Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband

• 01-05-2005 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had experience of using satellite broadband in rural areas that have no regular broadband coverage. Any help on procedure, costs, performance etc. would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Might get more feedback posting in the broadband forum.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

esperanza wrote:
    Has anyone had experience of using satellite broadband in rural areas that have no regular broadband coverage. Any help on procedure, costs, performance etc. would be much appreciated. :)

Yes I have satellite broadband

1. Costs: Depending on what speed you wan't I have 768 down with no cap for €41 I get around 80k to 120k down not bad
    256K speed = aprox €15.00
    512K speed = Aprox €34.99
    1mb speed = Aprox €56.00
    2mb speed = Aprox €83

Network sat internet box 149

You will need a dial up ac for uploading

2. Setup: The one that I am using AVCbroadband in the uk they supply packages to e3broadband in Ireland but are cheaper using 28E ie syk digital sat I oped for the network option I had to but the F-10 eithernet boa around €149 if you have sky Digital installed all you need is a quad L and B easy to install your self run coax to sat eithernet box then you connect the box with crossover cable provided to you hub/router and configur network to the right IP range and you can share over you network or wirless if needed, also you cinnect telephone line into the box and set up dial account.

3 How it works:
    you set your browser homepage to f-10
    when you start the browser it goes to it you click connect and wait for the box to dial your dial up isp
    when you can surf and use all internet software ie e-mail/Msn etc
    Usually when you type in webaddress you get it back in 1 second.

When you recieve sat box you have to ring avcbroadband in uk to set it up.

I am very happy with my sat broadband at the moment I can't get any thing else will change if wirless or dsl are in my area sat is quite expensive no good for gaming on line but will let you up date Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Thanks for the info. God, are speeds so slow in Ireland! I'm currently living in France and have 11MB broadband, and you can get even better than that. Ah well, we'll catch up eventually, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Hi Robert,
    The package you are on sounds like the one i will have to go for.
    Can you post more details?

Is it a complicated setup?
    Do they post to you in Ireland?

Do you just order the DIY package and everythig you need is posted to you?

I have Sky+ so have a quad LNB.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

but playing games online is panths useing sat ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yes. Games are pants with satellite. Latency is the issue, but bandwidth is not. :)

Moving to the bb forum.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Khannie wrote:
    Yes. Games are pants with satellite. Latency is the issue, but bandwidth is not. :)

Moving to the bb forum.....

If you want to use ANY satellite for gaming or time depandant applications ( some types of thin client for example) is is NOT good and I would NOT recommend it.

Typical latency with satellite is over 500ms.

These birds live 35768km from the earth to keep them in stationery orbit and on two way services that is a 2 way hop! Home to Satellite and back to Teleport station!

Apart from that it's fine for browsing etc etc and is the same as any other broadband service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

pollyantic wrote:
    Hi Robert,
    The package you are on sounds like the one i will have to go for.
    Can you post more details?

Is it a complicated setup?
    Do they post to you in Ireland?

Do you just order the DIY package and everythig you need is posted to you?

I have Sky+ so have a quad LNB.

Thanks in advance

1) The setup is easy once you install all the hardware you ring them and they tell you how to setup the box

2) Yes Post to Ireland All the post to you is the (satellite boradband network box)

3) If you have a Quad Lnb all you need to do is pull a coax from the lnb to where you wan't the satellite boradband network box to go also you will need to connect a phone line into the box for your dial up which you program the box to dial.

There is very little to install beside the coax also the box can be networked if you hav more then one computers.

I am using satellite boradband on Quad Lnb with a SKY+ and a second sky box.

Hope this helps Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

I had sat broadband and got rid of it. Beware, its great for SIMPLE browsing of sites. Anything more than that can cause it to run slower than 56k modem.

The satelite base station caches everything and sends it to you in bursts. This is perfect for surfing, but for games, VPN, uploading, etc....its a dog!

Jab

PS - I also had huge problems with SSL sites. Never really figured out why?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

Thanks Robert
    I'll try that.
    As long as its better than 56K i'm happy.
    Its a last resort. I'm 8km or so from my exchange Can't get wireless or DSL so its satellite.
    2 way satellite is far too expensive. So i'll try the one way for now and hopefully proper broadband will arive in my area sooner than later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement