Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angels

Options
  • 01-05-2005 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've recently gotten into angel therapy, doing angel cards, getting angel readings done etc.

Does anyone have any angel stories or experiences??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

..did you know that Doreen Virtue (phd, angel therapy practitioner) is in the RDS tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Angel's rock !,

We all have a guardian Angel, and I do not know where I would have ended up, without mine :)

I took a lot of risks, and I am still alive to tell the tale, even though I am no longer young in any shape or form.

Alway's found my belief a great comfort and source of strength when the odd's were stacked against me :cool:

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 judi

hiya!!
    i have had one or two experiences with the angels :-) i always look to the angels in times of need and also pray to the angels for people in need of help!! the angels have great influence on our lives i reckon and it is most important that we aknowledge them for this. i hope your work with them will reward you, and dont forget to keep us posted on how your getting on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Sandy2004

I also believe in Angels as well as doing Angel Card readings for other people. The majority of those I do readings for don't really believe in angels - but do after a reading as the information is so personal to them and accurate. I have also met my guardian angel plenty of times, she is always there to provide me with guidance, strength and support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I've only recently got into Angels, even though I believe I have always been protected by them. My friend has some angel cards and the readings I have been doing are amazing. I believe that Michael is my guardian angel and I have prayed to him regarding highlighting some truths, but I would like to learn more about Angels.

• Advertisement

mmm I had the most amazing angel therapy today. Feel all warm and fuzzy. Bliss.

I'm still got the warm fuzzies. Just wanted to share my warm fuzziness with you all.
    Its like being on drugs without the drugs..

:)
    [we need to get an angel smiley with wings]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That sounds pretty good, what does it involve ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

it shall be done.

Give me a day ;)

solas wrote:
    I'm still got the warm fuzzies. Just wanted to share my warm fuzziness with you all.
    Its like being on drugs without the drugs..

:)
    [we need to get an angel smiley with wings]
    angle_smiley.jpg

Wha-d-ya tink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Pretty good, except it should be looking straight at you !
    :eek:

P.

I was going for the looking down on you effect hence the angels and the lighting

aww..I love the angel smiley. wil need to put it in my sig now.

steve I had IET, its integrated energy therapy. It doesn't seem to be as invasive as reiki, but uses similar touch points. I think the basic idea is to instill a particular energy pattern within the cells and releasing old memory patterns. or something like that. Its very tingly. I slept when I got home and in a way I can feel my own cells oscillating at a different rate (slightly clearer and fresher) over the last week.
    Going for another session today.

good choice on the color too Kaptain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

solas wrote:
    steve I had IET, its integrated energy therapy. It doesn't seem to be as invasive as reiki, but uses similar touch points. I think the basic idea is to instill a particular energy pattern within the cells and releasing old memory patterns. or something like that. Its very tingly. I slept when I got home and in a way I can feel my own cells oscillating at a different rate (slightly clearer and fresher) over the last week.
    Going for another session today.
    Sound like fun, I might look into getting it done sometime.

solas wrote:
    good choice on the color too Kaptain.
    Thank you. I feel very privilaged that someone has put something of mine in their sig :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jamie5

Sandy2004 wrote:
    I also believe in Angels as well as doing Angel Card readings for other people. The majority of those I do readings for don't really believe in angels - but do after a reading as the information is so personal to them and accurate. I have also met my guardian angel plenty of times, she is always there to provide me with guidance, strength and support.

Hi Sandy,
    Maybe you can help me out.
    Over the weekend I was buying an Angel book for my friend and card 21-Archangel Terra just appeared on top of the books that I was looking at, it was a little strange. It had a saying on the back:

You can take all of the knowledge of the world and blossom into a red rose.

It was really nice and It did put a smile on my face but I don't know much about the cards and I can find nothing on Terra.
    Would you be able to shed some light on who Terra is for me???
    Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

A lot of people will want to do me in for saying this...

Angels are not necessarily all fluffy and bunny like, they existed long before the new age movement got hold of them and made them pop and commericially viable.

Doreen Virtue has made a lot of money out of lots of froth and very little content (I've read some of her books to see what she's about). Angels are powerful but they can be mischievious as well as helpful and there also dark angels that exist within the same realm.

