Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predator 2

• 01-05-2005 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else bought this recently?

Its one of those movies I'd almost forgotten existed, having last seen it at about ten years of age, but now thats its out on a 2 disc special edition....

I bought it yesterday, more or less €30. Couldn't wait to see it, was anticipating it the entire day (I was with my girlfriend, who wouldn't really have appreciated it :p )

Well, when I finally got around to watching it, all settled down, drinks, food, comfort - talk about disappointment. What a flop. Okay, its not a genuinely terrible movie, but its bad, and its one that I wouldnt bother staying up late to watch if it was on. Didn't find it particularly engaging, in fact I switched it off half way through out of boredom and watched the rest of it this morning.

I feel cheated somewhat. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I blame the lead character for not saying once in the film that he's getting too old for this sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its a terrible film...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm in the same boat as MobileInfantry here.

I haven't seen it in years.. but I quite enjoyed it when I was younger. But I would probably hate it now.. I think I caught a climpse of it on telly recently, and it was one of the scenes with the rastafarian guy... and it was pretty terrible.

And the absolutely worst thing about this film is that it gave birth to the ridiculous notion of the Alien Vs. Predator franchise. That Alien skull on the Predator spaceship near the end was the first time that they were shown to exist in the same universe as each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I don't know if anyone else noticed this or if it's just me but at the start with the shotout with the latinos, just after glover gets behind two of them with the shot gun, there is a third guy who tries to run in the door but gets riddled, arms waving.

I'm nearly sure that's Joe Pesci with a heavy dose of tanning cream.

But it's got Bill Paxton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, I quite like him, could have done with a better role in this though.
    That Alien skull on the Predator spaceship near the end was the first time that they were shown to exist in the same universe as each other.

That whole scene was terrible!

No wonder a Predator 3 never arrived...

No wonder a Predator 3 never arrived...
    Don't tempt faith. Paul Anderson is probably taking another big dump in a movie can as we speak...

The whole thing with the Alien skull was a joke by the special effects guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Hmmm while I don't think it's as terrible as some of you do I do agree it has nothing on its predecessor. I think the main problem lies with Danny Glover. In that for the whole film it seems like a recently escaped geriatric from an old folks home is the one fighting a superior alien that even shiny-chested arnie who was in peak physical condition had trouble with. Whenever I watch it I keep expecting the Predator to slash Glover across the stomach cutting his hidden girdle and exposing his huge flabby gut.

Well what I'm trying to say is it may not be perfect but at least it has:
    Death scenes which are far better than the first film.
    The net and the disc.
    Gary Busey and Bill Paxton.
    Lots of generic "insert random ethnic background here" bad guys getting killed of in delightfully brutal ways.
    Someone called El Scorpio who walks around with a moustache of cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just wondering ... Does 'Alien Vs Predator' count as either an Alien or Pred movie? ie are ther now officially 5 Alien movies and 3 Predator's or is it still correct to count it as 4 & 2 respectively?

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Just wondering ... Does 'Alien Vs Predator' count as either an Alien or Pred movie? ie are ther now officially 5 Alien movies and 3 Predator's or is it still correct to count it as 4 & 2 respectively?
    It counts as a Pile of ****e movie... which makes number 12,354 in the series... just after Catwoman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It counts as a Pile of ****e movie... which makes number 12,354 in the series... just after Catwoman.

So does that work kinda like the CriterionCollection numbering system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Sarky wrote:
    I blame the lead character for not saying once in the film that he's getting too old for this sh*t.
    ROFL :D This thread has definitely cheered the morning up for me.
    Creature wrote:
    I think the main problem lies with Danny Glover. In that for the whole film it seems like a recently escaped geriatric from an old folks home is the one fighting a superior alien that even shiny-chested arnie who was in peak physical condition had trouble with. Whenever I watch it I keep expecting the Predator to slash Glover across the stomach cutting his hidden girdle and exposing his huge flabby gut.
    So ****ing true. It's just wrong on so many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I kinda liked Predator 2, Glover was weak in it to say the least, but the rest of it was pretty up to scratch, with some good gore in it and a good pace to it all aswell. Shows alot more of the predator than the first one aswell, in the first it just showed how he was bloody good at killing, the second one shows alot more of his gear and abilities, which was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I saw it was on T.V. about 6 months ago. I planned to watch it. I settled down thinking that I was in for a good action treat (seeing as I loved the first one) then I saw the first scene. WTF!?
    Criminals armed with what seem to be laser guns in 90s LA, firing from behind a car, are defeated by a middle-aged, unfit cop who just drives a car into them.
    WTF!?

I stoped watching about 3 mins. later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Pigman II wrote:
    I would consider it a (crappy) spin off ... just like Caravan of Courage isn't an "offical" Star Wars movie

and yes P2 is a terrible movie ... but then so is Alien 3 & 4 and AvP ... unfortunatly you can't stop hollywood ****ing up a good thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

on the alien skull comment. i believe the comic series had just started before this film was released (AVP mini series) and the sfx guy put the alien skull in as a nod towards the comics.

on pred 2. Mindless film which while crap in every sense of the word movie, is entertaining if one is interested in the franchise. it brought new developments to the mythos of the predator. In the same way each alien movie added to the alien mythos. This is one of the many areas the avp film bombed on. It brought nothing new to the franchise and even decided to **** on previous *established* rules.

i would like to state that i do like alien 3, and resurrection is good if you cut out the last 10 minutes and replace it with the last 10 minutes of aliens.

Criminals armed with what seem to be laser guns in 90s LA, firing from behind a car, are defeated by a middle-aged, unfit cop who just drives a car into them.
    WTF!?

I stoped watching about 3 mins. later.

Where the hell did you get laser guns from?! Sure you weren't watching a scene where the Predator kills someone? He(or she?) is the only thing in the film which uses something you could call a laser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

It's like the first scene with the stand-off between the cops and criminals.

Or am I remembering incorrectly? No... no..... I'm right.

No you're definitely wrong man :p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

AFAIK the only actor to have been killed by a Predator, an Alien and a Terminator - that almost makes the film worth it - but yes Danny Glover is an oaf in the film. I've often wondered would the film feel a bit more dynamic with a different actor is that role?

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

AFAIK the only actor to have been killed by a Predator, an Alien and a Terminator - that almost makes the film worth it - but yes Danny Glover is an oaf in the film. I've often wondered would the film feel a bit more dynamic with a different actor is that role?

Needed someone like Arnie, someone beefy.

And No, there are no laser guns, but yes, the opening scene is one of the most pathetic ive ever seen. Criminals blow up a car, then stand up cheering and giving each other high fives in broad daylight with the cops about 10 meters away, who before this were firing machine guns from all directions.

Truly awful. Reminds me of some of the worse B-Movies released this year. Now, to be honest, this was probably the worst scene and it got better, there were some decent scenes but overall it was a dreadful movie.

Advertisement