Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10-22

Options
  • 01-05-2005 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Are they all heaps of steaming dung.....or is it just mine?
    Seems to have the grouping ability of a shotgun.
    Anyone got one?
    What mods/improvements did you make?

nn
    V
    i
    i

e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You'll find loads of info on the 10/22 at RimfireCentral.com.
    I don't own one, and haven't even fired one, but I've never been impressed by them when I've played with them in the gun shops.
    They're probably the most modified .22 rifle ever, but most of the people on RimfireCentral appear to have replaced pretty much everything but the receiver to arrive at the gun they want.
    There's bound to be someone here who actually has one though, so take my thoughts as the speculation of the uninformed if they come along and contradict me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Vinniew

Yeah Rovi, been on the site before, just wanted to know if anyone had experience from new-ish as to how "accurate" they are.
    Bought one for Gallery shootin......rattles like two skeletons making whoopy on a tin roof.....looks like wear on the receiver but seemingly that's normal enough as they are a bit "course" from construction....and as the receiver is the only part stamped with serial no.s it would make changing it more hassel than it's worth.....oh yeah and rimfire magic don't have an export license anymore.....so you can't order direct

Cheers for the suggestion
    Vinni e (feck....another flyer!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Longslide45

Usually rated as theAK47 of the 22world.
    Did you buy it from new?Or second hand?If new ,take it back and get a replacement or overhaul.You say newish,if it was a second hand unit maybe the previous owner fu%^&d it over,somhow.What is exactly rattling on it?
    Buy the replacement parts in the US as you will save alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I have one.
    What can I say, it's semi auto therefore lots of movement and less accuracy. At 50 metres I get a grouping of about 1 inch around the bull even using a rest/bi-pod.
    I've used ones with bolt buffers that reduce the movement considerably.
    I have a basic s/steel finished model, I've added the larger mag release, threaded the barrell, and modified the bolt release so that you can pull the bolt to the rear to release it.
    I know people with the bullpup version and they can get some very good scores.
    Overall a great fun gun, tons of accessories, folding stocks, 25 round..even 50 round mags available! But no where near as accurate as a bolt action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Great Weapon I have one with a Muzzlelite Adapted Bullpup stock, this particular one can take 25rd and even 50 rd mags not that 50 rnd mags would be pratical.

They are a great vermin weapon and plinker ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

As they come from the factory (except the trarget model) they are fairly rubbish. In my own case, the addition of about EUR700 worth of bits made it shoot brilliantly - carbon fibre barrel and trigger replacement parts.

Best sei-auto rifle I've seen out of the box is the CZ511.

Nah...mine's been owned before......
    hmmmm.....700euro to improve a 500euro rifle....seems a bit extreme.......
    Maybe I'll just do the barrel and recoil buffer...maybe the trigger group too...

OR maybe look for something more accurate....e.g. the CZ

Anyone hear anything about the Anshutz 525 semi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Vinniew wrote:
    Anyone hear anything about the Anshutz 525 semi?
    <Rovi raises hand>
    Me, me, me!!!

I've got one, second from the bottom here-
    4t12ww

It's a decent enough little shooter, but don't let the Anschutz name fool you. The receiver is made of some sort of alloy (not steel) by Marocchi (not sure about the rest of the gun), and while it looks and feels nice, it's not in the same league as the Anschutz built bolt actions and target guns.
    Like most semi-autos, it's fussy about ammo. It likes good quality high velocity best, jamming more frequently than I'd like with poor quality/inconsistent stuff (Eley!!!).
    The barrel/fore-end are held in the receiver by a single big screw which has a tendency to loosen. Sometime in the late '90s this screw was changed from a 'coin' type to an Allen head, so it can be tightened to 11Nm (10.3lbf-ft).
    Groups get 'interesting' if the gun isn't kept tight :)

Definitely NOT a benchrest gun, but a nice plinker/rabbit gun.

Czech ( :D ) out the CZ 511. It gets a lot of favourable comment when to conversation turns to rimfire semi-autos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

woody wrote:
    Great Weapon I have one with a Muzzlelite Adapted Bullpup stock, this particular one can take 25rd and even 50 rd mags not that 50 rnd mags would be pratical.

They are a great vermin weapon and plinker ;)
    where did you get the stock from if you dont mind me asking?have you any pics.interested in getting a new stock undecided on whether to get a bullpup, a druganov style or a hogue over molded rubberised stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Hold out for a bit on getting a new stock as these are going to be available soon!

South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies

Stock Manufacturer

Something a lot of .22 autoloader owners have been waiting for! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

is it still legal to change the mag size and stock etc cuz some of the mods ive seen for the 10/22 make it look like an assault rifle :D lol i no the gun is still the same cal. as its like putting a mini engine into a farrari but id like to see the look on my local super nitendo :P if he give me a license for a 10/22 and saw this!
    DSCN0430.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, the receiver is the same, the magazine size isn't listed in the legislation, the calibre isn't changed, and while you're changing the barrel, that's something you do for every gun so it's covered in law well enough (even ISSF rifles get barrels changed occasionally). Since everything else is cosmetic, it's fine. (Except in the US, of course, where "assault rifle" was legally defined for many years on the basis of cosmetic features - rather confusingly since "assault rifle" already had a different definition).

Just remember, when the missus mutters "boys and their toys", you really don't have any comeback at all this time :D But what the hell. If you want to shoot gallery rifle with something that looks a bit different, it's not hurting anyone, right?

Besides, some of those thumbhole laminate stocks are really, well, pretty:
    DSCN0522.JPG
    (ie., you can buy the missus one as well, and get her down to the range to shoot with you. End result - more time on the range!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

guess guns can be fashionable too :D i hear the rainbow stock is in this year :)

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    guess guns can be fashionable too :D i hear the rainbow stock is in this year :)
    I know it's funny, but seriously, don't laugh - have you noticed that noone buys olympic shooting jackets in plain 1970s earth colours anymore? An olympic firing line these days is like a lineup of harlequin costumes at times - which is great for PR. Plus, it looks much more friendly and approachable to junior shooters and their parents, compared to a group of gruff-looking guys in their forties dressed in camo suits, no matter how the two groups actually are.

hmmmmmm......am now the proud owner of a shiney new Ruger....parted company with the old one on Saturday and hope to pick up the new one during the week once the license gets updated.....stainless steel "all weather" model.....feels a lot tighter action wise. Will have to see if it makes any difference.

Any suggestions on optics suitable for gallery style shooting?
    Something with a large field of view to allow quick target acquisition....graduated reticle....but not too expensive as Visa Ireland reckon I've already spent too much on my hobby this year ;-)

Vinnie

Are you allowed use red dot sights for gallery rifle?

Advertisement