Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future Champ

• 01-05-2005 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

OK let's say your Vince McMahon and you have to decide who is in need of the next big push, who would you give it to and why? I have posted some wrestlers in the poll who have never held the top prize in the WWE but if you have someone else in mind, explain your choice. Who deserves to be a major figure in the WWE? Who do you think should be the next WWE/World Champion?

Future Champion? 34 votes

Edge
    0%
    Christian
    8%
    etherD-FENSMacca'87 3 votes
    Shelton Benjamin
    35%
    DCFozzyTheGreatOnepingu_girlFanatic4LifeUnit00blackbeltKioFirewalkwithme[Deleted User]Cha1nernevisgod 12 votes
    Muhammad Hassan
    14%
    The_BullmanoakersDoctorEdgeWildOYThe Apex 5 votes
    Rob Van Dam
    0%
    Booker T
    11%
    raven136TOPDAWGMr.Nice GuyBrow 4 votes
    Rey Mysterio
    0%
    Carlito
    20%
    Gonzoirishman_abroadfcukmeandymanTrev CStalfosBOHS 7 votes
    Other
    8%
    maxtraxUnknownVince135792003 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Of the above, none, certainly not at this juncture anyways. Maybe Booker T should get a run with the WWE title, but of the others, none of them are anywhere near the main event scene.

However, of your list, i think Shelton, Hassan, and Carlito will/should/could be the stand outs. People are beginning to liken Shelton to Sting, Carlito to the Rock and Hassan with Randy Savage, not bad comparisons IMO.

Also, i think its pretty much a lock that Edge will win the title sooner or later. Rightly or wrongly, the wwe are very high on him, and feel he has what it takes to carry the company. While I prefer his heel role, and leaving his private life out of it, I cannot see the draw he has? He is an average wrestler, with decent mic skills, but he doesnt seem to have 'it' a lá Austin, HHH etc.

I would like to see Christian up there, but I doubt he will ever win a world title, my basis for saying so I havent thought of properly yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Other
    I think Edge in the short term but for long term star value its got to be Carlito. If they keep using him right he'll be huge. He's got that intangible, that X factor that you either have or you dont. He has IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Booker T
    gimmick wrote:
    Of the above, none, certainly not at this juncture anyways. Maybe Booker T should get a run with the WWE title, but of the others, none of them are anywhere near the main event scene.

I think RVD is ready and I think he should have held the title already. I remember watching Heyman on Byte This and he said that RVD has something that other wretlers don't have with their gimmicks - a connection with the fans. I think he's right. RVD is respected by pretty much all fans around the world and if he was given the WWE title I'm sure he'd do it proud. Perhaps when he returns from injury he'll get a push like Edge received. I don't know how popular he is with management though as he p*ssed alot of people off by refusing to do the show in Iraq although personally I think his decision should be respected.

Of the others I mentioned, I think it's clear Edge will get the title at some point this year although I don't want this to happen. I think Christian could do well on Smackdown and challenge Cena for the belt. He might not win it but in a year's time maybe he will. I think Carlito has potential too but I don't think he's ready at this point in time. Shelton is probably ready in terms of in-ring ability but I think he needs a heel turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Booker T
    When ya think about it we dont really know where a future champ is gonna come from. Theres more than likely one guy somewhere on the roster that nobody is even comtemplating as a futue champ! One of those guys in the Heartthrobs (as an example) could go on to be one of the greateset ever,, who knows? And before i get jumped on just think back to the likes of Deacon Batista, The Ringmaster, Flex Kavana, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Mean Mark Calloway. All the wrestlers mentioned on the poll are talented all im saying is sometimes all it takes is for a wrestler to think outside the box and then just by changing his ring attire/gimmick/catchphrase (i.e. cena) he's the next big thing!