It's great that other planes of existence are more acknowledged in mainstream society now but I can't stand this 'spirituality lite' approach that her, Dianna Cooper etc take. It's all designed to appeal to the neophites, full of niaevity and enthusiam and cash!

I'd take it with a pinch of salt, do your own research instead of buying overpriced books and cards! There are spiritual adepts out there who teach and heal for FREE not 300 bucks a go. They are not celebrities dazzled by the adulation and limelight and so a little harder to track down. These are the real masters not the shall egotists who peddle their inferior wares to all and sundry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I agree with joseph dalton here, I've heard all this stuff about "angels" of late, and have to wonder what on earth it has to do with angels.

Angels are rather heavy things to work with. Even the four archangels that many (maybe even most) magic-workers have worked with to some extent are pretty heavy-going, though many of the more common workings with them aren't as full-contact as other possibilities. Even with the LBRP (which is so commonly used as to be quite frequently borrowed even by those who do not work in a Judeo-Christian context) while the nature of the ritual is such that you are not often going to have issues with the archangels, they're still there and they are mean mother****ers. That said, I think the relative safety of that ritual can lead to people underestimating just how powerful the archangels are, depending on just how they experience the archangels in that context.

There is after all a reason Michael was the patron saint of soldiers and is now the patron of security forces, and that sword he has isn't just for show :)

Beyond the better-known workings, there's a heck of a lot of things there, most of which have their own agendas, even when one excludes the more obviously nasty demons that operate on that level. Negotiations with such entities are not always easy.

Guardian Angels can be heavy enough to work with. They have been identified with what Jung calls the "Self", what Plato calls the "Peronal Daimon" and so on. Good thing to get into contact with, but it's a pretty heavy undertaking, and not one for the faint at heart. While the more obvious comparison with the likes of Michael would suggest that Guardian Angels are relatively light to deal with, the pressures of coming into such contact without sufficient mental, psychical and spiritual preparation are extreme, and all the more dangerous for the risks being more subtle.

Exoterically, while angels aren't a risk if they are dealt with as, for example, a Catholic solider praying to St. Michael, or a sick Catholic praying to St. Raphael (since the Archangels are all considered saints by the Catholic Church, with Michael, Raphael and Gabriel being explicitly named as such being the only "good" angels named in the canonical Bible), and this is as reasonable or not as praying to any saint (which is to say, it's reasonable if you are a Catholic or of another Christian denomination that believes in the intercession of saints, and unreasonable otherwise). Beyond that angels aren't seen as "nice" by any shape of form exoterically (guarding the gate to Eden with "a flaming sword which turned every way", killing the firstborn child of every household in a country, and so on).

Granted Angel Therapy seems to be related to something completely different, but I'm not terribly happy with that. Firstly, if they'd picked a similar but mundane name for the therapy and hence been less twee, what would people think of it?

Say they called it "Nuclear Bomb Therapy":

"Hey, some Nuclear Bomb Therapy would be just the thing for you."

"Eh, aren't Nuclear Bombs rather dangerous"

"No, not at all"

"But they cause mass destruction on a scale of many many miles"

"Ah yes, but this is different".

"I'm not so sure"

"Okay, why don't we see what the Nuclear Bomb cards have to say on the matter."

Ridiculous, but after a glance at the Book of Exodus the above makes perfect sense with "Angel" instead of "Nuclear Bomb".

Never mind the things angels get up to in Apocryphal works like the Book of Enoch.

Of course, angels work on a different plane than nuclear bombs, and as such labelling this stuff as angelic has more dangers than just the dangers inherent in mislabelling. Nuclear bombs tend not to get involved of their own accord when people of particular psychic dispositions start calling upon them. This is one of the reasons why nuclear bombs are safer than angels. People trying to make use of "angels" whatever they mean by that run a real risk of actually meeting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

Talliesin wrote:
    People trying to make use of "angels" whatever they mean by that run a real risk of actually meeting one.

