Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your defining FF moment?

Options
  • 01-05-2005 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Do you have any defining FF moment? In other words, where you saw a certain FMV/sequence/story twist where you just say to yourself "this is why I love this series!" or "that was damn cool!"

I think I'll start with two obvious (for me anyway) moments:

FF7
    Aeris dying
    I don't think any list would be complete without this :D
    FF8's opening intro - blew me away first time I saw it. Was pretty much the best part of the game in my view :)

Anyone got any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

After seeing the FMV of Seph. walking out of the mansion flames in VII I was hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Q_Elexra wrote:
    After seeing the FMV of Seph. walking out of the mansion flames in VII I was hooked.

That was cool. The advent children version looks just as good too. Best one I thought was the two Gardens going against each other in VII but there are other good one's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

i liked the one wit bahamut and the lifa tree in IX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Infini wrote:
    That was cool. The advent children version looks just as good too. Best one I thought was the two Gardens going against each other in VII but there are other good one's too.

Yeah the gardens going against each other was great, but I love the part in VII when you're in the shinra building, and the ensuing chase scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Had to be the ending of FFX!

I know this is a taboo subject as not too many people liked this game, let alone its ending, but IMO the ending was BRILLIANT!

My girl friend at the time cried her eyes out when I finished it. How sweet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

Hanza wrote:

I know this is a taboo subject as not too many people liked this game, let alone its ending, but IMO the ending was BRILLIANT!

Yeah. My first comment on that was to tell my mate that completing the game was worth it just to see that FMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Hanza wrote:

Wow she really must have been into it. I'll tell ya this much that was probably one of the best endings for a FF game ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Infini wrote:
    Wow she really must have been into it. I'll tell ya this much that was probably one of the best endings for a FF game ever.

Yeah but then they went and made X-2 and trampled all over it :(

side note: my 100th post! i've made hard work of it! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVII:
    Aeris dying. How could they do it! :(
    FFX: The ending. What a fantastic way to finish off one of the best games ever.
    FFVIII:
    The part with Squall and Rinoa in space. Very 2001. It was spoiled unfortunately by that lunar cry bull****
    FFVI: The opening with the mechs walking through the snow. Very atmospheric and one of the best pieces of game music ever. Also any part of the game with Kefka, fantastic character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Loved the FFX ending as well.

the missile attack on the Garden was cool, but my fav for FFVIII was when the Ragnarok attacked the Citadel, rockjed bigtime.

FFIX was when bahamut was trashing the city and Alexander was revived, had a great feeling to it,

FFVI had to be the mechs as Retro mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ninja Turtle

Yeah, the intro to the SNES version of FFVI is pretty good (I didn't particularly like the PS intro for some reason). For me though, the opera scene was pretty amazing, and more defining. After all, how many games feature a full blown opera? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The start of FF6 with Terra's theme playing while the mechs walk throuhg the mountains... very nice.

FF8 intro is up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

the part before you fight yunalesca in X, and you find out
    Auron is unsent
    Auron gives a great speech :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Not so much the death of Aeris but the aftermath. She looked so peaceful when it happened and it was all so slow then it was followed by the Geneva boss fight with the still sad music.
    That was one of the hardest boss fights to do because it was so difficult to concentrate after what had just happened! :(

I have to mention two for this game though and that is in the life stream thingy when you learn that
    Cloud was not who he said he was. I thought that that was cool when it went back through the story again and he was always in every scene as a nobody in the background! Class!

The opening scenes to 8 where you go to the town and then get chased all the way down the mountain by the robot spider thing. That was awesome! That whole FMV was great. Even on the way when the moons reflection in the water is broken by the boats looks cool!

The really memorable scene in 9 is the petrification of Evil Forest! That was great to see such imagination used with a spell that we have seen so many times before.
    the part before you fight yunalesca in X, and you find out spoiler:
    Auron is unsent
    Auron gives a great speech

That was definately the most memorable part of X. That was cool!