Booker T
    TOPDAWG wrote:
    When ya think about it we dont really know where a future champ is gonna come from. Theres more than likely one guy somewhere on the roster that nobody is even comtemplating as a futue champ! One of those guys in the Heartthrobs (as an example) could go on to be one of the greateset ever,, who knows? And before i get jumped on just think back to the likes of Deacon Batista, The Ringmaster, Flex Kavana, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Mean Mark Calloway. All the wrestlers mentioned on the poll are talented all im saying is sometimes all it takes is for a wrestler to think outside the box and then just by changing his ring attire/gimmick/catchphrase (i.e. cena) he's the next big thing!

You make a fair point although sometimes it is easy to see when a guy is being primed for success. It was clear the whole JBL gimmick would lead to him gaining the belt one day (although I don't think anyone expected him to get it so quick).Edge will likely get the belt soon as well. What I'm asking though is who you would want to see get a big push. Suppose your Vinny Mac and you have absolute power. Who would you prime for success? If it was me, I would give RVD a massive push when he returns and have him take the belt off JBL who I suspect will no doubt have the belt soon enough.

• Advertisement

Booker T
    Yeah id have to agree with ya on the van dam thing i spose but id like to see him revert a bit to ecw days where while he was a big face and the big draw there he still had a bit of an edge to him whereas before his injury he was turning kind of fan/kid friendly a la mysterio. Id love to see christian get a major title push as well just as long as he remains heel. Hes too much of a snide little snake in the grass to be in it for the fans me thinks!

COS THATS HOW HE ROLLS!!!

Booker T
    TOPDAWG wrote:
    Yeah id have to agree with ya on the van dam thing i spose but id like to see him revert a bit to ecw days where while he was a big face and the big draw there he still had a bit of an edge to him whereas before his injury he was turning kind of fan/kid friendly a la mysterio.

I think it might be a good idea to try and turn him heel though it would be tough to do. I remember last year when Heyman had that storyline with the Dudley Boyz and he got them to turn heel and join him. What I would have liked to see happen would have been for RVD to join with Heyamn and the Dudleyz and for there to have been a faction. RVD was technically a heel during the Alliance storyline a few years back and I think if he was part of a faction again he could do quite well. Perhaps he could be a popular heel just like he was in the Alliance storyline. Also, he should be allowed have more hardcore matches.

Other
    I love Van Dam but when he first enterted and he was sooooooooooo over that that was the time for him to make it big. WWE management obvioulsy dont rate him as he gone from main eventing a ppv within his first 6 months with the company with austin and angle to not even getting on the card at wrestelamania 19. No doubt about it WWE missed the boat with RVD.

Booker T
    I love Van Dam but when he first enterted and he was sooooooooooo over that that was the time for him to make it big. WWE management obvioulsy dont rate him as he gone from main eventing a ppv within his first 6 months with the company with austin and angle to not even getting on the card at wrestelamania 19. No doubt about it WWE missed the boat with RVD.

I've read that the plan was for RVD to take the World Title off Triple H at Unforgiven in 2002 but the plan was changed. Guess who changed it? Yep - everyone's favourite son-in-law, Triple Naitch. As a result, RVD faded away from the title picture. Think of the guys he has had to put over in recent years - Brock Lesnar, Kane, Randy Orton. He then goes to Smackdown and what happens? He's shoved into the tag team division against the Basham brothers! Ridiculous! Think of the great matches he could have on Smackdown if given a proper push when he returns:

RVD vs Eddie Guerrero (reignite an old rivalry)

RVD vs Kurt Angle (two great wrestlers with different styles)

RVD vs JBL (could be an interesting angle here. I'm sure JBL could be pretty funny mimicking RVD with his initials - JBL)

RVD vs Carlito (both think they're really cool. This storyline writes itself!)

Also, if he was a heel he could face Cena, Taker, Big Show and even Rey who was his former tag partner and what great matches these guys could have! Think of all the great cruiserweights on Smackdown as well and that are set to come. Guys like Frankie Kazarian (who talks about being cool too). There could be some amazing matches!

