Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 strings anyone?

• 01-05-2005 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Just saw this beast on another message board, and thought to myself, I just HAVE to post it.

Tuned F# - A
    I'd nearly buy it myself if I had that kinda money.

Seems a lot of people are getting disenchanted with extended range guitars, first that fellow selling the 8 string, and now this. What's up with that? Hell, even Steve Vai doesn't use his 7 strings anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

thats gotta be a bitch to tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

Maybe its just me but I really don't see the need for more than 6, possibly 7 strings on a guitar. Would such a beast need a special amp or could a standard guitar amp deal with the extended range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Yeah you can get 9string amps in Argos beside the Kettles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

Hey Karl, why don't you just get a bass?
    "Because I can't switch to bass mid song obviously you moron!"
    Aha, I see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Could someone explain to me how on Earth you could play a nine string guitar? Even seven. You cant play chords can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

i presume you'd have to be very good at damping the strings. I can't imagine much beyond 4 string chords or power chords in general, i don't think these instruments are for people who strum that much at all. Riffing and soloing maybe, although someone will no doubt tell me the opposite as i have had no experience with an extended range guitar.

Well, besides the extended scale runs thanks to the extra strings, you could play chords, possibly on all nine strings. Even the simplest G chord uses all 6 strings on a regular guitar. A 9 string chord wouldn't be impossible although it'd be hard with those angled frets.

yeah the practically diagonal frets are what i don't get, i mean, do they have to be directed like that for te 9 strings to work?

ps absolutely no one is gonna buy the guitar for that price, not to play anyway.

The slanted frets are for getting perfect intonation. The low string has a scale length of 25.5". The high string is 23.4" (I think). Using the formula to get fret spaces (which I can never remember), the frets have to be slanted.

• Advertisement

well i did think it was to do with intonation, but i thought surely with technology today there would be a way around having to slant the frets, ah well sure, very odd indeed.

It's nothing to do with technology. A guitar is an imperfect instrument. There's a couple of ways of "fixing" the imperfections, one of which is the slanted frets. A compensated nut and the Buzz Feiten system are others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd love to try a guitar with fanned frets myself, it seems like a very good notion altogether. I don't think there'd really be much hassle playing chords, it would just take some getting used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I can't see it being any harder than to play fretless. In fact, the angle of the frets is more suited to the natrual angle your hand takes there anyway.

Makes sense, Doc.

Damned wish I had a few grand lying about to get yonder Conklin guitar, and try it out for myself. Pooh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Hey, I've got a few spare grand lying around here somewhere... oh no, wait, that's somebody else :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

just looked at the buy it now price on that...almost $8000 jesus thats enough for everything you'd ever need holy ****

Aw... it ended with no buyer.

Perhaps I'm the only one excited about attempting sweeps on that baby?

Advertisement