Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your defining FF moment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

In FFVII -
    When you find nagasaki's father
    Yeh, he was the bomb yo... :p

Nanaki!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Rhyme wrote:
    Nanaki!

My bad , its been a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

My bad , its been a while...
    Sure i used to call him Nana for ages til i replayed it, now its burned in my skull

I had a tendency to name him after my dog which didnt help. Thats one thing that is lost with voice acting (naming) but i think it worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

In FFVII -
    When you find nagasaki's father
    This actually for me is the defining moment now that I think about it.

that is actually such an effective and unexpected thing, an absolutely great bit

jaysus i have a new defining moment every other day

• Advertisement

grimloch wrote:
    jaysus i have a new defining moment every other day

The more you think the more you get . Like that freaky bit where cloud gives the blck materia to sepiroth and you just see weapons huge blinking eye in the background /me shivers

Its up there with FFVII which has to be the scaryist of all the games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

my new defining moment is seeing the ffvii tech demo for ps3 :p

The more you think the more you get

i officially deem there to be too many defining moments in these games as theyre all so feckin' great

EDIT: didnt mean X-2

grimloch wrote:
    i officially deem there to be too many defining moments in these games as theyre all so feckin' great

EDIT: didnt mean X-2

Amen , I think we are realising that. How about we all stop , think about it properly and post again in a week :D

disclaimer - not to be taken seriously

just thinking about it now, theres as many good moments as can be imagined, so many little bits of quality that make the games great on so many levels

with my level of indecisiveness i dont think im capable of choosing any one and will upon my trend of changing it every hour

unless this had been mentioned beforethe end of the part in memoria and the cutscene that preceeded it was cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

FF 1-5 I have not played :(

FF6 - Kefka.. enough said.. probably though where
    Kefka gives his order for Genocide

FF7 - Probably
    Aeris dying
    or
    The scene with Meteor crashing into Gaia
    oh, and Knights of the Round.. such a lengthy killing :)

FF8 - There's a few , i'll only mention
    The Ballroom dancing scene in Balamb Garden and just after that the Dollet opening sequence
    and
    the ending movie

FF9 - Two here ..
    Bahamut attacking the city and Alexander rising again
    and
    the part where vivi and the mages discuss death, poor vivi

FFX -
    The scene in the pond in Macalania Woods with Tidus and Yuna

FFX-2 -
    The secret ending was kinda a surprise tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Bit of a noob to final fantasy. Had VII years ago when I was about 11, didnt have the patience to sit down and complete the game. I didnt bother with final fantasy for years, but I always meant to. About 2 weeks ago i got a lend of final fantasy x. I'm just out of hospital because I had my tonsils out, so i was told basically don't leave the house. I became completly engrossed in the game. I've just beaten Yunalesca now. But I have to say the defining moment so far in the game is the lead up to her battle. The ghosts of Jecht, Lord Braska and Auron (should have seen he was undead, the clues are there!), then your party goes to fight Yunalesca and Auron gives this bood rising proclamation:
    Auron: Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

Even though there are so many glorious moments before that, I get insane shivers seeing that part. Also gets you so motivated to fight Yunalesca (who can be a cúnt to beat!)

I'll leave any more when I finsih the game. I aso have to say I am now hooked. Browsing Amazon for the other games now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

weemcd, Im a little bit jealous of you - you're in for a treat - the end of that game is amazing.

Quite a few great moments in that game alright. The Gagazet scene and the end scene do stand out.

I wouldn't mind having one of those Men In Black laser pens thingies for exactly this type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

In FFVII when you find out
    the truth about Cloud's past
    ! That was crazy. I actually wasn't all that bothered about the whole Aeris thing.

In FFVIII; Rinoa and Squall in space. That's probably the best gaming moment for me ever. .Or maybe when
    Squall frees Rinoa from the sorceress memorial in Esthar
    . I thought the lunar cry thing was actually pretty cool...

In FFVII when you find out
    the truth about Cloud's past
    ! That was crazy. I actually wasn't all that bothered about the whole Aeris thing.

Which one? As I recall you get Hojo telling you one thing and then Tifa telling you another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TuneR

SofaKing wrote:
    weemcd, Im a little bit jealous of you - you're in for a treat - the end of that game is amazing.