It is clear RVD is the most underrated guy in the WWE and the more I think about it, if he was given the torch to carry by management he could possibly make Smackdown the number one show assuming his talent was allowed to shine through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Shelton Benjamin
    Definately Christian. I'd like to see him move to SD and win the title there. He's got everything I think, one of the best underrated wrestlers and one of the best on the mic too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

Shelton Benjamin
    Yeah, CLB takes it for me! The guy is fantastic, he's easily in the top 5 as far as mic skills go, his promos are awesome (although he doesn't get enough face time), and he's 10 times the wrestler the current champ is. Give him time and he'll be there, it could take a year or two tho. Disappointed he's not on the card for backlash tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Carlito
    How would you rate Chris Masters?

Imo the only good move he has is the Master Lock and thats a fairly average move aswell.

I think Rey should get a push.My reason is that he has proven time and time again that he can compete at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Carlito
    I agree with that. Rey Mysterio has proven that he is good eough to hold to title but he's not the best on the mic though imo, hopefully the Rey/eddie story will lead to somewhere good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Booker T
    I think if anyone deserves it its Van Dam. The guy puts on a decent match nearly every time he goes out there and works with injuries whilst he at it. He was huge when he first came on the scene and even though he was meant to be heel during the invasion he got huge pops.

Triple H is the one holding both him a Booker T down. Hunter has gone on the record saying 'both of them are missing the final piece of becoming main event material'. When Van Dam comes back I hope he comes back with an explosion so he can be elevated to the peak he can maintain rather than be stuck in some two bit tag team.

I would like to see RVD pushed as well, but as a heel. I think his character has just become stale in recent times, before his injury, and people werent caring anymore.

I dont see him getting this push though for the following reasons

- He is supposedly a very stiff worker, injuring alot of people.

- His backstage attitude is supposedly selfish, and isnt what the yanks call a 'team player'.

- Most importantly : He isn't Vinces creation. He is the creation of another company, and vinces will never put that over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Muhammad Hassan
    Also, he is a liability - injury wise. He gets injured alot and with his style of wrestling, he cant work well injured like, for example Triple H can.

What if he gets a push, all the way to the title then gets injured defending it? Out for a year and the belt out wth him unless they have some bullsh1t excuse to strip him of it.

RVD will fade out further into mediocrity which is sad considering the amazing things he has done in the industry.

Booker T
    Points taken gimmick and DoctorEdgewild but him being selfish? I've never heard anything like that. I always pictured Van Dam as one of the team players being honest.

I totally agree with the creation point though. Which blows. So going by that point would you say Rey will never be champion seeing as how he was ECW and WCW material?

Muhammad Hassan
    Pretty much yeah. I can't see him ever being full blown champ. Its just not believable due to his size. If Vince has any intrest in making wrestling believable then how can Rey hold the title when Big Show exists? Its just not believable.

Booker T
    Also, he is a liability - injury wise. He gets injured alot and with his style of wrestling, he cant work well injured like, for example Triple H can.

I don't accept this. He worked with his recent knee injury for many weeks and still put on many great matches. I don't think he does get injured alot. His recent injury is the only one I can remember keeping him off our screens.

I also disagree about him being selfish. He has put over many guys in recent years. Watch his match against Orton on a Raw show about a year or two ago for the IC title and watch Orton f*ck up lots of spots. The match ends with Orton putting RVD on the ropes and hitting a DDT pinning Rob cleanly. I don't think this was the planned finish.

As for the idea he will never hold the top prize due to him not being a creation of Vince, was Benoit? Was Eddie Guerrero? Was Goldberg?

Muhammad Hassan
    Since the fans expect RVD to do some high flying risky spots, that is why he cant work as well injured as someone like Triple H whose primary arsenal can be used while injured.

As for him being selfish, I've never met him and wouldn't comment on something like that.

Benoit never made it over as champ, neither did Eddie which reflects in where they are on the card these days. Eddie playing around in tag matches and meaningless feuds while Benoit, still over with the crowd as a great technical wrestler is just not in contection for a title.