Hi, i read your post with great interest and you mentioned some therapies (LBRP) that I'm not familiar with.
    I've met my guardian angel (He introduced himself before disappearing) and felt his prescence many times. I've always believed angels were protective beings who would never do anything to harm you. In fact my angel saved me from falling into a river.
    What are the Archangels like? I was always under the impression they were powerful but gentle. What do you mean when you say they are heavy going - as in spiritually heavy? I practise reiki and always protect myself spiritually from any "dangerous" beings. Is that what you mean when you work with angels?
    I am very intrigued by this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

Where did anyone get the idea that angels are here for human bidding?

In no way am I intending offence here to the other posters, but am just making a general statement for people as a whole when I say that man is so egocentric in spiritual matters. When it comes to matters of the spirit world we should really be careful who or what we are dealing with. I really liked Talliesin's Nuclear Bomb Therapy analogy.

The idea of angels floating around with wings and halos is just as much a myth as devils and their pitchforks and horns.

In the Judeo-Christian tradition angels were created to do G-ds bidding. Period. Anyone is welcome to correct me on this as I find the idea of praying to them, having them tell your fortune, or aiding you in magic very curious.

If you follow the 10 commandments, number 1 prohibits worshiping or praying to anything else other than the big guy himself. If you are religious enough to believe the Bible and it's stories of angels then I should think you would skip the need to seek guidance or help from anyone other than G-d himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Pink Bunny wrote:
    In the Judeo-Christian tradition angels were created to do G-ds bidding. Period. Anyone is welcome to correct me on this as I find the idea of praying to them, having them tell your fortune, or aiding you in magic very curious.

If you follow the 10 commandments, number 1 prohibits worshiping or praying to anything else other than the big guy himself. If you are religious enough to believe the Bible and it's stories of angels then I should think you would skip the need to seek guidance or help from anyone other than G-d himself.
    The Judeo-Christian tradition has been picked apart by discerning and enterprising magickians for centuries now. One may very well use Hebrew angels without being beholden to reverence to the Jewish or Christian moral codes. One does not have to believe the biblical account to be literally true, or the biblical cosmic hierarchy to be binding, or be remotely religious to believe in the effective reality of the angels described in scripture.

In most sensible magickal systems, angels are considered to be aspects of the unitary God, often with specific remits and repertoires. One is not so much dealing with a lower authority as addressing ones question or request to the most relevant office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pink Bunny

Sapien wrote:
    One may very well use Hebrew angels without being beholden to reverence to the Jewish or Christian moral codes. One does not have to believe the biblical account to be literally true, or the biblical cosmic hierarchy to be binding, or be remotely religious to believe in the effective reality of the angels described in scripture.

Now I'm really confused. Maybe it's because I don't believe we have the luxury to pick and choose what works for us and what doesn't when it comes to things like this. To me it's like a child not believing in Santa Claus but hanging up his stalking on X-mas eve anyway fully expecting it too be filled. You don't believe in G-d but like the idea of his angels so accept that part as true?

Ok.- so what happens when you wake up and find it full of presents? You know there's no Santa so who else could it be? Your parents posing as Santa. Does that make them suddenly agents of a mythical being? Nope, they are just pretending to be something you don't believe in anyway but you'll accept the despection because by choosing to believe in that part of it works to your benefit.

Therefore (and I hope I'm making some semblance of sense here ;) ) the same could be said of using angels for magic. The belief in them and their existence depends on your belief in their creator and the source of our knowledge in them is the Bible. That collection of books is what first introduces mankind to the idea of angels and goes into what is and is not their purpose, what kind there are and also the rebellion of some of them as well. Yes, there are later books written about man's ideas on what they could be and go into more depth as far as using them etc... But to believe that the authors of those books have any secret knowledge takes as much faith if not more than simply believing the books followed by the Jews, the Christians and in some parts the Muslims as well. The Catholic church liked to make up extra little stories about personal guardian angels and saints etc... but that's more in the realm of incorporating long held pagan beliefs into a new religion to make it appealing to the masses than actual biblical truth. (In my opinion ). So if people are going to talk about real angels they need to stick to the true source and either accept what's written about them and their purpose or not but I don't see how you can accept that there are beings created for specific purposes (none of which are to serve man unless directed by the big guy) and then create something else as appealing as it is to suit your purpose. It's like saying you want to believe in and use Santa's elves but don't believe in Santa (here's me with the Santa analogy again)

I know this is long winded and perhaps a bit garbled but try to bear with me. My point is that I think the “angels” ppl are using are no more “angels” than parents are Santa's elves appointed by Santa to give presents. If one doesn't believe in the Judeo-Christian teaching -the ones that introduce the existence of angels in the 1st place,then how can one believe that you can harness the energy and gifts of something you don't believe in? Just because you want to make it so doesn't make it reality.

