Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Server 2003 has no suspend option

• 01-05-2005 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this is a noodle scratcher.

I have no option to put my server into suspend mode. The Hibernate option is there, but that's not ideal, since you have to hit the power button to bring it out of hibernation. But the server can be sitting idle for hours at a time, so I don't want it eating up power.
    The BIOS has the S1 and S3 power states enabled.

Motherboard is an ABIT VA-20

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you tried holding down the shift key?

Works on XP, might be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hold down shift when? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

afaik Windows 2003 doesn't have the suspend feature in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

seamus wrote:
    But the server can be sitting idle for hours at a time, so I don't want it eating up power.

Is electricity very expensive where your server is located or something... Or are you running a server OS on your laptop??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why does it even have a hibernate option - is this to allow you to physically move the server or something ?

Ranks up there with the guy who wanted NLM's for a novell server laptop because they used to put it the safe overnight.

Another option that I haven't got working would be to setup the BIOS to wake up on Lan, shutdown the server and use magic packets to wake it up

AMD MagicPacket software
    Advanced IP Scanner

• Advertisement

jdempsey wrote:
    Is electricity very expensive where your server is located or something... Or are you running a server OS on your laptop??
    No, but there's no point in wastage.

CM, I had an extensive look, and I'm fairly sure my Motherboard doesn't support Wake on LAN. Which is a bit of a pain. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ive a feeling this aint a server

Might be some help on google - http://www.google.ie/search?q=windows+2003+workstation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

seamus wrote:
    Right, this is a noodle scratcher.

I have no option to put my server into suspend mode. The Hibernate option is there, but that's not ideal, since you have to hit the power button to bring it out of hibernation. But the server can be sitting idle for hours at a time, so I don't want it eating up power.
    The BIOS has the S1 and S3 power states enabled.

Motherboard is an ABIT VA-20

Any ideas?

Well of course it doesn't. It's a server. To be honest, if you're worried about the the thing's power consumption, maybe you shouldn't be running such a mind-numbingly expensive OS? :)

Anyway, servers are normally expected to be on all the time. What are you doing with it? :)

rsynnott wrote:
    Well of course it doesn't. It's a server. To be honest, if you're worried about the the thing's power consumption, maybe you shouldn't be running such a mind-numbingly expensive OS? :)

Anyway, servers are normally expected to be on all the time. What are you doing with it? :)
    Heh, thought I'd mentioned it. It's connected to the home network. Does general filesharing duties, DHCP, web services for my own development, database server, etc.

It doesn't get all that much use though, spends most of the night and working day sitting idle. I suppose I could install folding @ home and some of those other "idle CPU time" users on it.

Microsoft's KB mentions suspend on the OS....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

seamus wrote:
    Hold down shift when? :)

You know how you select Start->Shutdown on Windows XP, a window appears with three options - Suspend, Shutdown and Switch User. If you hold down shift, Suspend changes to Hibernate. Click on it and off to sleep it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

seamus wrote:
    Heh, thought I'd mentioned it. It's connected to the home network. Does general filesharing duties, DHCP, web services for my own development, database server, etc.

It doesn't get all that much use though, spends most of the night and working day sitting idle. I suppose I could install folding @ home and some of those other "idle CPU time" users on it.

Microsoft's KB mentions suspend on the OS....

Unless it's huge, it prob'ly doesn't use a dramatic amount of energy, compared to say a light bulb...

Advertisement