Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villa - How will the money go?

• 01-05-2005 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I did a search and couldn't find any threads.

Basically Deadly Doug is dipping deep and providing Dave with a figure in the region of 15-20m to spend this summer. Now assuming th existing squad don't go mental requesting wage increases, where should and could this money go?

I believe they certainly need a right-back, a striker, a centre-half and possibly an attacking midfielder.

I don't rate De La Cruz at full-back, he's an outside right that has been stuck there out of necessity. Trouble is, quality full-backs are like hens teeth nowadays, with a fair bit of the talent being close to or in their 30s and established at a club.

Hitzlsperger is gone back to Germany, but there is still Benson, Djemba-Djemba, Barry and McCann there as angry men in midfield, but save for Solano and possibly young Davis, there is naf all flare or creativity.

We need another centre-half. If either Mellberg or Laursen get injured next season we're screwed. Ridgewell is just not up to the standard.

Best case scenario, up front, would be if they were to off-load Vassell for a few million and go after a quality striker to play along side Angel.

As for players that I think COULD come to Villa Park this summer:

Geremi, Scott Parker, Andy Johnson, Robbie Keane, Alan Smith, Kevin Phillips, Kanu, Yakubu, Dado Prso or possibly extending Cole's loan or actually signing him.

(Obviously not all of the above)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd say you've got a chance at Kanu, Philips, Yakubu, Prso, Johnson
    I doubt Geremi, Parker, or Smith would join Villa.
    I figure that the goal of all midtable clubs is to pick up the chelsea summer reject. But then there will be a lot of compo for them i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Alan Smith is not leaving Man Utd. Ferguson would be a ****ing maniac to get rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Not to get sidetracked, but he hasn't had a shot on target, or in some matches a shot, in the last 4 games, and 2 previous reserves games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Who says Ferguson will be the one selling him! Muhahahaha... I'd much prefer to see Phillips or Yakubu signed or maybe Prso, but it's so hard to judge a players quality when they shine in the SPL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Keane seems to be a target for O'Leary! not sure why! would be better for him to go to Everton(if moving) where he will be the Big Un little Un with Beattie!

Maybe O'Brien will move! Souness hasnt got rid of an Irish man from Newcastle yet so must be driving him mad! O'Brien will prob go in summer and Villa where already interested in Jan......

Apart from that there doesnt seem to be many rumours about....think everyone in papers have forgot about Villas money! wait till Sun remembers and you will see every player in League linked with them.....maybe Ronaldo? lol

Edit
    Forgot to mention they have there eyes on Patrik Berger and Dado Prso....Berger is a free and Prso could be got in the region of 4mil....prob going after Prso because lost in race for Beattie....maybe Keane would be a perfect foil for him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Neil3030 wrote:
    maybe Prso, but it's so hard to judge a players quality when they shine in the SPL.

He was class at Monaco before hand. Think he'd be good in england, big strong center forward, wouldn't have too much hasle getting used to the physicality in england and obviously a pretty good technical player to score a bagfull in champs league last season, think he was only monaco's 3rd highest scorer, but that Was behind Morientes and Giuly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

id imagine if keane is to leave spurs that oleary would snap him up. has it been confirmed that villa will have this to spend? i thought things were alot tighter than that at villa park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

would villa really want to spend 7 or 8 million on a striker that cannot score in a one on one situation?

would they want to spend that money on a single player actually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

would villa really want to spend 7 or 8 million on a striker that cannot score in a one on one situation?

would they want to spend that money on a single player actually?

if you are referring to keane...

although i rate keane as irelands best striker i really dont rate him as top stiker in terms of the premiership but over the years many clubs have been willing to splash the cash on him with o leary been one of the culprits.

Spurs paided 6 million for him adn I think Villa would prob get him for around 4 mil....the days of mental transfer fees are gone....cant see them spending over 5 million which in my terms is a great deal....if they get Prso as well then they will have a great pairing up front....Keane needs a big man beside him...i.e. Quinn.....he works better that way...I dont count Kanoute as a big man because from what I can see he isnt a good header of the ball for the flick on that Keane loves.......

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    I dont count Kanoute as a big man because from what I can see he isnt a good header of the ball for the flick on that Keane loves.......

you obviously didnt see him help destroy villa on sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Villa destoyed themselves! :(

As for the money issues. I don't know what he can do. I don't want to see the bringing of players liek Berger, he's good, but nearly 32, and we'd have to pay maybe 3 million for him, insanity!

I can't see Keane wanting to go to any club DOL is managing after they way he never played him at Leeds.

Villa NEED a class striker, attacking midfielder, and more defence.

and a thinner reserve keeper :)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Forwards should be a priority for next season We should go after Andy Johnson or Yakubu

you obviously didnt see him help destroy villa on sunday :)

How you make out that Kanoute distroyed them? I think Villa first of all played terrible....one of there worse displays in years.....also it was Spurs midfield that distroyed them.....First goal was dodgy defending from that young fellow(cant rememnber his name...Ridgewell?) and was a bit of a fluky goal....punt up the middle and he gets onto end....good finish but where was no flick on which I mentioned? which is what Keane is best at....as I mentioned....

Also Keane made the second goal for him....only Keane was fouled and the ball fell to him to score it was a peno

Where was he for rest of game? I didnt see him.....anyway Reid was the best player on the pitch and rightly got MoM......

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    As for the money issues. I don't know what he can do. I don't want to see the bringing of players liek Berger, he's good, but nearly 32, and we'd have to pay maybe 3 million for him, insanity!

As mentioned above Berger is on a free so you pay nothing!!! thats probably why!! decent enought left midfielder which could replace "the hammer" who is going to Germany from what I heard last!!

Yeah Tommy's on the way to germany.

No fee is a good thing. But Bergers still likely to be requesting insane wages, and tbh, I'd rather they spent the money on younger talent, with not to insane wage requests. Honestly, I just don't think Bergers good enough. Great shot on him, but like Hitzelsperger, thats all.

Yeah Tommy's on the way to germany.

No fee is a good thing. But Bergers still likely to be requesting insane wages, and tbh, I'd rather they spent the money on younger talent, with not to insane wage requests. Honestly, I just don't think Bergers good enough. Great shot on him, but like Hitzelsperger, thats all.

Better crosser of the ball and his distribution is alot better that Hitzelspergers......can see Villa getting 2-3 years play from him and from what I hear they have some great players on the way up in midfield..e.g Davies(sp) so that will give them time to blood them........cant see insane wages because if he is on more than 10-20k a week with portsmouth I would be surprised...they are a low budget club.....think Villa have put a cap on wages now anyway after all the problems they have had in the past...Babalan(sp) was on something crazy and played only 2-3 games.....

• Advertisement

Balaban ended up costing Villa like 11m (excluding wages), and made I think 2 substitue appearances.

Balaban ended up costing Villa like 11m (excluding wages), and made I think 2 substitue appearances.

This is what they dont want happening again.....Berger is established player
    in PL and wouldnt be that much of a rish.....could turn out like the Solano transfer.....Solano must be pushing 32 now and has been one of hte players of the season for Villa....

Solano is 30 (I think), and yes, my Villa player of the season! Outstanding he has been! Davis will be even greater next year! And Cahills loan at Burnley was a huge success, he's one to watch.

Advertisement