Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your defining FF moment?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Just finished the game, woah! Is all I can say, I got pretty choked up for a game. Very touching moment. I'm in two minds, if I should borrow X-2, or forget it and buy 7 and 8 from amazon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

X-2 is very different than X. If you're expecting a continuation of X, presented in much the same way, you'll be disappointed. Personally I love it, some crusty old gits like Retrogamer don't like it though, just ignore them.

I'd try VI or IX before VII and VIII if I were you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go for VII, VI, IX and VIII in that order before you go anywhere near FFX-2. Even if you do somehow manage to enjoy it, it's a far inferior game than those 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Id say the opening to FFVIII was one of mine. Id never seen and opening movie that great, in fact I restarted the computer so I could watch it again, lol. But then I kind of went off the series because I thought FFIX wasnt interesting at all, but FFX has got me totally hooked on Final Fantasy games now. Absolutely excellent game, great story and great ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't understand people not liking IX. Granted it was the first FF I played, but I still love it. Not as good as the FF7 story, but gripping nonetheless and has it's fair share of intriguing plot twists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFIX had an awful story but the characters were mostly excellent and it was just buckets of fun to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

FF Mystic Quest;
    The giant tree walking you through the forest bit was class
    FF6;
    Terra turning into the esper and flying off
    FF7;
    Crashing out of the Shinra building on the Bike. Seeing everyone in FMV was just class, and getting to the world map was an achievement in itself
    FF8;
    Squall rescuing Rinoa after she almost falls off the garden. Best love story ever, non?
    FF9;
    The bit where..christ, its been so long,its hard to describe. Where the music, I think its "Youre not alone!" starts playing, and Zidane is wandering through in a daze fighting off mobs.. when one throws you down to 1HP, Garnet runs in and heals you up.. fantastic.
    FF10;
    Where Tidus and Yuna kiss in the lake
    FF10-2;
    Fighting with the gamestop clerk for my monies back

Its been a long,long time since I've played a good final fantasy with the classic storylines and score to boot..Jesus, how many years has it been since 10, now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I just finished IX last night. Pretty good ending. It was an okay game. Gameplay-wise it was a lot like VII, but it's a little too old-school FF for my tastes; with VIII being my favourite. I didn't do all of the secret/side-quest stuff. Getting the Fat Chocobo card was about all I achieved. I think I heard something about there being more than one ending for IX though? Is that true?

Long shot here, but could anyone give me a snes9x emu FFVI save file from somewhere quite near the end of the game? About two years ago I spent my whole christmas playing the game and then something retarded happened to me in Kefka's fortress or whatever that made it impossible for me to go any further...Cheers

www.zophar.net has savestates if you want to look.

FFIX had extra few scenes at the end if you did some sidequest. Can't remember what that sidequest was. gamefaqs will have the answer but iirc you weren't really missing all that much.

FFIX was FULL of sidequests/secrets. Mognet mail, Chocographs, Excalibur 2, treaasure hunting rank, collecting coffee, collecting star signs....

There's loads more, those are just off the top of my head.

I'm currently playing through again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Not only did it have quite a few sidequests, most of them weren't complete sh*te. Plus the chocobo one was really rewarding and was most certainly worth the time I pumped into it. The whole card thing wasn't pulled off too badly either.

WTF was with the coffee thing though? I must just have been incredibly incompetant because I completely failed to complete that sidequest on both of my playthroughs. What made it more annoying was that I put much time and effort into it the second time and still managed to come away sans reward. Needless to say a controller tantrum ensued.

lol, the coffee one was crap, it had no reward other than when you go back to the old man's house beside the tower in Dali there's a model of the Prima Vista floating in there.

Just remembered the scene in FFVII with Aeris and Cloud jumping around the rooftops in Midgar after escaping the turks. It was that exact moment and the part in Aeris' house when I knew FFVII was going to be something really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

FFX: when they attack Bevelle in the airship! very cool...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭GK¦ Ixion²

FF9:Trance kuja goin nuts on terra.
    FF7: (there are soo many)After all that work in the arena, finally seeing Omnislash.
    FFX: Anima clearing the place in her own FMV sequence.
    Have loads more but cant bring them to mind at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd agree with retr0, my defining moment in VII was early in Midgar, after the big pillar is destroyed and a sector of the slums is destroyed. From that point I could tell it would be fantastic and everything brilliant after that was just expected!
    I don't really have a defining moment in VIII, it's a tame storyline comapred to VII and nothing amazing ever really happens. If I had to pick I'd say Balamb Garden going mobile. Very cool touch.
    For IX it had to be seeing Bahamut and Alexander in full CGI glory, really threw the summons into the storyline more than ever before and looked awesome. And Kuja was a bad guy stuck in a substandard storyline.
    X is tough. It took me a while to get into the game but I think it was probably the moment you found out Seymour was evil in Macalania temple. From that point on I was hooked and realised there was so much more to the story than I originally thought.

V (my favourite) had to be the moment you found out that guy was actually a girl and the main character wasn't gay for being attracted to her. Absolutely hilarious and the point at which I realised that although the storyline wasn't great it was still a really damn fun game!
    VI has to be climbing the big linear annoying tower to Kefka, and finally getting to him!
    IV is when Cecil turns from Dark knight > paladin.

Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Cina wrote:
    IV is when Cecil turns from Dark knight > paladin.
    Agrred, love that moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shortie989

FF:VII was the defining game!!! it had the greatest story ever and d coolest bad guy ever!! SEPHIROTH......i'm still scared of him pure evil he is!

I began playin FF:VII wen i was 9 and am still playin now!!

D bike scene from the FMV at the start 2 going out 2 the biggest world map you've ever seen was amazing!!

The standout final fantasy moment is The opening to FF:VIII its amazing and VIII is possibly the greatest ever story on a console

OMNISLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FF:IX was mediocre but still great i always luved d cheery dark mage moments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Oooh where to begin?

FFVIII : My favourite game ever!
    Obviously the into. I've yet to see a game with a better intro.
    The whole part where the Galbadian army attackes Balamb Garden and Squall and party manage to discover how to make it fly.
    The part when Edea nearly kills Squall was brilliant. A nice time to have to change disk too!
    I loved the Esther scenes too.
    One of my favourite parts was getting Squall to do the Lionheart attack.

FFIX:
    I plain loved this game, all the FMVs of the Eidolons.
    Bahamut attacking the queens fleet, or Alexandria.
    Alexander attacking Bahamut.
    The FMV of Zidane and crew in the petrafied forest and the one where he goes after Kuja near the end.
    I also liked the ending of this game, however soppy it was!

FFX: Wasn't as much of a fan of this one but it was good enough
    The most defining moments where when Tidus and crew stop the wedding and Yuna jumps off the edge and summons Valefor. That whole part of the game was brilliant!
    Apart from that, the ending was good enough.

Advertisement