMS texts, I don't know if there are any for Irish operators, and even if I did know, I'd tell you I don't know :p I'd probably tell you to pay for your texts or use the free ones that you get online anyway ;)

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Thanks for the info!!!

Advertisement