My argument here is that angels are what they are. If someone is using them for a human purpose then my opinion (and that's all this please don't take this as a diatribe, I'm not trying to attack...just explain my point) is that the entity being used is a spirit posing as an angel but not an angel at all. The only angels out there that might be interested in the popular culture's attraction and attention would be the fallen angels otherwise known as demons and I'd be cautious of their “help” because anything they do will be to ultimately suit their own purpose, not ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Sapien wrote:
    In most sensible magickal systems, angels are considered to be aspects of the unitary God, often with specific remits and repertoires. One is not so much dealing with a lower authority as addressing ones question or request to the most relevant office.
    Do you think they can be likened to the various gods of certain schools Hinduism considered to be aspects of the Brahman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭muesli_offire

For something with a Christian flavour, check out the c18 scientist, philosopher and theologian Emanuel Swedenborg, who wrote extensively on the subject of angels and angelic wisdom.

You can find a library of his works at http://www.swedenborg.org.

His mystical notions about divine love and his interpretations of the bible are interesting to say the least. For him, angels were once people on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Pink Bunny, you must understand that to a magickian Judeo-Christian scripture is just another myth cycle - like those of the Norse, Greece or Rome, or the pre-Christian Irish. Magickians frequently use the gods from these myth cycles without submitting to the religious hierarchies or moral codes that accompanied them (with exceptions, especially in Pagan traditions, where practitioners often place emphasis on the moral and religious aspect of the spirituality). A magickian does not believe that, say, the Archangel Michael would have existed if Judaism had not arisen amongst certain Semitic peoples, any more than the god Jupiter is objectively real, but he does believe that the forces and ideas that the angel represents are real and eternal. A magickian, while recognising that religions are man-made constructs, also recognises that the characters, personae and archetypes that emerge from them are culturally, psychologically and spiritually potent. A magickian is someone who believes in no religion, but benefits from them all.
    Pink Bunny wrote:
    If someone is using them for a human purpose then my opinion (and that's all this please don't take this as a diatribe, I'm not trying to attack...just explain my point) is that the entity being used is a spirit posing as an angel but not an angel at all. The only angels out there that might be interested in the popular culture's attraction and attention would be the fallen angels otherwise known as demons and I'd be cautious of their “help” because anything they do will be to ultimately suit their own purpose, not ours.
    That is an interesting and insightful point - and something of a troublesome one. Ultimately, in the highest empirical style, angels are defined in terms of their interactions with the magickian in the context of the magickal paradigm in which the magickian is working. I know that might seem like a bit of a cop-out. A great deal of magickal effort is focused towards making the interaction with a "higher being" possible through alteration of the state of mind of the magickian, in effect making him or her a higher being, and by manipulating the atmosphere of the ritual so as to be hospitable and attractive to the angel. In other words, the magickian assumes the authority of God by his or her own divine nature, and tries to simulate the natural "habitat" of the angel. If done correctly the angel should automatically come to be present. It is rare that an experienced magickian should get anything other than an angel when it's an angel he or she is looking for.
    SkepticOne wrote:
    Do you think they can be likened to the various gods of certain schools Hinduism considered to be aspects of the Brahman.
    Of course - the relationships are highly analogous, though much more explicit in the case of Hinduism. In this sense, I suppose, Hinduism could be said to be more conceptually sophisticated, in that the identities of the lesser deities are putatively dissolved in the identity of the Godhead. Judaism, by comparison, is a thronging menagerie of distinct deities and sub-deities - contrary to the contemporary conception of Judaism as the prototypical monotheism. The closest Christianity has to this idea of "aspect" deities is the Trinity - and even that has been a messy and ill-explained stumbling block and baffler of the ordinary observant since the formation of the doctrine.

In fact, the likening you suggest can most easily, and with a little faith in Aleister Crowley, be achieved by collating column XXII and table IV of his Liber 777.

Advertisement