X-2 sucked! Now let us never speak of it again!
    I did play 6 but i cannot remember too much from it. Twas a long time ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Forgot to mention the end of Final Fantasy Tactics for the Playstation
    when Ovelia kills Delita and then commits suicide.
    That was such a shock and up there in terms of nastiness with the endings of FFX, Suikoden 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

The other would be beating FF tactics. My god that was probably the hardest game I've ever completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

For me it was the FMV of Weapon attacking Junon in FFVII.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i cant believe i forgot about the sister ray on midgar firing on diamond weapon and destroying the northen crater shield!! that ROCKED!!

post 100! (finally :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

My favorite moment was in FFIX when the gang were on the airship flying through North Gate and were attacked by those black mages. (Small little) Vivi who has showed no real strong emotions before that point in the game suddenly is filled with rage and attacks the robot black mages with fire. Will never forget it, was definatly my defining moment!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sci0x wrote:
    My favorite moment was in FFIX when the gang were on the airship flying through North Gate and were attacked by those black mages. (Small little) Vivi who has showed no real strong emotions before that point in the game suddenly is filled with rage and attacks the robot black mages with fire. Will never forget it, was definatly my defining moment!

exactly what i was about to type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Hawksmoor

All of FFVII.

I love that game.Too many fantastic moments to list.

-Aidan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

sci0x wrote:
    Another agreement here. Vivi, sigh... I loved the little guy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well my absolute favourites have already been mentioned so I'll just had a couple more.

Waking up to a whole new world and withough Cloud in Junon in Final Fantasy VII was quite intense. The space side story with Cid was quite moving too.

First reaching Esthar in FFVIII, this massive sprawling futuristic city sprawling in front of you out of nowhere, that was really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

back in december 1998 a freind of mine had gotten final fantasy VII for christmas and i called round to him and St. Stephen's Day to see wot he got and i look at him playing a game i thought was bad and hadn't given the time of day even to listen to and laughed at him and mocked him for it but at the end of
    i was hooked on it and watched him constantly

eventualy he got bored of it and bought some fifa game and i asked for a loan and it was the first time i saw the start FMV and from then to now im a ff junkie

also i loved the scene in VII when
    arith died and the hole music during the fight and the placing of airth in the water was briliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

FFVII -
    Aeris being lowered into the water etc..
    FFVIII -
    The sorceress being released and all the monsters goin shotting down to earth, or bein on the ragnorak the first time
    FFIX -
    turning off the console
    FFX - Too Many
    FFX-2 - Not buying it and laughing at people who did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

FF4, or is it 5. The one with Cecil -
    The fight against himself "If you are a true paladin, you will sheath your sword and bare this"

FF6 -
    Anything with Kefka

FF7 -
    "Because you are.....a puppet". That whole bit at the end of the first disc was just that first little hint at the massive story beneath the normal RPG story we'd been following

FF8 -
    The mission to assasinate Edea. It's a showcase for what was good about FF8.

FF9 -
    I didn't like this game too much, but the FMVs with the summons were brilliant

FF10 -
    Hmm, I guess the battle at mushroom rock

FF10-2 -
    The bit where I gouged out my own eyes as an act of contrition for playing it for more than 2 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

FF7 - spoiler: "Because you are.....a puppet". That whole bit at the end of the first disc was just that first little hint at the massive story beneath the normal RPG story we'd been following

now that you mention that crucifix that bit was brilliant, quite the way to get some suspense going

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mmmm, yes... might take a leaf out of your book Crucifix and do one 'o those...
    (Ill do what i can remember)

FF1 -
    that ****ing cave
    FF2 to 5 -
    a complete blank for me, sorry... must get back to those
    FF6 -
    Kefka's laugh and final speech
    FF7 -
    Aeris dying, got me right here
    FF8 -
    The entrance to Dollet
    FF9 -
    Alexander was pretty awe inspiring, but simply a lot of what Kuja said was good "Peace is but a shadow of death"
    FF10 -
    Seymour talking about killing the Ronso in his giggly voice... put the willies up me
    FF10-2 -
    Never played it, the trailer is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

had to be the spring scene in FFX with Tidus and Yuna.Seriously,the whole underwater thing and the music,it was just so beautiful.the amount of times i went to that cinema place in Luca just to watch that,its crazy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sci0x wrote:

i agree,again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

In FFVII -
    When you find nagasaki's father
    This actually for me is the defining moment now that I think about it.

Advertisement