Is it that good? I've gotten to fighting Jecht in Sin about 3 months ago and was beat. Then stopped playing it cause i just got lazy. Must start it again so.

Oh yes and seeing the Weapon FMV for the first time, pure class back then methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

the part before you fight yunalesca in X, and you find out
    Auron is unsent
    Auron gives a great speech :D

Have to say that bit made the game for me as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TuneR wrote:
    Is it that good? I've gotten to fighting Jecht in Sin about 3 months ago and was beat. Then stopped playing it cause i just got lazy. Must start it again so.

Oh yes it is :D

I must warn you that if you weren't levelling up that fight is practically impossible. You should do a bit of monster catching and fighting the monsters in the arena. Stupid difficulty spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

grimloch wrote:
    Which one? As I recall you get Hojo telling you one thing and then Tifa telling you another.
    Tifa's bit was the real deal though wasn't it?

Also, it looks like I'm alone here......but I wasn't that enamored with the ending for FF10.

• Advertisement

Crucifix wrote:

I can't honestly tell you if that bit was actually cleared up or whether it was just left as a loose end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

I don't think so. I vaguely recall a bit where it was implied that Cloud's own (incorrect) self-image was imprinting itself on Tifa's mental image of him, and either that or her own wishful thinking(or possibly a combination) was altering her memories of their past.

For defining moment, I'd have to go with FF6 and the poisoning of Doma. It was the first time I'd seen a game villain actually do something as evil as they(or others) claimed they were capable of. Cyan finding his wife and son was heartbreaking.

Also in the running was FF4 when the the twins turned themselves to stone to save Cecil.

Trode wrote:
    I don't think so. I vaguely recall a bit where it was implied that Cloud's own (incorrect) self-image was imprinting itself on Tifa's mental image of him, and either that or her own wishful thinking(or possibly a combination) was altering her memories of their past.

I'll have a glance over the script after my exams if someone else hasn't cleared it up by then, it's going to annoy me.

To add to the moments in six; the Leo scene was pulled off pretty well. The backstories of pretty much all the characters was done quite well too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trode wrote:

It's actually a bad translation and much simpler. Tifa knew exactly what happened. She knew that
    Cloud wasn't the Soldier accompanying Sephiroth in Nibelheim. She didn't want to say this to him and also didn't really trust her memory because of the trauma of that night. She never knew that cloud was actually one of the lowly Shinra guards and never made it into Soldier. Cloud also always knew this as well but had repressed the memory since he was ashamed to return to Nibelheim and to Tifa without having become a Shinra Soldier. This only came out after they explored his subconscious in the Life Stream.

Thought the part in the Lifestream with Cloud and Tifa was another standout moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Reading this all makes me wanna play all the games again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 300lenouveau666

ff8 intro actually got my mam hooked on ff8. she didn't come off my PS2 for about a week, then she came out and said. "well, it's nowt special really." she still sneaks in my room sometimes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 300lenouveau666

my moment would have to be when i played on ff8 the first time. i just felt like in their world, they're perfect. besides, i gotta save the world, cos it won't save me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I loved everything about FF7, even watching the summons was class especially Neo and Zero Bahamut. I was one of those people who loved FF7 so much that when i played other FF games i always said "This is nothing like FF7". A FF7 Fanboi you could say :D . I gave FFX a go a couple of years ago but never bothered finishing it but i might get my hands on it again. I managed to get a copy of FF8 as well second hand but it was a bust copy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyGrav

FF7 was a magical experience for me, as my first RPG. The combination of novelty and just sheer brilliance and atmostphere had me unbelievably immersed.
    So when I left Midgar and saw there was a whole fecking world I was bloody gobsmacked. Just stood there and listened to the theme around 3 times over. Unbelievable.

The night before the final attack on The North crater, when Tifa and Cloud spend the night together is probably my favourite moment though.

Or beating Emerald Weapon with 100 Hp left, that's gotta be sweet.

• Advertisement

People are mentioning the bit before the Yunalesca fight in FFX. I also loved the scene after this fight. There's a lot of emotion since
    they don't know exactly what they have done or if they have done the right thing since killing Yunalesca was blasphemy in their eyes. The characters from Spira really take it badly. Very original since it's not often that you see characters in videogames questioning their actions.

Advertisement