Goldberg was a failure in WWE.

• Advertisement

Booker T
    Since the fans expect RVD to do some high flying risky spots, that is why he cant work as well injured as someone like Triple H whose primary arsenal can be used while injured.

But the high flying risky spots were still being used by RVD!

Benoit never made it over as champ, neither did Eddie which reflects in where they are on the card these days. Eddie playing around in tag matches and meaningless feuds while Benoit, still over with the crowd as a great technical wrestler is just not in contection for a title.

They never made it over as champ? That's your view and it is a wrong one as far as I'm concerned. I think Benoit was the greatest champion the WWE has had in many years and Eddie was way over as was Benoit. Also, the reason Benoit is not in contention for a title is because management (Triple H) won't let him be in contention! We're stuck with Batista now!
    Goldberg was a failure in WWE.

Maybe so, but he held the top prize in WWE and he was not a WWE creation. If he can do it, why not RVD? Plus I think we'll all agree RVD is a far better worker than Goldberg ever was.

Muhammad Hassan
    RVD is a legend in the business, Goldberg is merely an anomaly.

Quite simply, I think RVD is past it. He is unpopular in the WWE, that much is clear from the many reports going around on the net. Vince will not give him a push at this stage in both his career and their relationship. Its pretty clear that Vince wants his strap on a big muscle bound fker. Thats why Batista has the title and clearly more talented wrestlers like Mysterio and Eddie are card fillers.

Benoit as champ was over due to the fact that fans were happy to see a great wrestler rewarded for his efforts over the years. In my opinion though, he couldn't run with it. He has no charisma and no mic skills. Unfortunately, the wwe product is not solely intended for the likes of me and you, smart fans of wrestling. that is clear to see in John Cena. The guy can't work but is over with the kids (and those with the mind of kids).

Eddie as champ had a better run cos he has charisma and is pretty much the total package when it comes to a wwe wrestler - the only drawback being his height. He still was only ever gonna be a transitional champion.

Im not saying I agree with all these things - Hell, if I had my way, Angle would be champion and that would be that. Its just that with Vince and his cronies writing the stories, RVD will just rot away, Benoit and Eddie will mid card with the occasional blip, Triple H and Batista will trade the title until Trip beats Ric's record and we will be forced to watch Kane v Viscera for the rest of our lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Shelton Benjamin
    I agree with a couple of earlier posters that Christian deserves a push, most likely on Smackdown. The in-ring mic time at Backlash seemed to be building him up as a main event wrestler who might get drafted to Smakdown. He's been talking / rapping about Cena, which might give us a clue as to where he is going.

He would make a great 'cheating' champion. I.e. a champ that is consistently out powered in the ring, but who somehow behind the referees back grabs tights, puts legs on the ropes for leverage, etc. Like a cross between Eddie and Kurt Angle (in his earlier days). He could get through maybe 1 title and 2 or 3 defences.

He deserves it in my opinion. He is starting to turn into a cult hero. The John Cena / Hulk Hogan brigade will always boo him, but more clued in fans will be cheering him.

Booker T
    DC wrote:
    I agree with a couple of earlier posters that Christian deserves a push, most likely on Smackdown. The in-ring mic time at Backlash seemed to be building him up as a main event wrestler who might get drafted to Smakdown. He's been talking / rapping about Cena, which might give us a clue as to where he is going.

He would make a great 'cheating' champion. I.e. a champ that is consistently out powered in the ring, but who somehow behind the referees back grabs tights, puts legs on the ropes for leverage, etc. Like a cross between Eddie and Kurt Angle (in his earlier days). He could get through maybe 1 title and 2 or 3 defences.

Christian could be a similar champion to what Jericho was. I think it was a bit too bad for Y2J though as he couldn't even beat Maven without cheating. Hopefully he'll get a push on Smackdown. Current rumours suggest he is on his way there while Angle will be going to Raw. I hope Angle doesn't go to Raw however as I want to see him at the RDS!

Carlito
    I don't think Angle will be drafted to Raw as he IS due to be at the RDS in a triple threat match against Cena and JBL with Stone Cold as the Special Guest Referee

Booker T
    andyman wrote:
    I don't think Angle will be drafted to Raw as he IS due to be at the RDS in a triple threat match against Cena and JBL with Stone Cold as the Special Guest Referee

I hope you're right andyman but the fact is he's going nowhere on Smackdown right now and Michaels spoke about him and Kurt having another match so you never know...

Somehow, I doubt the event in the RDS is high on the creative teams list of priorities. It does after all say - Card Subject To Change.

In fact i reckon its fair to say that the card for the RDS will have little effect on the draft.

If Angle is traded i'll be dissapointed, but its quite possible, and will make for some great feuds - Jericho/Benoit/HHH etc.

Booker T
    gimmick wrote:
    If Angle is traded i'll be dissapointed, but its quite possible, and will make for some great feuds - Jericho/Benoit/HHH etc.

Wow you're right. I'd love to see Angle and Benoit go at it again. That would be excellent.

Booker T
    Wow you're right. I'd love to see Angle and Benoit go at it again. That would be excellent.

Can ya imagine putting the title back on one of em and havin em square off in a 60 Minute iron man match!?!

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................................... sorry i was drooling.

• Advertisement

Carlito
    Does anyone have any idea when the Draft Lottery is due to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Carlito
    two weeks on RAW unless i lost count. I'm almost certain Vince said two weeks ago that it would be a month away. That would make the May 23rd write after Judgement DAY. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Booker T
    Angle to Raw would be fantastic plus it leaves the feud with Shawn Michaels open again. Remember Micheals hinted a rematch on Raw a while ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

I would love to see Chris Master as new Champ in the next 1-2 years.... he is probably my #1 at the moment along with HHH.

Also Hassan will do well, and Orton will come back better than before in a few months time and would like to see him as new WWE Champ on SD.

Edge is ok, but not good enough to be a long-term Champ, nice to see him winning against Jerico though, time for him to be "demoted" to SM.

Shelton Benjamin
    I would love to see Chris Master as new Champ in the next 1-2 years.... he is probably my #1 at the moment along with HHH.

I hope to god you're joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Christian

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Brow wrote:
    Angle to Raw would be fantastic plus it leaves the feud with Shawn Michaels open again. Remember Micheals hinted a rematch on Raw a while ago?

More like Michael's to Smackdown so he'll be at the RDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Fozzy wrote:

I hope to god you're joking!

Absolutely not, and you will see I am right.

Other
    Thats complete false. RVD is probably one of the most injury free wrestler on the roster since he's come in. He's had 2 fairly serious injuries in his career but when you consider his style thats an achievement plus I read that the guy stretches an hour everyday which has really helped him out. Injury prone no way. I think the injury kinda came at a good time for him. Fans will have missed him and his character will seem alot fresher when he comes back. But they missed the boat with him when he first came in. He was supposed to be a heel and he was unbelievably over and still is but the way WWE have treated him he has lost credibility amonst the casual fan as being a potential heavyweight champion.

Shelton Benjamin
    Absolutely not, and you will see I am right.

Before the guy had even debuted I had heard Jim Cornette basically saying that he was a bit of a dodgy worker and didn't perform to a very high standard. So I had my reservations beforehand, and he has done nothing to convince me otherwise of any decent ability he has. It's horrible watching him in the ring, and he broke Stevie Richards nose in his first match! Hope Stevie gets a push when he comes back :)

Booker T
    Thats whats wrong with the company. Guys with a physique, in this case Masters who wn that Mt Olympia competition gets signed with no background in wrestling yet gets tv time everyweek on the main show. Stevey Richards who worked his way to the top through indies and other feds and has an abundance of skill in the ring and on the mic have to job and risk injury to these rookies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement